It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama Signs Indefinite Detention Bill Into Law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

December 31, 2011 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE WASHINGTON – President Obama signed the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) into law today. The statute contains a sweeping worldwide indefinite detention provision. While President Obama issued a signing statement saying he had “serious reservations” about the provisions, the statement only applies to how his administration would use the authorities granted by the NDAA, and would not affect how the law is interpreted by subsequent administrations. The White House had threatened to veto an earlier version of the NDAA, but reversed course shortly before Congress voted on the final bill. “President Obama's action today is a blight on his legacy because he will forever be known as the president who signed indefinite detention without charge or trial into law,” said Anthony D. Romero, ACLU executive director. “The statute is particularly dangerous because it has no temporal or geographic limitations, and can be used by this and future presidents to militarily detain people captured far from any battlefield. The ACLU will fight worldwide detention authority wherever we can, be it in court, in Congress, or internationally.” Under the Bush administration, similar claims of worldwide detention authority were used to hold even a U.S. citizen detained on U.S. soil in military custody, and many in Congress now assert that the NDAA should be used in the same way again. The ACLU believes that any military detention of American citizens or others within the United States is unconstitutional and illegal, including under the NDAA. In addition, the breadth of the NDAA’s detention authority violates international law because it is not limited to people captured in the context of an actual armed conflict as required by the laws of war. “We are incredibly disappointed that President Obama signed this new law even though his administration had already claimed overly broad detention authority in court,” said Romero. “Any hope that the Obama administration would roll back the constitutional excesses of George Bush in the war on terror was extinguished today. Thankfully, we have three branches of government, and the final word belongs to the Supreme Court, which has yet to rule on the scope of detention authority. But Congress and the president also have a role to play in cleaning up the mess they have created because no American citizen or anyone else should live in fear of this or any future president misusing the NDAA’s detention authority.” The bill also contains provisions making it difficult to transfer suspects out of military detention, which prompted FBI Director Robert Mueller to testify that it could jeopardize criminal investigations. It also restricts the transfers of cleared detainees from the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay to foreign countries for resettlement or repatriation, making it more difficult to close Guantanamo, as President Obama pledged to do in one of his first acts in office.

Source: www.aclu.org... from the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) page.

Happy New Year, America.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
If any liberal votes for this dictator for the upcoming election they should really consider moving to another country first

I know there will be alot of apologists but focus is required

During Bush there was a massive anti-war movement
and when Obama came into power and had spread the war into the entire middle east the left kept quiet

I really hate going into partisan rants because we do have a one party system
But people really do need to wake up

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I was sorry to see it happen, even more to listen to the "reservations" he
allegedly harbored about the wording. It's grossly evident, to the large
majority of we the ATS'ers from just watching the threads, that wording
wasn't apparently strong enough for him. Time will tell, and it's running out
for the awake. Coffee may be a controlled substance soon at this rate
because it could temporarily induce awareness. Happy New Year anyway,
the end of the system as is, for better or worse is about to indeed change.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Should be the biggest story of the year. Truly atrocious. Too bad we're all too busy watching the ball drop tonight to pay attention.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
This is joyous news. No one will care. New Year's is upon us, it's time to party and drink, and then go back to our cubicles on monday and watch reality tv at night not caring enough to protest the government in any form at all.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
...Thats our hope and change. People wanted him...........

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I officially love our government and everything they do!!
If you have any complaints or greivences against our government then
you are a terrorist and I will report you.

I love America and our President, whomever he/she may be.
I fully support the governments role in stamping out terrorism in all corners of the globe and
will do all I can to support them in their quest.

Long live America.
Long live Obama!!!

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed

I fully support the governments role in stamping out terrorism in all corners of the globe and

Long live America.
Long live Obama!!!

What in the blue hell are you on? Give me some.. s#it bro..

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Here is some of what Ø-BAM-aah said:

"My administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens," Obama said in the signing statement. "Indeed, I believe that doing so would break with our most important traditions and values as a nation."

The big argument was whether or not the legislation even had a citizen prosecution clause...right?

If no such language is there,

Then why make that statement so boldly ?

I guess we have the correct answer now

source: AP Dec 31, 5:42 PM EST
Obama signs defense bill despite 'reservations'

Is the joke really on us?

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed

Long live America.
Long live Obama!!!

That takes the words right out of my mouth son,
I couldn't a said it any betta !

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Ron Paul HAS to win!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Why is this only getting minor attention. This is the biggest act of treason and the judge/court allowed this to happen, so she along with this government should be behind bars. ASAP!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
So, I speculate that treason against "American citizens" is not enough to impeach him added to this is the treason this mandate sets up against all humans.
Power in the hands of one often turns into tyranny which often breeds revolutions and then begins wars - war is the money maker and the elite know this.
Our time on earth is so short gathering billions of dollars to soften the ravages of being alive is logical about human's desires for a plentiful life of 60+ years and future inheritors.
Make no mistake he is one of the elite - unlike Idi Amin who ate his adversaries - our satrap only imprisons or has them murdered.
He is looking more and more like they slew Barack Obama and replaced him with Osama Bin Laden years ago!

new topics

top topics

join