It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Karma Aware?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I was thinking of asking, what levels does Karma have...if I think a certain thing, or if I do a certain thing, what level of thought does it need to be in order for karma to take effect. We are not thinking anything bad, lets say that if we thought or see something that produces a thought, does that thought have an effect on karma or will only an action with our body have an effect? I think in philosophy that my mind has an effect on everything.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I have always been the believer that karma only acts on our actions not our thoughts.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by greyer

two cents worth

Thanks for the thread....you ask a very deep question, that no doubt many will have opinions of.

I am unsure in truth...but perhaps our only true privacy is our thoughts...God lets these go,but thoughts can spill over into actions, so we need to stop evil , before it externalises perhaps.

I also believe Karma can be overided if you repent.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet
I have always been the believer that karma only acts on our actions not our thoughts.

That is very true, cause imagine if there was a drug that was so powerful that one didn't need to eat for 90 years, and they felt so good that they sat by themselves the whole time in one place, I know it is a crazy thought but there would be no chance of karma because there would be no action.

Originally posted by Dr Expired
reply to post by greyer

two cents worth

Thanks for the thread....you ask a very deep question, that no doubt many will have opinions of.

I am unsure in truth...but perhaps our only true privacy is our thoughts...God lets these go,but thoughts can spill over into actions, so we need to stop evil , before it externalises perhaps.

I also believe Karma can be overided if you repent.

Thanks, in fact I have been thinking about this for years.

I repent because I happen to believe in an after life. For those here who do not believe in that, I can say that my religious upbringing did not make me believe in it, but my own logic and studies mixed with visions that I had has lead me to my belief.

I do not believe our thoughts are privacy. It is not smart to think that because our body language is 93% of our communication, our thoughts are producing our body language.

I can't say I believe in evil except done by people that karma takes care of if you believe in the after life, so with a logical mind that would mean there is not an evil influence besides ignorance.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by greyer
I was thinking of asking, what levels does Karma have...if I think a certain thing, or if I do a certain thing, what level of thought does it need to be in order for karma to take effect. We are not thinking anything bad, lets say that if we thought or see something that produces a thought, does that thought have an effect on karma or will only an action with our body have an effect? I think in philosophy that my mind has an effect on everything.

I believe rather strongly that everything human beings do, think, and act out is recorded, and sent out to somewhere unknown. Let's just say I have seen a few things that make me think this. So, back to Karmic Effect, I think it has to do with that, what I said. You so something, it is recorded, and the proper Karma is applied to balance things out, whether it be positive or a negative effect in the person in question.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
The modern version of karma isn't the same thing as what Buddhist and Hindu's adhere to. Cause and effect to them, doesn't just apply to actions, because it's with our thoughts that all action originates. Hence, so much emphasis on the control of mental awareness (one-pointed mind), calming the emotions and generating thoughts of love and compassion towards others. It would be easy and sweet to think all the non-virtuous thoughts we have with impunity, but that would not reflect the reality of our inner states, quite as accurately. Namaste!
edit on 31-12-2011 by lowundertheradar because: wording

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
My personal opinion (if you were interested
) is this: I do not believe Karma is a system belonging to the cosmos or what have you that judges you based on what it feels is right and wrong. Right and wrong are dualistic concepts created in the mind of man. You can't say that something such as God and/or Karma would have the same limitations of judgement that man has. Therefore, I think Karma is the dirent result of your own judgement and morality. You subconsciously manifest "good" or "bad" things into your life because of how you feel.

That's just my take on it though.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by greyer

Very intriguing question greyer. I feel that both intention and action affect karma. Intention summons karma and action determines it's direction maybe. As far as karma having awareness, well that would suggest that it is both a separate entity and belongs to the collective conscious. But is it self awareness, which could be a (by)product of the brain? Or is it a collective awareness, more like a representation of consciousness? I don't know man, but good food for thought.

Peace,
spec

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
"I do not believe our thoughts are privacy. It is not smart to think that because our body language is 93% of our communication, our thoughts are producing our body language."Quote from OP

Hitler Mussolini Stalin charismatic mass murderers who lure pretty women into bed and their deaths?

They surely all didn't think beautiful thoughts?

Yet they fooled millions.

Millions thought them wonderful.

Yet they didn't care one iota about others that thought them great.

So how does inner thought produce 93% of our body language?

Or are we all so shallow that confidence and self love is what we all crave?
edit on 31-12-2011 by Dr Expired because: mix up with quote

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
What you really have to ask yourself is where does thought finish and action begin.....

