It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Blast Topples Connecticut Church

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
No injuries are reported after a explosion toppled an old Ukranian church today. The cause of the explosion that happened at 7am this morning is not yet clear.

abcnew.go.com
COLCHESTER, Conn. Sept. 10, 2004 � A powerful blast leveled a decades-old Ukrainian church early Friday, shaking nearby buildings and tossing debris hundreds of feet. No injuries were reported.

The cause of the 7 a.m. explosion at St. Mary's Ukrainian Catholic Church was not immediately clear. The brick building had an indoor propane tank for cooking, state police Sgt. J. Paul Vance said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The area and highways have been closed off and families around the area have been evacuated.

The church was built in 1955 and served at least 55 families.

[edit on 10-9-2004 by deeprivergal]

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Very Intresting a Ukraine Church "Russian's" very very intresting, so now what the Checz are going to start blowing up Russian Orthodox churches all over the world.. Got to love this.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I was born and raised in Connecticut.
I wonder where all the radical checz are.
I don't remember seeing any.

Then again, i wasn't looking for them.

Well, this IS interesting. Time will tell
what's going on. Looks like the Muslim
radicals have declared war on Russia.

Welcome to WWIII Russia. Yes, this is
a World War.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I was born and raised in Connecticut.
I wonder where all the radical checz are.
I don't remember seeing any.

Then again, i wasn't looking for them.

Well, this IS interesting. Time will tell
what's going on. Looks like the Muslim
radicals have declared war on Russia.

Welcome to WWIII Russia. Yes, this is
a World War.

Born and raised? So was GW Bush! Anyway, it looks like the propane tank they had inside have declared war, not radical Muslims, but I guess it is easier to say Muslims did it, so ok. Radical Muslims blew up a church!

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Awww gawd.

With all these GWB this and Bush that, I thought the topic read "Bush Topples Connecticut Church".

ROFL!

[edit on 10-9-2004 by DaRAGE]

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Here's a pic of the church after the explosion

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Im sorry, but an indoor propane tank could not of caused a building of that statue to crumble like that, especially when an indoor propane tank is normally no bigger than a 50lb tank and that building was mostly rock...

just my thought

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
That was caused by a propane tank? It must have been a big one if true. Especially with a brick building.

Tom

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Justmytype
Im sorry, but an indoor propane tank could not of caused a building of that statue to crumble like that, especially when an indoor propane tank is normally no bigger than a 50lb tank and that building was mostly rock...

just my thought

I'm in Oz so i use metric, but i can assure you that a large propane tank could easily cause
this kind of damage.
Sanc'.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Sanc,
Not to burst your bubble but this is the United States and a indoor propane tank for cooking by state code should be no bigger than a barebecue tank unless it is piped in from outside as a source of heating. Also a barbecue tank normally holds no more than 25lbs and now all have safety switches inside the nozzle to prevent them from igniting themselves. On the other hand, not to debate this but a barbecue tank will not blow through a rock building, it might blow through some 2X4's and some sheetrock but not level an entire church.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Point taken. But when a tank goes off, it goes off! Major percussion effect.
My Bro' is a 'firey' with the cfa.

Sanc'.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Sanc,
I do not disagree with you on that fact. I was a Volunteer Firefighter in my town and yes even a barbecue tank when they do blow, has awesome percussion but not enough to level a church made of stone. I actually saw one that blew and took the deck off of someones house and blew out the back windows but not enough force to level thier house.

just my thoughts.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Also there is no sign of charring and the debris looks to be have thrown from inside.

Sanc'.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
There is one thing possible here, I doubt propane, but if there heating source was natural gas, That would definately make a blast of that magnitude but I guess we are both going to have to wait and see what the actual Fire Report states was the cause of this explosion. On the other hand if they were using propane that was being piped in by an outside tank, the explosion would of happened on the outside of the building as well as inside but then all the debris would basically be to either the left or right of where the tank was positioned outside of the building.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   

On the other hand if they were using propane that was being piped in by an outside tank, the explosion would of happened on the outside of the building as well as inside but then all the debris would basically be to either the left or right of where the tank was positioned outside of the building.

being piped in by an outside tank

Not if someone forgot to turn the stove/oven off.

Sanc'.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I'm still willing to believe that it was just a propane explosion. There are a number of variables that could have caused such devastation from what would seem like a fairly small amount of propane. A friend of mine was nearly killed when an almost empty propane tank exploded in a brick garage that was seperate from their house. He recieved burns on over 80% of his body as well as some internal concussive injuries and the garage was almost totally destroyed. If this church was poorly made...

Just doesn't seem like something that the Muslim terrorists would even try to pull off. It's too small of a job... and no one was killed. How could they have earned their way a bit closer to paradise if no infidels were killed?

Just my opinion.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Too clarify my first post was just speculation.."Very Intresting a Ukraine Church "Russian's" very very intresting, so now what the Checz are going to start blowing up Russian Orthodox churches all over the world.. Got to love this."

I highly doubt terrorist as well, but would really like to know how much propane, tank size, if natural gas was used in church ...etc

[edit on 10-9-2004 by Justmytype]

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
It seems abit odd, I have to agree with the firefighter that gave the information on state codes. I know that propane ovens have an igniter, wich is usually a piezo electric ignighter, coupled with that is a heat sensor that will shut off the flow of gas if a specific tempature is not reached. Normally you have to hold the gas switch in to allow for gas flow till the temp is reached, if the flame goes out then the oven shuts off the oven gas valve, now any thing behind that can cause problems. Limitattions do exist on the size of the tank that can be stored inside a structure and I think it is 25Lbs.

Now for the next portion, please dont misunderstand me here, Ukraineians take great offense in being called Russians, they are not Russians, after the end of WWII Stalin closed the borders with the Ukraine and starved to death over 40 Million Ukrainians, there is no love lost between Ukrania and Russia. I know this because I have employed and housed Ukrainins after the east was freed. They are a great and wounderful people, but never, and I mean never call them Russians.

As for the cause of the exploision, well, we have to wait and see.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jimcrispi
They are a great and wounderful people, but never, and I mean never call them Russians.

LOL. Good call Jimcrispi.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Looks more like C-4 to me...

My wife is of Ukranian descent....and used to live in Connecticut... Wonder if she ever went to it?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join