It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ADHD drugs shortage causing hundreds of complaints every day

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

Yes, tink,

I agree with you about processed foods.

Humans were not designed to eat all the garbage we find in so much of our food.

Even my cat's food is probably purer than what I eat.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
reply to post by Nevetsx

Hi Nev,

But are you sure it is that? Just because someone told you that you had ADHD, it does not mean it is necessarily true.

Anyway, sorry if I have upset anyone - I really am not familiar with ADHD. I just know that drugging young people is certainly going to kill off their creativity.

I don't think you have upset anyone.
Mis-diagnosis happens alot with ADHD,
I've heard quite a few times that the creativity is diminished with these meds and I hate that part. Do I want to diminish my kids' creativity? no, of course not.
Do I want them to succeed in school and have a better self esteem and better/successful life? yes

It's really crappy to have to decide what is the better trade-off for your own child.

Why should there have to be a trade-off?
edit on 2-1-2012 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
A piece from my thread I thought would be helpful for people to help understand what ADHD is like:

A VERY IMPORTANT part to understand what it is like for the ADHD person: ADHD Children can exhibit a type of "hyperfocus" - intense concentration and single-minded focus when the activity is very interesting. This situation is most often found when ADHD Children play computer games. ADHD Children may have an amazing ability to hyperfocus on a computer game, one of the few things that moves fast enough to maintain their attention, unlike homework or routine chores. The hyperfocus found in ADHD Children is not a normal type of concentration or focus. Remembering the neurochemical aspects of Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), hyperfocus requires the child to use the maximum attention and sustained concentration available.For parents and teachers, imagine trying to thread a needle, in low light, while sitting in a row boat in the ocean - the waves tossing and rolling all the time. The amount of concentration required to thread that needle makes us anxious, tense, and irritable - as if somebody were asking us questions while we were trying to thread that needle. This is way ADHD Johnny is so fidgety while trying to listen to your conversation or correction.

and

This is where the anger issues come into play: To see it from the viewpoint of an ADHD Children -imaging trying to thread that needle for 30 minutes - then accidentally dropping the needle overboard. We'd have a few choice words or a bit of behavior problem as well.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I've had ADD my whole life but I wasn't diagnosed until I was 20 and didn't start taking adderall until about three years ago. I'm 33 now. My childhood was rough for myself and my parents. Every month I have to call around to area pharmacies to find who can fill my medication. It's a major pain in the butt.

To those who don't believe this disorder is real I tell you to shut it because you don't know what your talking about. It's extremely difficult to grow up with this, especially without a diagnosis and treatment. To not understand why you can't remember things. To not understand why you can't sit still and be quite when you're supposed to. To constantly piss people off in social situations because of interrupting them or making noises or because of fidgeting. The depression, anxiety and general lack of confidence that comes with knowing you're not normal and knowing something is wrong but not knowing what it is or what to do about it. It's hell pure and simple.

The best way I describe what it's like to have ADD / ADHD : Let's say you are watching television but you don't have control of the remote. You don't know when the other person is going to change the channel or how long they will stay on the channel they pick. Try it sometime. You'll get to experience a taste of the frustration we deal with every day.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917
I don't think you have upset anyone.
Mis-diagnosis happens alot with ADHD,
I've heard quite a few times that the creativity is diminished with these meds and I hate that part. Do I want to diminish my kids' creativity? no, of course not.
Do I want them to succeed in school and have a better self esteem and better/successful life? yes

It's really crappy to have to decide what is the better trade-off for your own child.

Why should there have to be a trade-off?

I can vouch for that. I was one of the first kids to be diagnosed back in the day, and took meds for it for a while. Honestly, it made me stupid, which is to say it made me into a normal person.

Am I smarter than above average? Yes. Are there drawbacks to the specific ways my brain operates also? Yes.

Today, I write music (among other things) for a living and wouldn't dream of taking the meds. In all honesty we have the same problem with personality that we have with gender. There is a fairly narrow parameter we expect from kids, and when that is not met something must be wrong.

Einstein would be institutionalized, along with Tesla, Ben Franklin, and many others I suspect. I am firmly against medications for anyone unless it is essential to existence or unless they have dangerous tenancies (which is relatively rare).

Peace
KJ

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by mus8472

If you can only locate the negative and not the positive to your specific brain function then I feel sorry for you (not in a mean way, I really mean it).

