It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Portugal For Ron Paul"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Well, there are so many Ron Paul supporters here on ATS that I was curious to see if he is also mentioned abroad starting with my own country, Portugal.

The truth is we don`t hear about him from the media at all, but I was surprised with these 2 blogs I found:

portugal4ronpaul.blogspot.com...

blog.causaliberal.net...

What about other countries besides USA, do you hear about Ron Paul where you live ?

edit on 1-1-2012 by AQ6666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

What about other countries besides USA, do you hear about Ron Paul where you live ?

Two blogs is hardly Portugal for Ron Paul. Just a couple of blogs.
Go out into the street and ask ten random Portugese people if they know who Ron Paul is.
In Spain probably out of ten people only two or three peeps will know.
I think people are more inclined to worry about their country first than another.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Cosma

True, If I go to the street here MAYBE 1 person ouf of 50 have heard of him. The thing is Ron Paul is so popular here on ATS and on the internet, that maybe he can really win USA elections this here and if this happens international policy can change (for the good I hope).

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

so what ?

while implying no disrespect to portugal or its people

who cares what thier opinion is on US presidential candidates

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

With all respect, perhaps you should think outside the box here a bit. The United States is a world power. Other nations follow suit when the U.S. creates domestic policy, and they certainly feel the sting of our international policy every day. I think I would care a great deal who was a potential leader of say, China, if they were the strongest nation on the planet and had military bases all over my country and were able to decide how our economy fared with the stroke of a pen.
Also, world opinion of Obama was incredibly high when he first got into office. Because of that, he had SO much more support from other nations in his war-mongering foreign policy. Perhaps if the rest of the world were to support Dr. Paul as much as they did Obama, he would be able to counteract the problems that arose through his predecessor's administrative practices and the compliance of other nations.
edit on 1-1-2012 by Q:1984A:1776 because: grammar

Edit to add: Look at how many people from nations such as Canada, Britain and Australia often say such things as, "I wish we were able to vote in your elections. Ron Paul would be president for sure if that were the case."
edit on 1-1-2012 by Q:1984A:1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

So What ? ...Who cares ? you ask. Well, although I didn`t start this thread to discuss what`s the best president for the USA, this is an important issue for the world. Maybe you could comment "who cares ?" if I was talikng about some election in Portugal but USA foreign policy is not the same as Portuguese foreign policy, don`t you think so.

However I was just curious to see if such a popular politician like Ron Paul is also popular abroad.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

You've got to understand how a lot of people in the US are.

Extremely xenophobic, would rather just glass a country than try to sort out any problems with them. Honestly, the federal government is probably holding back compared to what your average redneck would do if given control of the military.

You can thank the Japanese for attacking Pearl Harbor, then you can thank whoever destroyed the twin towers. It's been burned into our minds and our history books that we should lash out at anything that remotely attacks us, so we don't pay too much attention to what is happening in our back yard.

So international recognition may not be the best thing for Ron Paul, he might be branded as a foreigner. Already people are accusing him of being weak because he has a rational foreign policy. Try to explain to your average non-ATS American that it is NOT a good thing to have bases all across the world and that the fact people want to attack us is not because "they hate our freedom".

It's ironic that most of the people I talk to that hate his foreign policies love his domestic policies, or visa versa. It's never both for someone who is not a Ron Paul supporter, but for some reason they are interchangeable, I blame MSM propaganda.
edit on 2-1-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
i will say again , for those who dont get it :

who cares what some people in portugal or any where else think - they do not have a vote in the US presidential election - so thier opinion is utterly irrelevant

its that dammed simple - get over it

as for the effect of the personage of the POTUS and his policy descisions on portugal - they have to deal with it - and set thier foreign and domestic policy accordingly

thats the way the real world works

PS - may i request that any answers include your opinion on what influence portugese citizens should have on the US election and if the answer is anything but zero - are you prepared for US citizens to have the same infkluence on portugese elections ?

top topics

join