It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

advice please :)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Hey, so what it is, I'm 20 right now and have just recently started a new fulltime job as a bar maid.
However, I have recently realised I want to go back to college and complete my A levels which I failed to do when I left school.

Anyway, I figure its better late than never, the only thing is I have not found any infomation on how much this will cost, or even if I can actually do it whilst in work...or if I could get any financial help if required..

I want an education however cannot afford to stop working, does anyone know how this works?

Birminghan uk btw,

Any advice/info much appreciated

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Just do it, trust me. Their are alot more exciting things in life more than a bartender, find a job that you can actually use your brain.

Sorry I cannot help though im interested in an awsner.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

don't fret girl i didn't get my o or a levels i went to college in Chesterfield as part of my engineering apprenticeship passed all the courses with distinction but on Moving to Australia none of that was recognised here so now im a painter in other words opportunities arise and we have to grab them no matter how much college you have done use your intellect to go forward all the best

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
If you are able to move to USA...

In the USA many companies offer tuition reimbursement. It still may cost so much that loans are required.

Consider that many are without employment in spite of having degrees and even advanced degrees. A degree is no guarantee of success. And you may have to incur significant debt to earn a degree.

I have a 19 year old and I have no good suggestions for him. He thinks teaching is a good idea. He is on that path.

Sometimes here you can find programs that will pay for your education in exchange for a promise to work for your benefactor. Sometimes doctors are sponsored by small towns in remote locations that may not get a doctor any other way. The military puts most of their medical types through school. Here we have some programs to put teachers through school.

The military was a great way to get started and learn a skill when I was getting started and that is what I did. I was in the active Navy for 7 years and then in the reserve for 15. At present I am using my old Navy skills at work rather than my BSEE degree.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by alexs
reply to post by Sinny

don't fret girl i didn't get my o or a levels i went to college in Chesterfield as part of my engineering apprenticeship passed all the courses with distinction but on Moving to Australia none of that was recognised here so now im a painter in other words opportunities arise and we have to grab them no matter how much college you have done use your intellect to go forward all the best

ive known of indian nuerosurgeons... who come to australia and end up as taxi drivers...

we dont recognise anyone skills in this country. you come here, you are doing manual labour biatches!
sad.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by okamitengu

Originally posted by alexs
reply to post by Sinny

ive known of indian nuerosurgeons... who come to australia and end up as taxi drivers...

we dont recognise anyone skills in this country. you come here, you are doing manual labour biatches!
sad.

You would think the United States would be the place to accept smart people for proffesions... I reallllyyyy hope your wrong or picked a case out of a 1000.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by EmperorXyn

XYL does hiring for a major drug store chain. She has people with skills and degrees walking in everyday willing to take ANY job. It is really tough out there.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Thanks for the input guys, even if I haven't heard anything optomistic yet lol.

And don't worry I'm under no illusion as to how the job market is, this is a personal goal I've set myself.

I considered HMS armed forces, but was rejected on medical grounds.

A blessing in disguise I've come to realise.
edit on 1-1-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I heard the Canadians have bars on their Navy ships. Maybe work as a civilian for the Can. Navy and go to school on your off time. US Navy ships have some college classes at sea.

If you have any special language skills USA always needs those.

It is funny, I apply for jobs online that I am qualified for but never get a response. And I have been there in person, interviewing for a job and she is musing, "I have to fill this job". It is almost like there is something wrong with the HR people.

There is another thread about police officers where they refused applicants with the higher test scores in favor of applicants with lower test scores. Whole world is upside down.

ATS Link

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Hi - perhaps you could start by engaging in correspondence study. I recall years ago that is how I kick started my education after many years of being in the workforce. The one I chose was advertised in magazines. If they are still available you can pay for the course without racking up huge debts.

I watched a documentary recently about the college education system in America and sooooo many students end up with massive debts - it is criminal - debts of $100,000+ - it's insane.

So - courses where you can pay upfront and then dive in and learn. Okay so it's a piece of paper - but - sometimes a piece of paper will get you the job because at least it showed initiative and responsibility. Good luck.

As for people coming to Australia and their qualifications not being recognised - I worked in a supermarket with a woman who was working on a cash register and in her country was a gynaecologist and in another supermarket I worked with a man who mopped the floors and in his country he was the editor of the literature and arts section of the largest newspaper. He loved to chat with me and practice his english and he would regale me with the plots and characters of literary masterpieces. This world is so upside down!

Much Peace...stimulate your intellect with learning you deserve it...

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I must tell you about this crazy law we have in California.

The California “Dream Act” (AB 131) is a new state law signed by Governor Brown that allows, among others, the children of illegal immigrants to apply for financial aid at most California public colleges and the community college system. The primary program is the Cal Grant, which pays up to several thousand dollars of college costs annually per student.

Source link

We have many, many illegal immigrants here. The people who run the state are sympathetic to them so against public opinion they passed this crazy law that pays for school for illegals when natives can not afford to go. California is very friendly to foreigners. Do you speak Spanish?

new topics

top topics

join