South Korea ready for nuclear talks with North

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

­President Lee Myung-bak of South Korea has said he is ready to resume talks on the subject of nuclear disarmament in exchange for aid with Pyongyang. Making the announcement on Monday, he nevertheless warned the northern neighbor against provocations. Since becoming president in 2008, Lee has repeatedly linked the aid program to North Korea’s disarmament progress – a policy in turn repeatedly slammed by Pyongyang. North Korea declared on Friday that there would be no softening of its position toward South Korea's government after Kim Jong-il's death and that the country would never deal with Lee.

This is a good step for both countries to start stabilizing the region. I wonder what type, if any, will the new supreme leader of North Korea will participate in? I know there isn't too much we know about him yet. I wonder if the military will support him? What are the experts forecasting for North Korea's new leader?

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I'm betting the North will tell them to get #ed
According to the North, there will be no changes whatsoever in Kim Jong Un's new Regime from that of Kim Jong Il's.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

meet the new boss, same as the old boss...

Kim Jong Un has had a very sheltered and controlled life so far. He has been indoctrinated in the thinking and beliefs of his father, to think that he would do anything differently, would have to assume he would have incentive to do so.

in his current state he is viewed as a godlike figure, who would give that up?

i would like to believe that things would change and the north would prosper in peace with its neighbors. it isnt going to happen though. that country is solidly isolated, nothing changes in a vacuum.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911
This is a good step for both countries to start stabilizing the region.

Why would this be a good step for both countries to start stabilizing the region? Didnt you read that NK will NEVER deal with Lee???? Its the other way... DEstabilizing, I would say. Or am I missing something?

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
I'm betting the North will tell them to get #ed
According to the North, there will be no changes whatsoever in Kim Jong Un's new Regime from that of Kim Jong Il's.

You're probably right. No significant regime changes. It's still a "fresh wound" and not enough time has passed between Kim Jong Il's death and his son taking power. I read that his uncle is "assisting" him out quite a bit. I wonder who will be calling the shots? Is there a sith master lurking somewhere in the shadows?? (sorry couldn't resist
)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
OP, did you missed my post?

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by verschickter

Originally posted by Cosmic911
This is a good step for both countries to start stabilizing the region.

Why would this be a good step for both countries to start stabilizing the region? Didnt you read that NK will NEVER deal with Lee???? Its the other way... DEstabilizing, I would say. Or am I missing something?

No, I didn't read that. Well, that's a game changer then isn't it?

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I suppose. But why would this stabilize the region?

new topics

top topics

join