It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fracking wastewater might have caused Ohio quake

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Fracking wastewater might have caused Ohio quake

www.theglobeandmail.com

Officials said Saturday they believe the latest earthquake activity in northeast Ohio is related to the injection of wastewater into the ground near a fault line, creating enough pressure to cause seismic activity.

The brine wastewater comes from drilling operations that use the so-called fracking process to extract gas from underground shale. But Ohio Department of Natural Resources Director Jim Zehringer said during a news teleconference that fracking is not causing the quakes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.dailymail.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
USGS Report: Link Between Fracking and Oklahoma Earthquakes
Bombshell Report Links Water Contamination To Fracking For The First Time

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
This should come as no surprise as many of us have long suspected that there is a connection between fracking and earthquakes. Even the media is willing to hint at it.

I have noticed a lot of shallow 2-4 mag quakes over the last few weeks in areas subjected to heavy fracking. You can view these here.

We already know about the EPA admitting that fracking contaminates ground water, but this is way worse in my opinion.

The last thing we need is one of these faults to completely let loose due to human interference.

I have also provided links to other threads that discuss the USGS report that links fracking to earthquakes, and the EPA report that discusses contamination of ground water.

This must be stopped.

www.theglobeandmail.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
It angers me when I think on how they allow this to continue. Can we put a stop to this? I imagine that the corporations have more of a say in the matter compared to the regular people.

Just another day in lala land.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by real_one

I doubt they would stop even if they awoke a super volcano somehow. Just imagine the New Madrid fault line completely giving out, from what I heard it could be very disastrous.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by real_one

I doubt they would stop even if they awoke a super volcano somehow. Just imagine the New Madrid fault line completely giving out, from what I heard it could be very disastrous.

People who have tried to stop it have failed. It not only creates earthquakes (this has been known since the 1950's) but it pollutes groundwater and air.

But it makes money for a select few. Guess who wins.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by JustSlowlyBackAway

Yes, I agree. This will be next to impossible to put to a stop.

I'm aware of the ground water contamination, as I provided a thread I authored about this topic in the OP. I wasn't aware of the air pollution though, but it makes sense. Thank you for letting me know about this, I will research it later for something to do.

They have known about this for a while but they were for the most part able to keep it under wraps by downplaying it. Money can do wonders when you think about it.

Their profits are obviously more important than us mere peasants.

Cheers.
edit on 1-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
The off shore drilling (that caused the lives and livelihood of hundreds of thousands in the GOM disaster) didn't stop 'progression' so why would this be any different?

Hell, they have plenty of body bags and according to their nationwide emergency alarm system a few months ago, all systems are go....so they're prepared for any disaster. So, don't worry. Be happy! After all there are 6-billion too many here anyway.

Easy come. Easy go.

You know what's more enraging though? They have free energy They've had it at LEAST since Tesla and probably way before. They also know how to tap energy from frequencies. Sound, vibrational and crystal energies.

The secrets didn't die along with the ancient indigenous people although they'd want you to believe they have. We might be stupid but we're not dumb.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Maybe We will free electrogravitics from black ops, eliminating the need for natural gas...and poisonous, dangerous fracking.

I asked Anonymous for help:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
ok i guess i`l be the first:

this fracking nonsence...short sighted fracking idiots, who would gamble their own fracking soil for a slight chance of finding fracking residual gas

fracking morons.

i thank you....

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
funny how big money keeps the mouths shut.
Yeah this is a no brainer, even the geologists have made the connection
ground water is getting cantaminated, earthquakes are happening in the areas
where it is getting the fracking,. but yet,.. they still drill in the name of MONEY

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu

Maybe We will free electrogravitics from black ops, eliminating the need for natural gas...and poisonous, dangerous fracking.

I asked Anonymous for help:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I like that thread you linked me to, it has lots of interesting information.

We know damn well that there is a reason that they keep us dependent on oil and gas and other resources. They have a back up plan though, if we eventually get off our asses and demand free renewable energy, they will find a way to control and profit off that as well.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

They fracked Ohio so bad it shook.

