It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ADHD drugs shortage causing hundreds of complaints every day

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Lack of ADHD drugs prompt hundreds of complaints daily

Shortages of medicines like Ritalin and Adderall are so endemic that some patients say they worry almost constantly about availability

Medicines to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder are in such short supply that hundreds of patients complain daily to the Food and Drug Administration that they are unable to find a pharmacy with enough pills to fill their prescriptions.

The shortages are a result of a troubled partnership between drug manufacturers and the Drug Enforcement Administration, with companies trying to maximize their profits and drug enforcement agents trying to minimize abuse by people, many of them college students, who use the medications to get high or to stay up all night.

Likened to coc aine high

Doctors wrote 51.5 million prescriptions for A.D.H.D. drugs in 2010, with a total sales value of $7.42 billion — an increase of 83 percent from the $4.05 billion sold in 2006, according to IMS Health, a drug information company.

Come on people...

ADHD, the new money cow of the pharma industry...at least that drug doesn't push people to suicide and murder... like another wonder drug : anti-depressants. It's gonna be a real threat when, for any reason, the anti-depressants run out...

Number of Americans taking antidepressants doubles

Almost Half of Americans Take At Least One Prescription Drug

Ridiculous...

Maybe some people will realize something...
ADHD doesnt exist
edit on 2-1-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
i nephew is on adhd drugs and i was shocked when i saw him on them....he was speeding off his head, grinding his teeth. 12 years old..

there is nothing good about that, just a child on drugs
edit on 2-1-2012 by jazzguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Look at the second post of the thread ADHD doesn't exist thread you provided. I agree totally as a mother of 2 boys with ADHD (out of 4 children total).

ADHD does exist. Would it be life threatning if they didn't have their meds? NO.
Would life be HELL for these children/teachers/parents/siblings? YES

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Brain scans of ADHD kids have proven it's validity. Look it up. The evidence is there.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917
Brain scans of ADHD kids have proven it's validity. Look it up. The evidence is there.

Yeah SOME kids have it, but most kids who are prescribed ADHD are not.

That's why I said SOME people will realize something... because some of them do NOT have ADHD.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I agree totally, that is often mis-diagnosed or even an excuse for misbehavior.

If it is a misdiagnosis, and meds are given, then they WILL act like they are on speed while on the medication

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I posted this information in another thread. I'm re-posting it here for your information.

Thomas Stephen Szasz (play /ˈsɑːs/ sahss; born April 15, 1920) is a psychiatrist and academic. Since 1990[1] he has been Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry at the State University of New York Health Science Center in Syracuse, New York. He is a well-known social critic of the moral and scientific foundations of psychiatry, and of the social control aims of medicine in modern society, as well as of scientism. His books The Myth of Mental Illness (1960) and The Manufacture of Madness: A Comparative Study of the Inquisition and the Mental Health Movement (1970) set out some of the arguments with which he is most associated.

wikipedia.org

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
ooooooh, I believe we're seeing the beginning of something that will be cataclysmic in its proportions should the economy collapse and international commerce come to a stand still.

"Hundreds of complaints" will turn into hundreds of thousands, or millions of severely unstable people who need their anti-depressants or anti-psychotic drugs....

Having gone through the tumult of not having anti-depressant medication for a long period of time, I can vouch that it is quite painful. All the problems that the pill is meant to correct come back with a vengeance, and then some. Someone with a psychotic disorder who gets off his meds will either kill himself or kill others, and people on anti-depressants, are likely to degrade to a similar state if they go without their drugs for a long enough period of time.

This is a SERIOUS possibility that not many people consider, but is enormous in its proportions. 1/3rd of the American public is on psychotropic drugs, meaning, if a situation should ever arise where people can't get their drugs, society is likely to turn into a lunatic asylum, as CG Jung in his 'aion lectures' predicted would be the result of a materialistic society that turns to medication for spiritual problems instead of religion and spirituality.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Sorry, I did not mean to sound like I was attacking you. Long story about my oldest boy who is now 15

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Good!

ADHD drugs should be banned.

It is criminal to dose children with ADHD drugs.

