It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ranger shot, killed at Mount Rainier National Park (Park Closed Until Further Notice)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Ranger shot, killed at Mount Rainier National Park

www.thenewstribune.com

A 34-year-old park ranger and mother of two was shot and killed this morning at Mount Rainier National Park. The shooting occurred just before 11 a.m. in the Barns Flat area, about 1 mile below Paradise.

The ranger died from her injuries. Park spokesman Kevin Bacher identified her as Margaret Anderson. She is married to a fellow park ranger and has two children, who are approximately 2 and 4.
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1/1/2012 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
In the source article, this quote stood out:

Mount Rainier National Park has been closed until further notice, and the public is being urged to stay out of the area. News helicopters have been asked to not fly overhead.

In an attempt to not go too off-topic the quote above only strikes me as interesting due the very recent post that was posted here on ATS.

New Activity at Mt. Rainier Confirmed to Be Seismic (...or ICE?), Right here on ATS!

This quote within that thread makes this story very interestingly coincidental:

This means that we now know, before even the USGS has announced it, that we have a swarm at Rainier. And that is news. This is why ATS rocks!

I may be going entirely too far out on a conspiracy branch with this, but none the less, why are they asking news choppers to not fly over and totally closing the park for one shooter. I would assume it is defined as a safety measure.

In the event my conspiracy branch breaks beneath me and I fall to the ground I do hope they catch the alleged shooter and he's brought to justice accordingly.

www.thenewstribune.com

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Perhaps they are worried the noise may spook the assailant out and make him run further out? If he is still hiding in the park it can put others in danger to have it open. It would also allow the assailant to sneak out unnoticed if large crowds of people are moving in and out. (or she sorry, gotta be equal opportunity) I have a hard time believing it's some conspiracy to hide an imminent volcanic event. You can't hide such things.

edit on 1-1-2012 by antonia because: opps

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I hate to be "that guy" but HOLY CRAP!!!

Never in my life have I heard of a national park being closed to public, AND air traffic being blocked off for a murder. The timing is tooooooooooooo perfect!!! What is this the first time in... EVER that a ranger has been killed there? And it HAPPENS to take place when the mountain is showing signs of activity?!?!?

I love ATS

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Wow. That's awful.

How do you think the media will spin it?

A Paul supporter, Republican, or Holden agent behind the crime?

My condolences.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Yes that timing is incredible. Hopefully it is just coincidence and nothing more, but the conspiracy theorist in me thinks there is more to the story.
Closing off news choppers from any air traffic in the area is rather odd though.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
A quote from a Pierce County Sheriff spokesman in a USA Today article...

Troyer also said it appeared there were still visitors hiking on the mountain who could not be reached and were not aware of what was going on.

"We do have a very hot and dangerous situation," he said.

The uncanny nature of that quote is almost unbelievable imo.
edit on 1/1/2012 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I'm with everybody thinking that the circumstances are unusual and foreboding

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Police ID Benjamin Colton Barnes as 'strong person of interest' in fatal shooting of a Mount Rainier Park ranger:

hosted.ap.org...

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

I am sorry about the Ranger, but I am with you on your thoughts about a possible conspiracy! It seems extraordinary to close the Park and shut the airspace.

How could a gun man possibly be a threat to air traffic that is a considerable height above it? I have watch the air traffic and it is not in any danger IMHO.

You can watch air traffic here: www.flightradar24.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Coincidence? For some reason it does not feel like one.

This feels like something forboding. Just a gut feeling, obviously, but wow.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Now I thought Mount Ranier was on rsoe monitoring system as a level 8 vei...last night. Today it is not. May have been the bubbly...or lack thereof. Odd. Can't link at the moment...sorry.
just following the coincidences.

Peace

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Drug traffickers are planting millions of xxxxxxxxx near tourist sites in the United States, guarding their plots with heavy weaponry. "We destroy their plants and they come back, sometimes to the same spot, and replant," U.S. Forest Service Special Agent Russ Arthur told CNN.

link

Its a shame you cant even camp nowadays,in fear of crazy's with an agenda.