In a world where thoughts have been scientifically proven to effect matter/energy beyond the confines of what you call your 'body', you cannot draw a line between thought and action; even if you did every action is preceded by a thought and every thought is generated through action.

In terms of karma itself there are many different view points but what it is not is a system of reward and punishment, hence the number of rich happy assholes in the world. It is a natural process which governs our thoughts and actions determining whether we stay within the cycle of death and rebirth or move on back toward the Source.

edit on 1/1/2012 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by greyer

I think it's hard to say if karma exists in any meaningful way.

Isn't it just a philosophical concept from the Far Eastern traditions and religions? There's no doubting the idea has bled directly into Western culture/s as it can be applied by any level of understanding. In that way, simpler folk can regard it as an accounting tool like 'Eye for an eye' and others can try and understand it as a subtler process maintaining an elusive balance.

Trying to find a consensus about what *karma' actually is, what it does and how it does it is not happening; there's no agreement. Even *why* karma should exist is liable to lead to confusion when people can't agree.

We are not thinking anything bad, lets say that if we thought or see something that produces a thought, does that thought have an effect on karma or will only an action with our body have an effect? I think in philosophy that my mind has an effect on everything.

It would appear a poorly-created system/process that would generate negative karma for their thoughts alone. Just think, there are many mental conditions that are defined by irrational and repetitive thoughts. Likewise, the ageing processes of the brain can cause a person to be abusive to their carers/family/spouses. Such involuntary thoughts and their expression, logically, should have no effect on the notion of karma.

They should have a free pass, but who or what would have the discretionary powers to referee our thoughts?

At this point, it's difficult for me to see how karma could be self-moderating and so dynamic as to allow for the free passes and take into account the results of our actions. Some form of *administration* appears necessary and that takes us off into the what-ifs and speculations of spirits, entities and/or Godhead.Source/etc

As you know, it's a highly complex subject and not easy to nail it down in a post. For what it's worth, I think *if* karma exists (I'm not betting on it), it seems fair enough to be held accountable for most of our actions when they aren't dictated by thoughts that are involuntary and generated by abnormal brain structure or faulty wiring.

In a nutshell, think what you like and always try to act positively.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Interesting question. I guess it depends if you believe whether or not one can control their thoughts. We know that people can control their actions (at least in the sense of being able to refrain from doing harm to others), but there is still debate when it comes to our thoughts. I personally believe we cannot control our thoughts and therefore would expect Karma to be unaffected by our thoughts. The only exceptions to these would be if you were to wish ill will on another person using a chant or spell (if you believe in that stuff), or sending positive energy towards them using prayer/channelling (which would result in positive Karma).

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I believe Karma must be hand delivered.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
The content in this thread is very very knowledgeable, I believe in Christ simply because I think it's possible for a human to do real magic although highly uncommon, but I don't have views of the church I have more Eastern views.

This all started for me when I was talking on the phone with someone about 10 years ago. They told me they were sick, and I felt the germs, I felt like I got it. I did in fact get sick, and I didn't go outside or around anybody sick, there was no explanation except the phone. It coud have been anything, but I thought that my mind had enough power to produce something good or bad just by thinking of it. Of course that would be scary because we don't have absolute control over our minds.

Originally posted by autowrench
I believe rather strongly that everything human beings do, think, and act out is recorded, and sent out to somewhere unknown. Let's just say I have seen a few things that make me think this.

Originally posted by Dr Expired
"I do not believe our thoughts are privacy. " - Quote from OP

Hitler Mussolini Stalin charismatic mass murderers who lure pretty women into bed and their deaths?

They surely all didn't think beautiful thoughts?

Yet they fooled millions.

Millions thought them wonderful.

Yet they didn't care one iota about others that thought them great.

So how does inner thought produce 93% of our body language?

Or are we all so shallow that confidence and self love is what we all crave?

The reason why I mentioned privacy is because I believe in what autowrench said, I am not surprised autowrench has seen things to make him believe in that. The end goal of love is what we crave not confidence (real love is unselfish), and we are all not so shallow. Some of us crave the absolute love the earth has to offer in all goodness, I would say Hitler craved the opposite of that, and its hard to trick people.

reply to post by Kandinsky

Hey Kandinsky, karma is like magic to me, and magic is like proving the existence of God to a nonbeliever, if something happened from an outside source whatever it may be, it would show the universe or earth or something is aware.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
karma was "invented" in buddism - do i belibe in it? not much
If karma existed peope like Obama would die yet they do not, so have money then no karma?

