It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Earthquake just hit again!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

I am well aware of the fact that the depth of the crust varies, but these variations are not hundreds of kilometres, because it would not be possible due to the temperature and pressure there

by the way this solid inner core is surrounded by the liquid outer core, which makes some sense due to the pressure involved..

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The have been reports of a 5.0 Magnitude tremor in Christchurch New Zealand.
It's Earthquake day.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
This is an image of one of the analyses of the Tohaku quake I've posted in one of the many threads relating to Fukushima Daiichi:

It shows the interplay between the various plates beneath Japan.

Maybe someone could overlay the location of the 6.8 on this map to give an idea of which plate(s) may be involved?

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by iAnjo

I hope you're Okay there, I was stationed in Yokosuka from 1999-2002 and have many great memories of the place, it's a really nice and SAFE city.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
And 2012 fires a warning shot, without wasting any time.

Get ready boys, this is what we've waited for

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Man, more of these awful quakes. Earthquakes are justthe beginning. All this earth shaking might wake up alot of dormant or even extinct volcanoes

I have begun to notice a bit of a pattern to earthquakes. They always seem to start in the east and work westward. I wonder if this has anything to do with the earth's rotation, or possibly which side of the earth is closer to the sun's gravitational field? Astrophysics isn'y my strongpoint.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
The have been reports of a 5.0 Magnitude tremor in Christchurch New Zealand.
It's Earthquake day.

I know, New Zealand is in my prayers too. Seems like the entire earth is trying to fly apart on us. I wonder if it's possible for the planet to crumble apart under the stress?

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Hope everything is okay my friends brother lives in tokyo with his girlfried!

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Sit'in here in Apple Valley Ca. my wife just brought in some waffles. Can't help but wonder when it will be our turn. It must be soon I thinkest.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocEmrick
And 2012 fires a warning shot, without wasting any time.

Get ready boys, this is what we've waited for

Warning shot? Are you sure it's not a starter pistol ?

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Would have been happy with just fireworks to see 2012 in, not more QUAKEWORKS!

Anyway over 39 aftershocks in the last 24 hr's in Christchurch, with largest being a 5.5 (possibly 2 x 5.5's just 12 seconds apart, at 5:45am (shattered dreams).

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
This is further proof that the American Illuminati is not getting what they want from Japan, and/or other far East Nations. I read that they had till Jan. 1 2012 to comply with "Them" or they would get another HAARP attack. In a certain way its a good sign, it shows how desperate "TPTB" are and they know now that we are not on their timeline, we have chosen a positive timeline, so get ready for a massive consciousness change, on a global scale, where everyone will know the Truth of what has really been going on behind the scenes. Welcome to the Collective Earth Initiation, and those who have been through initiations knows that they are not fun, or easy, so be prepared and start meditating or focusing or praying, whatever you choose to do, on strength to get through these tough times and receiving help to see your loved ones (that are not aware of whats truly going on) get through it. Either humanity (on a individual level) is going to get through this and see its wonderful future of the evolving spirit, free energy for all humans, access to higher dimensions/time travel, and many other great possibilities and those that are not ready to move on or change (consciously) are going to go crazy, literally. These people are the ones that are not ready to "know thy self" or to see themselves for what they truly are. Not Kind!

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Alchemysenior

Now THAT is a conspiracy theory! Please do link to any evidence that Japan is not playing along with "demands" and such, as you state, and maybe I will take some of that with a grain of salt. Until then, what you just posted is rubbish.

It was an earthquake in the ring of fire, nothing more. Can it be a foreshock for something larger? Yes, it can but I think it is just another aftershock from that giant one earlier in 2011...

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
BTW, this earthquake was PREDICTED to happen (upto 7.3) around Jan 2nd +/- 2 days!

QUAKE PREDICTIONS

Scroll down to JAPAN 2.

They've been fairly spot-on with the NZ (Christchurch quakes too).

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
This is a real good place to monitor all the quakes in the world.

www.iris.edu...

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by iAnjo

My heart goes out to Japan and everyone in New Zealand they are very brave people, and i hope they all stay safe. I can admit that i don't know much about earthquakes but i wanted to ask everyone this question based on a conversation that i had with my stepfather. He works for a Canadian Electric company that is part of the Government and he expressed some concern telling me that him and another workers today had been talking about this Japan earthquake. Take it for what is it but he told me that a few of them are worried about the depth at which this quake had occurred stating that it is oddly deep. They also mentioned that at such a depth for the instruments on the earths surface to resister 6.8 it must have been extremely more powerful at the lower depths and could have possibly cause cracking/separation of the ground deep beneath Japan. Is this even possible? what do you all think?