Frackers should be more careful with their fracking.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Gotta love those qualifiers - "might have," "may have," "could have." Makes me want to sensationalize the obvious.

S&F& bump.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I live in Ohio and EQs here are very uncommon .. yet in 2011 alone we had two fairly large ones ( including this one ) ..

Before these, we could go 10+ years without activity .. and the same can be said in othere areas where fracking is happening.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
People are starting to pay attention. Four fluid injection wells have been indefinitely shut down.
CNN Link

Officials have shut down fluid-injection wells in eastern Ohio in the aftermath of heightened seismic activity in the area. Officials have shut down fluid-injection wells in eastern Ohio in the aftermath of heightened seismic activity in the area.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
* NEW: The 4 injection wells will be barred from opening "indefinitely," an official says
* This comes amid a probe looking at wells that dispose of waste fluid from fracking
* "We need to get more information," an official says of any possible connection
* A magnitude 4.0 quake struck Saturday, one of 11 to occur in the past year

(CNN) -- State leaders have ordered that four fluid-injection wells in eastern Ohio will be "indefinitely" prohibited from opening in the aftermath of heightened seismic activity in the area, an official said. Ohio Department of Natural Resources Director James Zehringer had announced on Friday that one such well -- which injects "fluid deep underground into porous rock formations, such as sandstone or limestone, or into or below the shallow soil layer," the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency explains -- was closed after a series of small earthquakes in and around Youngstown.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I've said this before and I'll keep saying it until they finally trip the wrong trigger no one thought was connected to another...to another and actually trigger a catastrophic earthquake! How many people were aware that one of the largest seen in North America happened in South Carolina? I was a little surprised to find that myself while looking over Bicentennial stuff for the New Madrid quakes.

STOP is what I have to say on it. Just STOP. We may need the gas..we may even need it desperately. I have no aregument about getting it, either. FAR from it.
Not like this though. If we can't be sure we aren't causing these in Colorado, Ok, Arkansas, Texas and everywhere else..then not a single cubic meter of gas is worth a BIG quake it may some day lead to.

How hard would it be to simply hire the best geologists on Earth to settle this issue then get back to work in a method that doesn't risk this. Whatever that gang of the very best would cost would be a blue light special bargain compared to ONE large quake in a city or other population center. Virginia was TOO close for comfort for a bad bad day.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

The fact that the media is admitting it via information they receive from the authorities, proves something's up. They know they can't hide it anymore. As you said, you've noticed a drastic change in your area recently. Fracking is definitely the most likely culprit.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

What blatant distortions of "fact," and what an obvious expose' of the fearmongering and lack of science behind the anti-fracking movement.

If you'd honestly posted the first part of the article, you would have revealed that the title of the Globe and Mail story is nothing but hype and typical trash tabloid "journalism."

Officials said Saturday they believe the latest earthquake activity in northeast Ohio is related to the injection of wastewater into the ground near a fault line, creating enough pressure to cause seismic activity.

The brine wastewater comes from drilling operations that use the so-called fracking process to extract gas from underground shale. But Ohio Department of Natural Resources Director Jim Zehringer said during a news teleconference that fracking is not causing the quakes.
Environmentalists and property owners who live near gas drilling wells have questioned the safety of fracking to the environment and public health. Federal regulators have declared the technology safe, however.

www.theglobeandmail.com...

This should come as no surprise as many of us have long suspected that there is a connection between fracking and earthquakes. Even the media is willing to hint at it.
We already know about the EPA admitting that fracking contaminates ground water, but this is way worse in my opinion.

Your suspicions and media "hints" are nothing but speculation; neither can reasonably suuport the thread.

The EPA has "admitted" no such thing. They found evidence of benzene in a well that was subject to contamination from any number of sources, including natural releases. They qualified and have backed-away from hysterical exaggeration such as those of this thread. The subject well, in fact, may have exhibited evidence of contamination brfore any fracking took place in the area..

Such unmitigated fearmongering serves no legitimate purpose than to drive readership and further an anti-fossil fuels agenda.

deny ignorance

jw

edit on 1-1-2012 by jdub297 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Sorry, that is honestly all I got to say.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
What the frack is going on?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join