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by reassor

To imply Karma is to accept re-incarnation.

You very rarely in this life reap the rewards of your karma its in next ones usually unless it has an "immediacy" effect, ie If I went now and Killed or Hurt delibrately an Bodhisatva several things would be the result of that Karma (the actual effects would be huge or last for eons but the more immediate effects are) that as soon as I Died after that event there would be an immediate pulling down to an hell realm with the not usual in between time in the "staging area" shall we say. Also even though I have some initiations any practice would be of no benefit it would block out any chance of Enlightenment in this lifetime etc.

It is seen with some also immediacy when people boast about Pyschic or supernatural powers they have obtained, if you are say an monk, or normal person and claim to have these realisations and powers, when you dont, then the ability of you to open that "sidhi" is destroyed for this lifetime, many more probably especially if ordained.

Killing of parents to is an immediacy crime. However most karma is from many seperate and different lifetimes mixing into one.

Want to know what sort of person you have been in previous lifetimes last few esp look around you now.

Want to know what your next life will be in that regard, look within now and the measure of your good now will be rewarded or denied as you so choose.

Thoughts Words Actions all create Karma, however what also creates Karma is doing nothing when you could have helped.

The motivation behind any action word or thought is what gives the results that you get back the "color" or "flavor" as such.

If you smile and have hatred in your heart and say a nice but false thing to someone, it is much worse in an way than someone not smiling but being honest to the person, even if maybe its an home truth or cornering them on something.

If you cant be genuine don't do anything more trouble than worth.

Here is the Buddhist Concept of Karma

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
To imply Karma is to accept re-incarnation.

You very rarely in this life reap the rewards of your karma its in next ones usually unless it has an "immediacy" effect, ie If I went now and Killed or Hurt delibrately an Bodhisatva several things would be the result of that Karma (the actual effects would be huge or last for eons but the more immediate effects are) that as soon as I Died after that event there would be an immediate pulling down to an hell realm with the not usual in between time in the "staging area" shall we say. Also even though I have some initiations any practice would be of no benefit it would block out any chance of Enlightenment in this lifetime etc.

Why does this "immediacy effect" only exist for some actions and not others? Doesn't it strike you as strange that there are exceptions to the general rules when it comes to Karma? Surely if the system is perfect then there is no need for some things to be experienced immediately and others in a next life-time.

[...]

Thoughts Words Actions all create Karma, however what also creates Karma is doing nothing when you could have helped.

Again this seems like a very strange aspect of Karma if it exists as you suggest. Not only are you doomed if you do act and end up doing the wrong thing, you are doomed if you don't as well. This makes the whole idea seem even less real to me.

The motivation behind any action word or thought is what gives the results that you get back the "color" or "flavor" as such.

This makes sense for action, but not for thoughts. What is your motivation for wanting to own that TV you see in your friends house? Wanting to kiss the attractive lady that lives next door? Wanting to eat that chocolate in your brother's room? These thoughts alone are harmless, as long as they do not lead to action.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Karma is not aware it is instantaneous, like if you fall you get hurt, if you touch fire you get burned, no consciousness only universal law. As the upanishads states the Self knows without knowing because nothing is separate from it. If you are all things you dont need to be conscious of them since you inherently know it without limitation. You can call it super consciousness but it is higher than human consciousness.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Karma is action, there can be many thoughts, but they don't always go along with our actions. It is in our human nature to imagine assume and have desire.

Ultimate goal of a person is to get rid of those feeling to attain nirvana, Karma is just an gauge to judge yourself on how close you are to nirvana and break from the cycle of rebirth.

There is nothing wrong with lustful thoughts, thoughts comes and goes, some stay, some just disappear without a trace.......in the end it is the actions that counts.

There is no "repenting", what is done is done, try to balance your negatives with positives. Killed a bird for fun? don't do it again, and try to advice others from doing it. that's all you can do.

never expect "rewards".. like "if i help this old lady, i will get something in return", if you do something by expecting something in return, its like not helping at all, you will feel happy and that's when you know you really helped.

Firs,t fix you actions and as you do these good actions, you thoughts will eventually cleans itself.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
This thread perhaps deserves to be a long one, in todays world we are blinded and shunted into the realms of ignorance.
One thing about getting older is you realise how much you don't know and how little time is left in this body.
You can get so frightened of life that you sleep whilst awake.
We all to varying degrees need communication with our fellow man/woman about this thing callled "life".

join