It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the Fifth fleet can eliminate the entire Iranian Navy in the Strait of Hormuz

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
To begin with I wish everyone a prosperous new year.

Now to the goods. A new missile designed to take out swarms of small enemy boats which we know makes up most of the Iranian Navy.

The goods

Couple this with the fact that the fleet will see them coming from very afar, I expect no ships from the fleet to suffer even minimum damages whereas the Iranian navy will lose all boats.

That is my prediction.

"It's a fire-and-forget weapon," said Ken Heeke, a program officer at the Office of Naval Research for the Low-Cost Imaging Terminal Seeker. "No longer do you have to continue to monitor the target after you've fired the weapon. You can move on to the next threat with the assurance that the rocket will hit the target."

In defense, the U.S. Navy has come up with a helicopter-fired rocket capable of homing in on even the smallest floating targets without human guidance. Such rockets successfully struck two high-speed-boat targets in tests earlier this month.

I wish no conflict, but this is some stuff.
edit on 1-1-2012 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
[removed unnecessary quote of entire opening post]

Well, this form of ”propaganda” is kind of out dated nowadays, are you basing your conclusion and analyses on this?

My question is.

Do you have any correct foreknowledge/information of what Iranian armies are capable of.? Let me help you a bit. What we know is what they let us know, the real thing is as usual hidden behind the curtain waiting for the time to pop out as “shock and awe”!

The gullible Americans believed that Iraq would be finished in matter of 6 months……..10 years later the Americans are broke and still suffering.

Iran is 4x bigger than Iraq with almost 5x of Iraqis total population. Just a reminder.
edit on 1-1-2012 by amkia because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/1/2012 by 12m8keall2c because: [removed unnecessary quote of entire opening post]

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by amkia

The OP is discussing an exchange between standing military forces...The U.S Navy versus the Iranian Navy. As he suggests, it would be swift and deadly...over in a matter of hours, for the Iranians.

Just like it was over in a matter of days for the Iraqi standard military forces.

What happened afterward, in the management of the occupation, was another matter.

There will be no invasion and occupation of Iran...so no basis for this comparison.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
To be honest OP your opinion and that's what it is your opinion not based on 100% facts so my opinion and that's all it is is that your opinion is based on on thinking that America is unstoppable and are the greatest army on the planet that coupled with your patriosm has made your opinion.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
bet the street is already filled with sound producing devices ..and aluminium folie decoy mines ready to be activated in case of need.....
this will disable all sonar and detecting capability's of the US fleet.......then wat....

every ship ...even an carrier has an weak point.....

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
What happened to the other 3 of 5 boats that it did not hit? That is only a 40% success ratio, so how you base your whole conclusion on this fact I do not know.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ressiv
bet the street is already filled with sound producing devices ..and aluminium folie decoy mines ready to be activated in case of need.....
this will disable all sonar and detecting capability's of the US fleet.......then wat....

every ship ...even an carrier has an weak point.....

Do you not think that any defending force would use these tactics? Modern sonar is designed with this in mind, a British Astute Class submarine would not just cut through this chaff using its combination of detection systems

Thales Sonar 2076
Atlas DESO 25 echosounder
2 x Thales CM010 optronic masts
Raytheon Successor IFF

I would take a wild gamble and state that 2 Astute class submarines could take out the Entire Iranian navy.
edit on 1-1-2012 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
There is no need for an invasion/occupation of Iran. An EMP attack would end the whole thing. Put Iran back into the 6th century where their religion makes them most comfortable anyway.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Thanks for that that's really appreciated I read it, digested it then binned it as we are talking about the American and Iranian navy not the royal navy

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Iran knows the fact that its military is too weak to go against western and Israeli powers. They must call in the Chinese and Russians to defend their lands from invasion, or else suffer the same fate as disfigured Iraq.

It's not the time for Islamic ego or complacency. The clock is ticking oh Persians.

edit on 1/1/2012 by wisdomnotemotion because: added remarks

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by simples

As I do not know the capabilities of the US navy I was stating facts about a similar navy I know something about. So in esscence the rhetoric would be the same but just with "insert US navy vessel here's" name in.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Clearly you haven't got a clue no way would they use an EMP attack. To effect the whole of the Iranian navy they would have to use a nuclear EMP (not happening) non nuclear EMP isn't big enough to really take out the navy non nuclear EMP is used in small operations like compound clearing.

EMP

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   

That's exactly the answer I wanted so you don't know the American navys capabilities my gues is then that you know nothing about the Iranian navy capabilities so what you was saying was an uneducated guess

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by simples

I know the Iranian naval capabilities are based on smaller vessels rather than Destroyer/Aircraft Carrier type vessels. It has 5 Figates in service and 26 submarine's of which all are diesil powered. Like I say I am not sure about the US equipment but an astute class submarine would make mince meat of that.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by simples
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Clearly you haven't got a clue no way would they use an EMP attack. To effect the whole of the Iranian navy they would have to use a nuclear EMP (not happening) non nuclear EMP isn't big enough to really take out the navy non nuclear EMP is used in small operations like compound clearing.

