It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ADHD drugs shortage causing hundreds of complaints every day

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
As someone who takes Ritalin every day, I can totally agree with the main premise of this article, in that I am in a constant search to find a Pharmacy that can fill my Ritalin. I initially thought this might be due to the fact that it can be abused, so they might only keep a certain number in stock. Now I am not so sure if it is that, or because so many people are on Ritalin and other ADD or ADHD medication. I have found however that if you use the same pharmacy each time, they keep enough in stock for you and know that you will be coming ever couple of months to fill it.

Now as far as the undertones of this post, OP, it is something that tends to work me up in a way that I don't get worked up unless it's a debate over Breastfeeding/Not Breastfeeding or anything involving the top childhood debates that go on which infuriate me. I believe wholeheartedly that there is a place for ADD or ADhD medications.

Ritalin I know for sure (not sure about the other medications) is not only used to treat ADD or ADHD, but also in the treatment of Narcolepsy and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I am personally not a sufferer of the hyperactive aspect that sometimes accompanies ADD, I am at the other end of the spectrum.

My own Dr. was really at a crossroads when choosing to put me on Ritalin. My symptoms were not classic ADHD, they were close to ADD, but most importantly they looked a lot like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Without going into personal medical information I'll sum it up by saying, I could not finish anything I started and I could not get out of bed.

Within a few days of being on Ritalin, the clouds cleared. I was no longer in La-La-Land in my mind, I could organize my thoughts and priorities, and most importantly I had the energy to get out of bed and accomplish them. If I do not take my medication, I do not get ill or crave it. I simply sleep 20 hours a day and don't accomplish much. I daydream and fall asleep randomly throughout the day, in the middle of working on important things or even while at work. I'm like I was before the medication and that is all.

I was terrified to start taking it, I had a pre-conceived notion that it would turn me into a crackhead, but it didn't. Would I put my child on it? If his only other option was suffering through the childhood that I did in which I tried so hard to make good grades and to pay attention in school but failed over and over again, then I most certainly would. If I could have the years back where I dropped out of class after class and extended my college experience much longer than it should of been because I could not focus, I would in a heartbeat.

To sum up my opinion on this matter, I think that the shortage is something that needs to be corrected for all of us who need this medication in order to function in the society we live in. Now I am not saying it isn't over perscribed, or given to those who don't need it. I am sure it is like all other things (antibiotics to name one big one), but I just wanted to make a case for those of us whose lives have been changed for the better by ADD medication.

Thanks for the info OP, glad to see I am not the only one having trouble finding this medication.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

What about the adults?
Personally, I'm not a fan of anything "banned".

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Parents don't give kids attention they deserve because they are working for wages they don't deserve...That is the bottom line. Anybody who disagrees with me can send me to time out with a dunce cap...but I'm gonna kick scream and cry.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

Kids shouldn't be given this medicine especially, it should be 16 years old + only

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Simple Fact.... Psychiatric drugs are just another attempt by our wonderful government to control the masses. 30 years ago, 90% of these poison pill's didn't exist. We are in the "dumbing down" generation...pull up a seat and prepare your brains for softening.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join