I am the same way as you and purposefully don't take drugs because of the robotic effect it creates. If you seek conformity that's fine, but there's nothing "wrong" with you really. I consider ADD to be best explained with two points:

1) It's like having multiple streams of thought operating at any single time. So while it may be harder to concentrate on any single thread, your processing and analyzing ability is greatly enhanced.

2) It essentially doesn't hamper attention, at all. It turns on a persons BS-meter. Think it's BS? Attention not required. Care about it? Have more attention than any normal person would have for that task.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by KrazyJethro

Hi Krazy,

Something I have always known is this:

Our so-called craziest people are the creators.

And other people just do not understand.

Let's save our creators. Even if that means living with them.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Hi Krazy,

Oh yeah, agreed. I'm no peach to live with, and my wife can attest to that. Personal will and practice help in coping in the normal person's daily business.

Personally, I say crazy stuff to pretty much anyone since I have a serious hatred of meaningless conversation. I really think ADD can be easily summed up with a difference in priorities. What a normal person identifies as noise or not important (read not written down in the brain) is not the same with ADD folks. We take in different info and process it better in some ways and worse in others.

It ain't easy being green

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro

Hi Krazy,

Oh yeah, agreed. I'm no peach to live with, and my wife can attest to that. Personal will and practice help in coping in the normal person's daily business.

Personally, I say crazy stuff to pretty much anyone since I have a serious hatred of meaningless conversation. I really think ADD can be easily summed up with a difference in priorities. What a normal person identifies as noise or not important (read not written down in the brain) is not the same with ADD folks. We take in different info and process it better in some ways and worse in others.

It ain't easy being green

I was "diagnosed" with ADD/ADHD as a young child and was of course passed on the the pharma-death squad for corrective dosage but fortunately after a short time my parents took me off Ritalin, whilst I was taking it I had no creativity or "spark" and was just an automaton but have since learned to deal with my brain on my own.

I find that most tasks I encounter on a daily basis will only occupy my mind for a brief moment then I am away doing something else, my mind runs much faster than my body can react and thus I can quickly become frustrated with a task and loose interest. as a designer/inventor I have hundreds of concepts that are 1/2 - 2/3 finished but no desire to peruse the concept any further as I have reached what I have come to call the "end phenomenon" where I feel I have pursued all avenues of a design and thus it holds no more interest for me, in my mind it is perfectly formed but thats as far as I want to take it.

my solution to completing mundane tasks is to occupy my brain whilst completing said task I will listen to audiobooks, podcasts (has to be something I have never heard before) which seems to allow my brain to "power down" for a short time so I can remain focused on a task I have no impetus to complete (dishes, housework and similar) if I do not do this I can find myself spending 3 hours on a task as I become hyper-focused on a small part of the task and become unaware of the passage of time.

I would agree with your statements Jethro that my fiancee can attest to my being difficult to live with an inability to conform to social norms, I cannot stand meaningless talk and prioritise tasks in a way that seems scattered and bizarre to almost everyone around me (except for my cousin who was also diagnosed with ADD)

as you can see I have just hyper focused on this reply and may have just blurted out a bunch of meaningless drivel but hopefully you can understand it.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I think ADHD is real, but not what it's made out to be. Attention management is a skill that needs to be learned. ADHD is a real thing like being bad at math is a real thing, but it's not an absolute, it's a variable. You want to get better at math, you spend time doing more math, that's all there is to it.

The ADHD equivalent of math homework is meditation. Meditation trains you to keep your attention focused on one thing for extended periods of time without wandering. Some people mistakenly place too much importance on the object of their focus during meditation, but what's important is training your attention to stay focused without distraction.

It could be said that the main purpose of meditation is to stamp out ADHD. I know it's the first thing I'd try with my kids before putting them on drugs.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I agree that there is a huge advantage to the way the brain of someone with ADD works. I take a low dose to where it's just enough for me to be able to focus when I need to but still be me and still have all the creativity as usual. I am a paramedic and the more chaotic things are the more I thrive. However at the same time if I forget th wrong thing or miss the wrong detail then somebody dies and it's my fault.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy
i nephew is on adhd drugs and i was shocked when i saw him on them....he was speeding off his head, grinding his teeth. 12 years old..

there is nothing good about that, just a child on drugs
edit on 2-1-2012 by jazzguy because: (no reason given)

I always thought that ADHD drugs have the opposite effect on ADHD children. As in, it calms them down.

So if your Nephew is high on ADHD drugs, it might be likely that he has been misdiagnosed.

