It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012=1968?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
History has time and time again been said to be the one thing that mankind has been doomed to repeat. This is why I am writing this thread. The links that I see between the years 2012 and 1968 are really starting to make me think that we are approaching one of those points where we as a society do not really understand the implications of our beliefs and actions due to those beliefs until many years later. The parallels between the two years are many.
Both are wartime election years
Dissenting viewpoints have created movements. The 60's had the Yippies/Hippies, today, ows related or inspired protest (don't forget your Guy Fawkes mask and if you do, just give it to the guy down the street that thinks it represents Ron Paul's campaign). Tea partiers unite!!! Don't let billionaires like George Soros tell you what to do, let billionaires like the Koch brothers do that instead.
People feel that "a change" is about to occur. Anecdotal accounts of both times that are easily accessible via the internet can back this one up.

Why did I post this in predictions when it seems like a rant?

Well, here comes the prediction.
Dissent and anger will only continue to grow in the midst of Lexus ads and Wall Street button downers increasing their wealth.
It is inevitable that their will be protests at both major parties' conventions. I only hope no shots are randomly fired and no one is injured or worse.
Oh, and Ron Paul won't be the nominee.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I have a feeling that you are indeed right, History is getting ready to repeat it self

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
But what was the out come of that year- that is whats more important to us

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

I only clicked be cause of the screwy math.

Let me read this.

Ok I will agree there are big time simalarities between the times. I don't know about how you have it narrowed down to the years tho. But SnF.
edit on 2-1-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
A book I read called Cosmos & Psyche by Richard Tarnas
said something similar about these two times 1968-2012.
He said A conjunction or alignment between Uranus and Pluto
would have countries in rebellion somewhere around late 2009
or early 2010*. He wrote that the last time a similar alignment happened
was 1966-1972. Revolution (Uranus) and Destruction and Rebirth (Pluto)
I challenge anyone who thinks of Astrology as nonsense to read
Cosmos & Psyche. Quite heady, and dripping with no nonsense.
*The book was released in 2006

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
then why isn't the music as good as 68? or am i just getting old lol
although the years has only just begun so a decent album or two could be released

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by oddnutz

Oh come on. We have Lady Gaga and Justin Beiber. What's your deal man?

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by oddnutz
although the years has only just begun so a decent album or two could be released

Supposedly, music is at its best during periods of economic downturn and war. I quit listening to the crap that is overplayed on the radio a while back, but I think that quality music is out there. There's just more distribution through other channels like the internet rather than the airwaves.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
The music of the late sixties shifted from conservative toward liberal ideas, with multi-cultural influences. The increased use of recreational drugs at that time lead to the psychedelic music of the era. I don't see changes that big happening in the music industry now. The only real difference I see in music these days is an emphasis on vocal artists with outrageous costumes and a choreographed dance team. You can forget any social or political commentary in song lyrics or album concepts these days. A lot of meaningless flash and no substance in stage shows too.

Perhaps the other areas of the arts have been going through revolutionary changes like those that happened during the sixties. I think the comparison would be how big of a change and how far reaching it became. The changes should be across the board.
edit on 2-1-2012 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Last 2 lines.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by the owlbear

Originally posted by oddnutz

Supposedly, music is at its best during periods of economic downturn and war. I quit listening to the crap that is overplayed on the radio a while back, but I think that quality music is out there. There's just more distribution through other channels like the internet rather than the airwaves.

Well that proved false then cause when Britain was last in an economic downturn with jobless millions we had the ska revival and New Wave of British Heavy Metal (or NWOBHM for short) writing songs about it and comign out with anthems for the disaffected.

"Breaking The Law" by Judas Priest for example and "Ghost Town" by The Specials.

In the last 3 years since it happened again?

Manufactured crap by the likes of One Direction, Cher Lloyd and others that have no meaning, no talent and nothing to say.

top topics

join