You have a difficult, hyper child?

Handle it sensibly, with boundaries, goals to attain, rewards and demerits.

Just, please, do not drug your kids.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917

Sorry, I did not mean to sound like I was attacking you. Long story about my oldest boy who is now 15

Nah I didn't think you were attacking me... just saying.

I think people with ADD are just thinking differently than the most of us. But apparently in our society, it's bad to be different so we drug our kids to think like everybody else so they do well at school and get friends.

Parents drug their kids so their kids don't end up alone in school. It's helping them in a way, but killing them in another way. I ain't blaming anyone...just observing.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
Good!

ADHD drugs should be banned.

It is criminal to dose children with ADHD drugs.

You have a difficult, hyper child?

Handle it sensibly, with boundaries, goals to attain, rewards and demerits.

Just, please, do not drug your kids.

If it was just hyperactivity to deal with, my 2 boys would not be on meds. But it makes the difference between being able to pass in school or fail and be held back year after year. Both my boys were held back in school a year before the meds, which was 8-10 years ago. Never since they began meds.
For my oldest son it also make a difference in his temper, and physically abusing the other children and myself. Why? I don't know. But it is a trait alot of ADHD kids have.
edit on 2-1-2012 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

Hi Tinker,

I am so sorry that you have 2 boys who are problematic.

I just wonder how other generations coped before we had ADHD drugs.

I don't like the idea of drugging kids, but what do I know?

Incidentally, my son was a real problem but I just thought you had to cope with it.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

I have had ADHD ever since I was little and I was never hyper. But I did horrible in school and did not focus very well until I got put on the meds. So the kids don't have to be hyper and be crazy when they have ADHD so sometime there are no boundaries to set.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Nevetsx

Hi Nev,

But are you sure it is that? Just because someone told you that you had ADHD, it does not mean it is necessarily true.

Anyway, sorry if I have upset anyone - I really am not familiar with ADHD. I just know that drugging young people is certainly going to kill off their creativity.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by dontreally
ooooooh, I believe we're seeing the beginning of something that will be cataclysmic in its proportions should the economy collapse and international commerce come to a stand still.

"Hundreds of complaints" will turn into hundreds of thousands, or millions of severely unstable people who need their anti-depressants or anti-psychotic drugs....

Having gone through the tumult of not having anti-depressant medication for a long period of time, I can vouch that it is quite painful. All the problems that the pill is meant to correct come back with a vengeance, and then some.

Yes, the amount of drugs that are specifically designed to cause harm if they are suddenly stopped is staggering. The pharmaceutical companies know it is in their interest to get people hooked on their products.

I knew a little girl once who was diagnosed with ADHD. The doctor prescribed dexamphetamines. The parents were thrilled when she got stuck into her schoolwork and started doing really, really well. Eventually they decided though, to wean her off the medication. The remainder of the bills ended up being bought by some junkies.

Both myself and a friend of mine couldn't help but giggle when we ran into a lady who had one of the junkies as a boarder. She was saying how "god-sent" they both were, out there on a 40 degree day, ripping up weeds in her backyard...

So in my experience, there is not much difference when taking this medication between "doing really well at school" and "gearing off your head".

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   

O I can guarente it kills off creativity lol! my mind was like crazy when I was little but as I grew up while taking the medicine my creativity slowy died. I am still a very creative person as I am going to school for art, but I definetely went dead in the creative area while taking this stuff. By the way when you take it, it feels like you can do everything 20 times faster than normal. Like for me when I draw I can draw a pretty good picture in a few hours, when I am on the medicine and draw it can take from like 15-30 mins with same quality its crazy lol.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Hi Nuc Paul,

I like your thinking!

I often find myself agreeing with you.

Happy New Year!

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Here is a thread I did on ADHD a while back. The brain scan links are no longer valid though I found out while posting in this thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think alot of the problems our kids are having now have to do with processed foods/coloring/chemicals/preservatives

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Nevetsx

Hi Nev,

Wow!

For every reason you have stated, we should NOT be drugging our kids with this drug.

Parents, please stop.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join