EMP
I am talking about using a nuke/emp to put the lights out in the entire nation. It would take a decade or longer for Iran to recover from that. By that time they should have learned not to poke the Big Dog unless you want to get bitten.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Errm I might have missed something but how has Iran been "poking the dog" as you suggest? They have been a peaceful nation for hundreds of years and have only been aggressive if attacked as in the case of Iraq. I am sick of the propaganda emanating from the MSM.

And do we forget we are talking about innocent men, women and children? Yes, it doesn't matter does it..just obliterate them..they are not like us.
edit on 1-1-2012 by sueloujo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
I know the Iranian naval capabilities are based on smaller vessels rather than Destroyer/Aircraft Carrier type vessels. It has 5 Figates in service and 26 submarine's of which all are diesil powered. Like I say I am not sure about the US equipment but an astute class submarine would make mince meat of that.

Diesel electrics are notoriously hard to detect in littoral waters, which is what the Straights are, so they would be much more effective against Western ships than out in the deep blue.

That said, this whole thread is based on a erroneous (and rather chest thumpy) notion.

If the Iranians wanted to shut the straights, then obviously a direct confrontation with the US Navies 5th Fleet is out of the question, they know this from Operation Praying Mantis.

They will do what they did last time, which is mine the Straights and use a combination of land and sea based missile systems to attack traffic. They would most likely use their subs in a mine laying role and would, I expect, avoid direct confrontation with the Yanks unless absolutely necessary.

This whole "We can sink all your ships, naah-naah-naah" chest thumping just betrays a lack of critical thinking or even a slight notion of strategic awareness.

The Iranians know full well they cannot hope to survive for long in a direct, conventional war, which is why they have spent an awful lot of money over the years almost perfecting asymetrical warfare.

They are also very pally with Bahrains majority Shia population who are only kept under heel by the Sunni Elite because of Saudi troops, just something to consider seeing as the 5th Fleet is based there..... Why do you think the US supported all the other Arab Spring uprisings bar the Bahrain one, where they stood by and watched Saudi and Bahrain troops massacre protesters?

There is more to this and sheer number of ships or who has the "bestest" missile.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

if this insane attack ever takes place, you should not expect conventional naval warfare.

china, russia and north korea have all sold missiles and other military technology to iran.
they will be interested in seeing how effective these system would be against western technology.

if the us, israel or nato attacks iran, the targets would be oil tankers and the oil facilities of the gulf states.

many of these targets are the size of a city and are highly vulnerable.

a war lasting even a few months would devastate the western economy.

so the iranian military would most likely be devastated and the western economies would die due to the corruption of it's financial sector.

in history this is called a pyrrhic victory.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizen6511
[...]

in history this is called a pyrrhic victory.

You are right about missiles from China being used as in the last tanker wars in the straits.

And yes, this time we've given China much better free tech than last time (still have our leaders building up the Marxists, sadly..)

I agree with your analysis. I think since the sea mines that Iran has now, are smarter and 10x more powerful, that unlike last time where ships were damaged, these newer mines and rising mines will have a greater chance of causing catastrophic detonation on one of the tankers. I am theorizing that whereas the old mines didn't have enough kick to really explode the fuels on the target ships, the newer factorially more explosive mines may act like a bigger blasting cap, thereby giving more energy through the target. The point is, there'll be much bigger booms from the water.

So once some US red line is crossed (ship hit?) then they'll simply air-interdict the missile sites and supply depots and then it'll clearly be Shia (Iran/China) versus Sunni (US/Saudis) so it's the final muhammedan brawl-for-it-all between their two caste groups. Frikkin stupid cause the Koran didn't even get made into a book until well after their prophet had died so it's retarded to fight for either Sunni or Shia, both are koo koo. So a 'pyhrric victory' is one way to look at it, but another would be to look at it as humanity's long struggle against oppressive horrid governments like the kinds Shia-fascists and Marxists produce.

BUT after the first red line, and the eradication of Iran's missiles, it will remain to be seen what response the Marxists and Iranian nutjobs come back with.

If they remain anti-human and Communist in their modality, they could kill a few thousands of their own people (as they've historically done) and perhaps motivate a larger war. Or those old tactics may backfire and their own people will revolution.

In the end, the US = freedom and Communists/Shia-fascists will use exterminations of their own people, that is their way.

So even if the US sometimes has some difficulty with a tenacious enemy, we've still never massacred our own people as China, Russia and Iran have a history of doing. USA all the way. The side of good is clear to see. This Sunni versus Shia thing is utterly stupid and not really worth the time or attention it gets.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

It still stands you don't know anything about the Iranian navy you only know what they want you to know same as any other country.

Darthmuerte what makes you think America is THE BIG DOG or even just a BIG DOG America is a nobody! The same as any other country it might have a big army but it's not the biggest!! And army's wont win the next big war no one will it will all be nukes.

America ain't got the balls to use a nuke and the comment nuke them and put the whole nations lights out just tells me your an uneducated fool that I'm not even Gunna waste any more of my time with you

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join