It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Americans are too fat and lazy to revolt": I hear this a lot, but is it true?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by banishedfromthisarea
Unfortunately, I think we shall see. But, there's really no need to revolt if we: 1) quit electing rich people to congress, 2) amend the constitution to make lobbying a crime of treason punishable by death, 3) amend the constitution to appoint a paid federal citizen review board (a fourth branch of government) of 5 random citizens from each state, age 35 and older, who can read and write English, who were born in the USA, who will have the power and authority to veto any act of congress, the president or any creation or interpretation of federal law by the judiciary on a vote of 75% (no power to create laws) and who will have the sole authority and responsibility to try, judge and sentence acts of treason and 4) restrain federal judges to the express limits of the constitution. Although probably unnecessary, I believe it would bolster citizens feelings of connectedness and value to society if we created a voluntary militia led by the head of the Sheriff's of each state. If anyone who can carry a gun and follow orders is allowed to join, the numbers would swell into the tens of millions because American's strongly desire to a part of their own protection plan.
edit on 1-1-2012 by banishedfromthisarea because: Detail following the first sentence is remedial.

We are all related. We really don't want to see a revolution. We'd be shooting at our cousins.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired
The Op uses the word "they" not "we" in his /herreferences to the USA populace, so one can only assume the oP is not an American or does not identify themselves with the people he is using the thread to denegrate..

They, we...whatever. You are reading too much into it. And I'm not denigrating anyone, American or otherwise.

In my humble opinion this is a lame attempt to raise the spectre of rioting.

Yes, because we all know discussing possibiliities is the same as advocating them, right?

Maybe if we don't talk about scary things nothing scary will happen, huh? Denial, much?
edit on 1-1-2012 by Never Despise because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Never Despise

I dont think its as much about being "fat and lazy" as it is about being stupid and ignorant.

They really dont understand the seriousness of our money crisis and the destruction of our moral fiber as a nation when we embrace a policy of endless wars.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
The LAST thing we want to do is take on the best and greatest police force in the world and throw in our military which is also the best and the greatest in the world. Im sure u understand what we r up against but if it came down to it, I know the people over here will fight because we do have alot of guns and alot of people. Us against them, were talking millions upon millions will die on both sides if we revolted with violence. This will be the last resort.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
well placed snipers can be fat, lazy, stuff their faces and clip their marked targets with absolute success

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Having lived 8+ years in the US i can compare the US mentality to the European mentality very well (I THINK).

The reason there is possibly "less" revolution in the US is mainly that the poor & middle-class Americans (which make the majority of people in the US) is *waaaayyyyyyyyy* to busy working to pay bills and debt - they simply don't have time to do things similar as in other countries.

* Less holidays and free days
* Longer commutes to/from work (3 hours to, 3 hours back....can happen)

Someone spending 10-14 hrs day just for work's sake for some sh!t wage...very common.
At the end of the day...there might be barely enough time to get your dinner and watch some stupid show on TV..and your day is concluded.

In comparison to this, the amount of (paid) holidays and free time we have here in Europe borders the ridiculous....and people don't drive from one state to the other just to get to their job.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join