It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quick Question About Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
My question is about Mars's red color. I know its red because of iron oxide, but is that because of precipitation? Or I thought that it needed oxegen in the air to help create it. The earth has massive amounts of oxegen because it was a by product of life . So can mars be red because before it "died" there were plant or plant like life forms that placed oxegen in the air?

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
These two sites may answer your questions.

The short answer does not explain where all of the iron oxide comes from, though. There is a larger percentage of iron on the Martian surface than there is on other planets. The exact source is unknown, but many scientists believe that it came from the volcanoes that used to erupt all over the planet. When the Sun’s radiation and the solar wind break down water molecules that are in the Martian atmosphere they interact with, and oxidize, the iron. That process would take billions of years to cover the planet. Scientists have two theories about how the red dust became so thick and spread so widely across the surface.

source: www.universetoday.com...

and.....

QUESTION: Why is Mars red? ANSWER: Oxygen from water and from the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere combined with minerals, mainly iron, in the rocks and dust. It is this oxidised iron, the rust, that gives Mars its red colour.

quest.arc.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by dcmb1409

Still didnt answer the third question. Or did u "somehow" forget it.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SonoraUndergroundLabs

I'm sorry, thought I was helping out by giving some sites to look at for answers to a question. Didn't know I was taking a test. Maybe someone else will help out as I'm not in the test taking mood at the moment.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

You didnt answer the main question to the whole post. And no wonder u couldnt pass English. Plus you answered a theory with another theory? It says right there. :l

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonoraUndergroundLabs

You didnt answer the main question to the whole post. And no wonder u couldnt pass English. Plus you answered a theory with another theory? It says right there. :l

Are you trying to find an answer or just wanting to have a go at people? The guy tried to help you. I was about to until I read your responses to the only guy to try to help you.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonoraUndergroundLabs

Perhaps you should look for your own answers, try google.
While your at it maybe look for spellchecker, your grammar
and manners are both quite juvenile

edit on 2-1-2012 by LeLeu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SonoraUndergroundLabs

Yes LeLeu is right, your manners could be better. Welcome to ATS and try to be a little bit nicer please, especially if you are asking for help, like getting answers to your questions.

The answer to your third question is, nobody knows. We have no evidence about the existence or non-existence of ancient life on Mars. So if there was life on Mars, it could have been a factor. If there wasn't, obviously it wasn't.

You're right that we think ancient life on Earth played a role in banded iron deposits and the formation of reddish iron oxides on Earth. But we KNOW there was life on ancient Earth, and we also know that life isn't the only way free oxygen can be created. It can also be created by ionizing radiation from the sun breaking apart water molecules, and other methods, some of which are discussed in the links already provided to you.

top topics

join