It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Cosmic Rays Can Image the Throat of an Active Volcano

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Cosmic-ray muons that pass through Mount Vesuvius could reveal the interior structure, potentially indicating when the deadly volcano will next erupt.

www.scientificamerican.com...

The volcano that buried Pompeii in 79 A.D. still rumbles deep down. Last erupting in 1944, Mount Vesuvius poses an ever-present threat to the Italian populations around Naples. Whether the volcano will erupt in Pompeiian proportions again is a question that preoccupies scientists monitoring it, as they hope to predict when Vesuvius will blow and provide adequate warning time.

There is a good video clip of the upcoming NOVA program on the link above. Unfortunately, I cannot embed the video. This should be an interesting program that I will definately have to see. NOVA is one of the few shows that I ever even turn my tv on to watch.

Mod edit: From the Terms & Conditions:Proper Attribution for the posting of copyrighted material owned by others is defined as posting a relevant snippet of the online content not to exceed 10% of the entire piece, a properly formed link back to the source website, and a clear indication of the name of the source website
edit on 2/1/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

join