It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana bill would outlaw singing national anthem ‘inappropriately’

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
So, how many people here can sing The Star Spangled Banner appropriately? I know I can't.

Really, it's a horrible song. It's a dreary dirge. The average person can't sing it.
It is, as far as I know, the only national anthem in the world to glorify war.
I think they should change it to America the Beautiful.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by azbowhunter

I'll tell ya what........

Enlist as I have enlisted.
Promise as I have promised.
Train as I have trained.
Travel to far away and unfamiliar lands as I have traveled.
Place yourself in harms way, as I have.
Kill in the name of freedom and safety for those back home, as I have.

Then, and only then, will you have earned as I have earned to criticize the way our National Anthem is performed.

I have a grandpa in his 90's with 2 bullets in his back.
An Uncle still struggling with Agent Orange.
6 cousins in the service,1 in Afghanistan,all serving multiple tours.

I would bet EVERYONE has a loved one,who has served at one time or another.

That being said,Just because you have served doesnt give you ANY special right, earned or otherwise to criticize how our National Anthem is performed..

I salute your service and time defending this country,as I do ALL my fellow Americans,and family members serving,but this bill is preposterous.

Criticize,fine,or both??

God Bless America !

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by backwherewestarted

It is possible though I like the song better with a bit of a different rhythm to it. As long as the words are the same what does it matter? It is still the same song, it still has the same written meaning, and it would still mean the same in the hearts of those who enjoy it.

This is America, it is the home of the free, or at least it used to be. America used to always pride itself in being the country that let its people shine by being individuals with freedoms. It seems that is no longer the case.

Raist

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I so wish I could give you more stars.

I do not get what is going on in this country. The people have been turned against freedom. They are hanging their self willingly with their own rope.

This sort of legislation makes me sad deep inside. I cannot believe this sort of thing goes on in America.

Raist

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Behind this law there is a fat, wheezing, senile, fascist, white 60+ year old fundamentalist Christian.

They live for making these types of laws. It's literally the purpose of their existence.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Want to head over to the statehouse today and let them know what you think....er...there may be a problem with that (unless you are a lobbyist) with new rules just announced.

Statehouse rules limit access to Indiana lawmakers

Want to take an issue to the Indiana General Assembly when lawmakers return to work today? Get in line.

Literally.

Under new policies announced by the state, access will be limited to about 3,000 people. Sort of.

And members of the general public will have to enter only through the east entrance -- except for all the people who don't.

Those folks include not just government employees, but lobbyists, reporters, anyone attending a special event such as a school tour or today's prayer day, anyone with an appointment or court hearing, and anyone whom a legislator has told State Police to let in, such as people the lawmaker wants to testify for a bill.

Some officials are saying this is about safety, but critics contend it is fully in response to expected opposition on Indiana's so called, "Right to Work" legislation that labor strongly opposes. The measure was blocked last year when Democrats left the state to prevent a vote on this issue.

Other officials don't agree it's about safety.

Rep. Ed DeLaney, D-Indianapolis, said he's decided he will not meet with any lobbyist until this rule is rescinded.

"I cannot allow some groups to be favored over others," he said. "I can't let somebody filter who gets to talk to me, and let those who are paid to represent positions be free to talk to me and other people can't."

In either case, being heard in Indiana, unless you are a paid lobbyist, is getting more and more difficult. These folks might have some thoughts on this new "rule."

Source

O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

It's a question...

Peace
edit on 4-1-2012 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
This proposed law attempting to control how we can sing the national anthem was withdrawn by the sponsor this week.

Be well and do good things.

edit on 21-1-2012 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join