It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Occupy Wall Street’ Participation To Earn Class Credit At Columbia U.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Check this out, if you are a student at Columbia University in NYC you can take a course to become involved in the OWS movement. The course will be run by the anthropology department.

newyork.cbslocal.com...

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — Columbia University will offer a new course for upperclassmen and grad students next semester. An Occupy Wall Street class will send students into the field and will be taught by Dr. Hannah Appel, a veteran of the Occupy movement.

he course begins next semester and will be divided between class work at Columbia’s Morningside Heights campus and fieldwork that will require students to become involved with the Occupy movement outside of the classroom.

The course will be called “Occupy the Field: Global Finance, Inequality, Social Movement” it will be run by the anthropology department.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
do they teach meaningful things in class anymore?

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Double post, sorry.
edit on 2-1-2012 by Fitch303 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Wth triple post? Getting a little impatient with the submit button.
edit on 2-1-2012 by Fitch303 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Liberal university offering credit to partake in a Liberal movement, which over the next year will be morphed into a political tool for the Democratic Party.

Surprised by this bias? No.. absolutely not.

It is ironic to note that Democrats have only 50% the total number of college graduates as registered members as compared to Republicans, yes you read right.. Republicans have twice the number of bachelor degree holders. And 50% of all graduate degree holders are Dem/Rep, split right down the middle. Yet only 11% of professors admit to being Conservative. Most of those are no doubt from private universities. Personally I've only ever had one professor who was conservative. Interesting.
edit on 1/2/2012 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by Swills

Liberal university offering credit to partake in a Liberal movement, which over the next year will be morphed into a political tool for the Democratic Party.

Surprised by this bias? No.. absolutely not.

It is ironic to note that Democrats have only 50% the total number of college graduates as registered members as compared to Republicans, yes you read right.. Republicans have twice the number of bachelor degree holders. And 50% of all graduate degree holders are Dem/Rep, split right down the middle. Yet only 11% of professors admit to being Conservative. Most of those are no doubt from private universities. Personally I've only ever had one professor who was conservative. Interesting.

Thanks for that info. Do you have a link to these stats? I'm not bashing you, just really interested because it makes total sense. The liberals have taken control of Hollywood, as you know it's like a crime to be conservative or to make any conservative based movies there. It took 18 years for Atlas Shrugged to be made because no one would finance it!!!

I hate liberal teachers to death. Politics has no place in a religious class. I took a class to learn about Christianity not New Age mumbo jumbo. I'm not religious at all, just wanted to learn about the actual religion and not hermits meditating to God not sure if they believed in Jesus or not haha. Strange things came up in that class.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

en.wikipedia.org...

Education. Self-identified Republicans are significantly more likely than Democrats to have 4-year college degrees. The trends for the years 1955 through 2004 are shown by gender in the graphs below, reproduced from a book published by Joseph Fried.[77]

Regarding graduate-level degrees (masters or doctorate), there is a rough parity between Democrats and Republicans. According to the Gallup Organization: "[B]oth Democrats and Republicans have equal numbers of Americans at the upper end of the educational spectrum — that is, with post graduate degrees..."[77] Fried provides a slightly more detailed analysis, noting that Republican men are more likely than Democratic men to have advanced degrees, but Democratic women are now more likely than Republican women to have advanced degrees.[78]

Republicans remain a small minority of college professors, with 11% of full-time faculty identifying as Republican.

Another thing I find interesting.. is that college students aged 18-28 are far more likely to be Democrats .. but once they graduate and join "the real World" with a "real" job and start raising a family, their voting trends move significantly towards Republicans.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by jjf3rd77

Another thing I find interesting.. is that college students aged 18-28 are far more likely to be Democrats .. but once they graduate and join "the real World" with a "real" job and start raising a family, their voting trends move
significantly towards Republicans.

Thanks for that! Yeah it's because the majority of college students are taught to "think" not about what's practical for society or the current state of affairs. I only know a few of my friends who are truly independent. College not high school is when most kids figure out their lives and join the world for the first time getting their first jobs and whatever. Up until then, it's been their mommys and daddys supporting them.

top topics

join