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I am not scientifically oriented, and not very technical on this sort of thing. I'm not even sure God listens to me much as all, as I tend to question his reality based on some things I see happening here on planet. I will, however, send prayers toward him.

It is my hope that for one day in 2012, no one had to die from violence, dread disease, hunger, and hundreds of other causes. That same day, it would be cool if all the negative fell on its face for a bit, and all the good things erupted for just a moment so everyone, even the folks I'm not particularly fond of had a chance at one totally soulful grin of delight.

Barring all or any of that happening, I will simply, yet humbly and sincerely ask that this not be the horror that it could be.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by descendedstar

I am a novice regarding earthquakes, but I have gleaned a bit of wisdom from reading Quakewatch 2011 and hope to learn more as I read (and occasionally participate in) Quakewatch 2012.

From what little I have learned, I do not think that it is too unusual for a quake of this depth in this region:

MAG UTC DATE-TIME
y/m/d h:m:s LAT deg LON deg DEPTH km Region
MAP 6.8 2012/01/01 05:27:54 31.416 138.155 348.5 IZU ISLANDS, JAPAN REGION
MAP 4.8 2011/12/31 22:49:33 26.846 140.094 694.1 BONIN ISLANDS, JAPAN REGION
MAP 5.2 2011/12/30 17:07:21 30.757 138.478 397.9 IZU ISLANDS, JAPAN REGION
MAP 5.2 2011/12/27 11:14:28 28.058 142.840 32.2 BONIN ISLANDS, JAPAN REGION
MAP 5.4 2011/12/27 09:04:30 31.206 140.459 94.2 IZU ISLANDS, JAPAN REGION

Earthquake List for 10-degree Map Centered at 30°N, 140°E
Update time = Mon Jan 2 06:00:03 UTC 2012

Note that the 4.8 that took place on 12/31.11 @ 22:49:33 was 694.1 km deep, and the 5.2 on 12/30 is 397.9 km deep.

You have to remember that the accuracy of the measurements (location/depth) is dependent upon sensor density in an area. Japan is one the the MOST densely saturated area in the world for seismic monitoring. When they pinpoint a quake, they are generally going to be about as accurate as is possible to be.

reply to post by nydsdan

I don't think that this is an aftershock as it is on an entirely different plate boundary than the Tohoku Quake of 2011.

It's either a mainshock of it's own, or a (perish the thought) foreshock. The lack of aftershocks is a tiny bit worrisome, but that is also no unheard of for deep quakes.

reply to post by SpaceJockey1

I think you mean "JAPAN 3?"

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnnunakiX

Originally posted by iAnjo
That's a pretty interesting way of looking at the year of the dragon, even though it's Chinese culture.
Oh and I'm pretty sure I saw someone here on ATS predict the March 15 eq just not right on, but got it in a dream or something.

Hopefully these predictions don't live up to what they claim.

The dragon thing just seemed mildly ironic to me. As far as predictions, I was speaking specifically about seismologists. There's a lot of folks who lay claim to psychic predictions and such. Even broken clocks are right twice a day.

Anyway, FWIW the Tohoku earthquake was 11 March, not 15 March. That was one heck of a day, ah? Never want to go through that again. Ever.

However, on 15 March 2011 (just 4 days after the 9.0) we had a rather scary quake. 6+ at Fujinomiya-shi Yumizawacho, Fujinomiya-shi Nonaka*, The epicenter was really really close to Mount Fuji. See map below:

edit on 1-1-2012 by AnnunakiX because: (no reason given)

Whoa did not realize I put March 15, sorry. Must have been thinking that.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

Interesting. Though, if you notice, this guy predicts earthquakes in the same generic regions every 12 days or so. Meh.

I don't want to get into a fight over predictions, but if there were accuracy in eq forecasts, Japan and other places would not be caught off guard as always.

It's not like we get an EQ weather report saying..."you might want to linger in doorways today as there is an 85% chance of tremors in the 4.5 to 5.5 range this afternoon".

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join