I could be totally wrong though

edit on 2-1-2012 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TreehouseIndustries
I was "diagnosed" with ADD/ADHD as a young child and was of course passed on the the pharma-death squad for corrective dosage but fortunately after a short time my parents took me off Ritalin, whilst I was taking it I had no creativity or "spark" and was just an automaton but have since learned to deal with my brain on my own.

Indeed, same drug for me although I had a few alternative options too. I simply stopped taking it and my parents didn't really push it.

I find that most tasks I encounter on a daily basis will only occupy my mind for a brief moment then I am away doing something else, my mind runs much faster than my body can react and thus I can quickly become frustrated with a task and loose interest. as a designer/inventor I have hundreds of concepts that are 1/2 - 2/3 finished but no desire to peruse the concept any further as I have reached what I have come to call the "end phenomenon" where I feel I have pursued all avenues of a design and thus it holds no more interest for me, in my mind it is perfectly formed but thats as far as I want to take it.

Man, I can relate. I have 700-800 songs written, most of which are drafts, ideas, most of a song, etc. It helps in my field since I have a huge bank of ideas to draw from when time is critical or I need something fresh.

my solution to completing mundane tasks is to occupy my brain whilst completing said task I will listen to audiobooks, podcasts (has to be something I have never heard before) which seems to allow my brain to "power down" for a short time so I can remain focused on a task I have no impetus to complete (dishes, housework and similar) if I do not do this I can find myself spending 3 hours on a task as I become hyper-focused on a small part of the task and become unaware of the passage of time.

I love audiobooks, since I can effectively double my reading time. My silly books I listen to while driving, shopping, etc. It's nice, and since I almost never listen to the radio (lest I be tainted by pop music), it fills the gap nicely.

I would agree with your statements Jethro that my fiancee can attest to my being difficult to live with an inability to conform to social norms, I cannot stand meaningless talk and prioritise tasks in a way that seems scattered and bizarre to almost everyone around me (except for my cousin who was also diagnosed with ADD)

I really do think it's a priority issue, and one which can be overcome if really needed by the logic centers of our will. I frequently fill out forms randomly or backwards for no reason other than I'm not thinking about it.

as you can see I have just hyper focused on this reply and may have just blurted out a bunch of meaningless drivel but hopefully you can understand it.

Lol, you and I could be twins. I understood your post perfectly. Thanks

Peace
KJ

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Hi all.

Someone said:

I think alot of the problems our kids are having now have to do with processed foods/coloring/chemicals/preservatives
That is almost what I was about to write or ask.

Those dealing with ADHD, what do he/she/you eat ??
Is it full of sugar, aspartame, MSG, and similar$ ???

To help with ADHD, do you **at least** eat ORGANIC ???

We all know that sugars and similar$ are:
stimulant, frenzied, stir up, nervy, excitant, similar$. . .??? Right ?
[ English is NOT my main langage ! ] B-)
I say/ask that as a possible alternative cause of "febrile/febrility" ?

Possible cause/conclusion:
? = = = IMPORTANT to watch the DIETs = = = ?

Blue skies.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I am currently taking adderall xr. I am not on this med because of ADHD even though I do fit that diagnosis. I get overwhelmed and stressed out very easily. This was making me turn suicidal most of the time. A very low dose of adderall xr has made a world of difference. Basically, I don't lose my mind over the smallest things. I believe this med can be very helpful for some people. I also believe it is over prescribed. A lot of people on it don't need or are on a way higher dose than is necessary. If it makes you feel extremely energized the chances are pretty good you are on too much. You shouldn't get high off your meds.

From what I have been hearing, it is mainly the instant release adderall and the stronger adderall xr that has been hard to get. All the pharmacies in my area seem to have the low dose xr capsules.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I take adderall and had to go to a different pharmacy a few times due to the shortage but this was like a year ago.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Pharmaceutical Speed? Yeah, I can imagine that flying over the counter quicker than they can get it shipped to them...

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Ya, prescription amphetamines.

zzzzzzzz stuff is low dose, doesn't even get you high. Take some before you knock on it

edit on 1/2/2012 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

Words of wisdom my friend.

I have seen drugs mess the lives of many.

It saddens me how the doctors push this stuff on kids and the big pharmas cause fake shortages for various reasons.
edit on 2-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917
Brain scans of ADHD kids have proven it's validity. Look it up. The evidence is there.

Adderall is a double edged sword, it's still speed. Young kids are being prescribed with something very similar to methamphetamine. I know there is a difference in the two molecules, but the effects are almost identical. I have tried methamphetamine. Pass judgment all you want for my choice to do so, but I can tell you that adderall and meth are just about the same thing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join