Prayers for the Rangers family.
edit on 1-1-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Police ID Benjamin Colton Barnes as 'strong person of interest' in fatal shooting of a Mount Rainier Park ranger:

hosted.ap.org...

I am sure I've watched way too many suspense movies, because that article just screams govt coverup to me!

Obviously this woman ranger exists/ed, so the question in my mind is, what did she discover?

Did she start asking questions? Was there unusual activity in the park, geologists coming in?

I may be overly imaginative right now, enjoying a new year martini at the moment, btw, happy 2012 everyone!

My condolences to her family.
edit on 1-1-2012 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala

hosted.ap.org...

Thanks for the link....from the article. This would be a darn good reason to close the park, until the man is found.

He is military and survivalist trained. Read the article. She was shot on a traffic stop.

Ranger shot and killed at Mount Rainier park

By MIKE BAKER
Associated Press
Ranger shot and killed at Mount Rainier park

Buy AP Photo Reprints

MOUNT RAINIER NATIONAL PARK, Wash. (AP) -- A Mount Rainier National Park ranger was fatally shot following a New Year's Day traffic stop, and the 368-square-mile park in Washington state was closed as dozens of officers searched for the armed gunman over snowy and rugged terrain.

Pierce County Sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer said late Sunday afternoon Benjamin Colton Barnes, a 24-year-old believed to have military experience and survivalist skills, was a "strong person of interest" in the slaying of Margaret Anderson. Authorities recovered Barnes' vehicle, which had weapons and body armor inside, Troyer said.

Authorities believed the gunman was still in the woods with an assault rifle. They asked people to stay away from the park, and for those already inside to leave

hosted.ap.org...

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
hosted.ap.org... Troyer said there were about 100 people hunkered down in lodges and cabins on the mountain. They were told to stay put because they could be in the line of fire. Armored vehicles were being brought in to ferry them safely out of the park. ....A military-style, armored vehicle was seen as police deployed resources into the evening.

A wise precaution, or typical police ninny-state overreaction?

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t

In the source article, this quote stood out:

Mount Rainier National Park has been closed until further notice, and the public is being urged to stay out of the area. News helicopters have been asked to not fly overhead.

In an attempt to not go too off-topic the quote above only strikes me as interesting due the very recent post that was posted here on ATS.

New Activity at Mt. Rainier Confirmed to Be Seismic (...or ICE?), Right here on ATS!

This quote within that thread makes this story very interestingly coincidental:

This means that we now know, before even the USGS has announced it, that we have a swarm at Rainier. And that is news. This is why ATS rocks!

I may be going entirely too far out on a conspiracy branch with this, but none the less, why are they asking news choppers to not fly over and totally closing the park for one shooter. I would assume it is defined as a safety measure.

In the event my conspiracy branch breaks beneath me and I fall to the ground I do hope they catch the alleged shooter and he's brought to justice accordingly.

www.thenewstribune.com

It is closed because there is a killer on the lose!

More than 100 law enforcement personnel from agencies including Pierce County Sheriff's Department, the FBI, Washington State Patrol, U.S. Forest Service and other local police agencies are at the park and searching for the suspect. Pierce County sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer said the authorities believe he is armed with an assault weapon and possibly other weapons.

Read more here: www.thenewstribune.com...=cpy

Id put nothing more into it....there is no evidence that it is anything other than what it is....

edit on January 1st 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by starviego

A wise precaution, or typical police ninny-state overreaction?

both. while they do provide public safety for those who have nothing to do with it, it is the perfect time to bring in those types of police state reactions to get the public well accustomed.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Don't you think

He is military and survivalist trained. Read the article. She was shot on a traffic stop.

is rather suspicious, reading that this shooter is military and survivalist trained? I think those are the new trigger words to scare the public. We no longer worry about average shooters, they have to be military/survivalist trained.

That in itself out of the article, is what made me go, bullxxxx! It's like the shooter on the military base in Texas, he was islamic, of course.

Got to build the most plausible and "scary" story.

edit on 1-1-2012 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
A new update,

The Suspect wanted in connection with the killing of Washington park ranger is also suspect in New Year's Eve party shooting

www.king5.com...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join