Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Big Earthquake just hit again!

page: 4
69
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

log in

join

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Japan is built to withstand earthquakes, even up to 8 on the richter scale the buildings won't fall or anything, it is the sea you have to worry about that comes in, you can not stop that.




posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican
 


Well TA, you said a few weeks ago that you expected a big one on the Southern Fault. It isn't on the fault, but off shore further, However, if it is a foreshock or even taking down already destroyed buildings like the Daichi reactor pool in number 3 it could be a catastrophe of mega proportions for the Japanese. They were already talking about evacuating Tokyo before this hit for the government anyway. The Western half of Japan is at risk of being uninhabitable if that spent fuell pool flips over dumping its deadly load. I haven't been watching since the Western Wall of Building 4? or 3? collapsed. Bad news and a hell of a kick off for 2012. I better go work on my truck so I don't have to see any more destruction today.


edit on 1/1/12 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I believe Tsunami's only take affect when the earthquake is over the 8 mark on the richter scale, rarely do 7s ever make an impact, we have seen 7 magnitude earthquakes over Tonga and the pacific islands and they do nothing to the sea. If its an 8 and over then yes run, but not sure how people would know how powerful it is.



posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
 


off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift


 



posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
 


off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift


 



posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
We're on the Northwestern edge of Tokyo. We felt it as a 2-3. It felt a bit like being on top of a jackhammer. Quite a bit different from the back/forth, up/down of the 11 March 9.0. Scared us pretty good. First thought was, oh no, not again. Then, as many people were rushing down the stairs to get out of the building, I paused to look toward downtown Tokyo. No smoke, no sign of felled or wobbling buildings. Figured it was not as bad as last time. Checked for tsunami warnings on JMA...none. Thank goodness.

We're still waiting for the 7+ predicted in the Kanto region.

www.jma.go.jp...
1 Jan 2012 7.0


11 Mar 2011 9.0


FWIW, the person who said "And now another 3.6 in Kanto/Chiba: ...That's a little too close to Tokyo for comfort!"
Kanto/Chiba is IN Tokyo. It's a prefecture that is part of the Greater Tokyo Area. en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 1-1-2012 by AnnunakiX because: additions



posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Just heard about it too, good thing noone got hurt (NTV News). My prayers are with the people living on the coast, exposed to tsunamis. May they be protected.



posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by AnnunakiX
 


There's a predicted 7+??
I couldn't find it in the link you provided.
Thanks for the info and I hope nothing tragic happens as Japan hasn't even recovered fully from the last incident.



posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anim8tr
Just heard about it too, good thing noone got hurt (NTV News). My prayers are with the people living on the coast, exposed to tsunamis. May they be protected.

Same here, I hope a tsunami doesn't come because we're living right on the coast, unlike last time.



posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I really have a feeling that Japan may be reclaimed by the sea and just undergo liquefaction like we saw in the big quake videos.



posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Here in the south of Setagaya (Futako-Tamagawa) it was a good Tremor
but nothing that trigger our Alarm System, very lucky we are


I thing this is a little bit dangerous and i will fill up our Emergency Packet tomorrow,
imo it was too deep and don't bring Relief,
but maybe it was just a Mountain Top that hit us!



posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by iAnjo
 


2012 is the "Year of the Dragon". The Dragon said hello today as he awoke.

I cannot find the exact details of the predictions at the moment, but they are there, I assure you. Here's an article from Nat Geo that sheds some light on it. Anyway, earthquake predictions are "shaky" at best. Only once that I'm aware of did a seismologist accurately predict an earthquake. That was Akitsune Imamura who, in 1905, predicted the ~8.2 Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923.

news.nationalgeographic.com...



posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
I really have a feeling that Japan may be reclaimed by the sea and just undergo liquefaction like we saw in the big quake videos.


I seriously doubt it.



posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
I really have a feeling that Japan may be reclaimed by the sea and just undergo liquefaction like we saw in the big quake videos.

Speaking of Japan going under the sea, pretty sure there was a prediction of that too. I was terrified of that back in the March 15 earthquake days, especially since I was still in Japan. I can't even think about all these Japanese people drowning.


Originally posted by AnnunakiX
reply to post by iAnjo
 


2012 is the "Year of the Dragon". The Dragon said hello today as he awoke.

I cannot find the exact details of the predictions at the moment, but they are there, I assure you. Here's an article from Nat Geo that sheds some light on it. Anyway, earthquake predictions are "shaky" at best. Only once that I'm aware of did a seismologist accurately predict an earthquake. That was Akitsune Imamura who, in 1905, predicted the ~8.2 Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

That's a pretty interesting way of looking at the year of the dragon, even though it's Chinese culture.
Oh and I'm pretty sure I saw someone here on ATS predict the March 15 eq just not right on, but got it in a dream or something.

Hopefully these predictions don't live up to what they claim.



posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by iAnjo
That's a pretty interesting way of looking at the year of the dragon, even though it's Chinese culture.
Oh and I'm pretty sure I saw someone here on ATS predict the March 15 eq just not right on, but got it in a dream or something.

Hopefully these predictions don't live up to what they claim.


The dragon thing just seemed mildly ironic to me. As far as predictions, I was speaking specifically about seismologists. There's a lot of folks who lay claim to psychic predictions and such. Even broken clocks are right twice a day.

Anyway, FWIW the Tohoku earthquake was 11 March, not 15 March. That was one heck of a day, ah? Never want to go through that again. Ever.

However, on 15 March 2011 (just 4 days after the 9.0) we had a rather scary quake. 6+ at Fujinomiya-shi Yumizawacho, Fujinomiya-shi Nonaka*, The epicenter was really really close to Mount Fuji. See map below:

edit on 1-1-2012 by AnnunakiX because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The Problem with the reclaimed Land are all the chemical Factories and Refineries.

When all of them are destroyed we will see a much bigger Disaster than F'Shima itself!
edit on 1-1-2012 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Human0815
 

Hey, I'm glad it wasn't too serious. I live in nearby Seijyo, but am at my wife's grandmother's in Nagano... didn't feel a thing.



posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by iAnjo
 


Best Wishes and stay safe. Hopefully the quakes will subside when enough strain has been relieved in the fault complex.



posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
fine an earthquake occured, what puzzles me is it's depth



The oceanic crust is 5 km (3 mi) to 10 km (6 mi) thick[1] and is composed primarily of basalt, diabase, and gabbro. The continental crust is typically from 30 km (20 mi) to 50 km (30 mi) thick and is mostly composed of slightly less dense rocks than those of the oceanic crust.




The uppermost mantle plus overlying crust are relatively rigid and form the lithosphere, an irregular layer with a maximum thickness of perhaps 200 km. Below the lithosphere the upper mantle becomes notably more plastic. In some regions below the lithosphere, the seismic velocity is reduced; this so-called low-velocity zone (LVZ) extends down to a depth of several hundred km. Inge Lehmann discovered a seismic discontinuity at about 220 km depth

link

I find this quite unusual for such earthquake to occur at this depth
who knows maybe the earth is cooling on the inside (hard to imagine) and hardening, or some unusual flows beneath the crust



posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by silencee
fine an earthquake occured, what puzzles me is it's depth



The oceanic crust is 5 km (3 mi) to 10 km (6 mi) thick[1] and is composed primarily of basalt, diabase, and gabbro. The continental crust is typically from 30 km (20 mi) to 50 km (30 mi) thick and is mostly composed of slightly less dense rocks than those of the oceanic crust.




The uppermost mantle plus overlying crust are relatively rigid and form the lithosphere, an irregular layer with a maximum thickness of perhaps 200 km. Below the lithosphere the upper mantle becomes notably more plastic. In some regions below the lithosphere, the seismic velocity is reduced; this so-called low-velocity zone (LVZ) extends down to a depth of several hundred km. Inge Lehmann discovered a seismic discontinuity at about 220 km depth

link

I find this quite unusual for such earthquake to occur at this depth
who knows maybe the earth is cooling on the inside (hard to imagine) and hardening, or some unusual flows beneath the crust


The Core is solid and has Mountains and Vally's too,
like the Crust but the crust has them on both side,
the visible and the invisible,
our Planet is a crazy (in a technical sense) and wonderful Thing,
together with our Moon we are really rare
in the known Universe!
edit on 1-1-2012 by Human0815 because: spell





new topics

top topics



 
69
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

log in

join