It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity and the Afterlife

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
This is a question for Christians, when we die, do we go immediately to hell or heaven, or is there like a waiting period until Judgement day when God judges us and the eternal destination of every human is known to him/her? If we wait in our graves or however it works, are we conscious or what do you think is happening. If we are judged immediately upon death, and then go to either heaven or hell, if we think about it for a second. The people that died 1000 years ago and went to heaven... they have experienced 1000 years worth of "Happiness" for a lack of a batter word, more than the people that die today, and obviously the same applies with hell.. Does this sound a bit unfair to you?

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I am christian and wonder the same. I can say we all will find out one day, we shouldn't worry about that too much and focus in our present lifes now. I can honestly recognize the concepts of heaven, hell and also the posibility of a cease to exist moment in the future.

Believe it or not, many christians like me, accept some non-christian concepts, like reincarnation or karma today. God is One for all of us, religions are manmade and they tend to devide people. How many Christs should come to Earth to make us understand?

edit on 31-12-2011 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 0thetrooth0

After leaving Heaven to come to Earth for a third density experience we forget God. Therefore our souls must go to purgatory and heal until they are ready to go back and live the life that they once did. However, before Christ there was a "Limbo", which was a joyful expectation of the Souls waiting for the Son to come and get them. Christ is still here, the Harvest is now and the Gates are open to the sons of God.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.” Luke 23:43

also

To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord- 2 Corinthians 5:8

These verses of scripture seem to indicate that the believer will be in paradise immediately upon death. As for unbelievers, scripture indicates that they will be in hell awaiting the judgement at the last day.

Hope this helps

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
How many Christs should come to Earth to make us understand?

edit on 31-12-2011 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

Well to honest the whole "nailed to a cross" notion seems a little overly dramatic. He simply could have stuck around (no pun intended),or some version of him anyways and continued his teachings so that there would be no questions left unanswered.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0thetrooth0
This is a question for Christians, when we die, do we go immediately to hell or heaven, or is there like a waiting period until Judgement day when God judges us and the eternal destination of every human is known to him/her? If we wait in our graves or however it works, are we conscious or what do you think is happening. If we are judged immediately upon death, and then go to either heaven or hell, if we think about it for a second. The people that died 1000 years ago and went to heaven... they have experienced 1000 years worth of "Happiness" for a lack of a batter word, more than the people that die today, and obviously the same applies with hell.. Does this sound a bit unfair to you?

People that died 1000 years ago and whose spirits went to heaven have only been there 1 day because to God 1000 years is a day to him, technically they just got there.

According to scriptures in the new testament when you die your spirit goes to heaven or hell to await resurrection day in which your spirit gets resurrected into it's glorified body. Your old bones go back to the dust and you get resurrected into a new spirtual body like what the angels have.

You do not get judged immediately after death, the whole point of Judgement day is to judge all of humanity at the same time. If you belong to Christ you get to skip the judgement. Christ doesn't judge you, the Saints do and when they have made their decision Christ send the "goats" on the left into the fire.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
And the reality of it is not like that at all. We are all Divine Spirits that are Immortal, and we live again and again, until we each learn all of the lessons we need to learn, in order to move up the ladder, so to speak. The famous "Light" is a machine, if questioned, it can, and will send you to any Afterlife you choose, and there are many to choose from. Yes, Christians, Heaven and Hell are in there, but who would want to go to either, when one can have an Afterlife a King would envy? My own place of Afterlife was built a very long time ago, as I have lived many lives here on Terra Firma. I will be going there soon. I could elaborate, but am sure the Christians would be all over it, like usual. They claim only one life only, and Heaven or Hell are the only choices.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
There's not really an afterlife. Christianity is so full of misconceptions that most people choose to not be Christian. Christ only spoke of internal psychological states that we can bring about through good or evil works. He said rather clearly that the kingdom of heaven is inside us and that the unforgivable state of hell is reserved for the devil and his demons, but even for them death is terminal.

Christians also believe in rapture, but he said, also clearly, that a number similar to the people saved in Noah's ark would be saved from this life to keep mankind alive.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

This is our oldest found ancestor. What would heaven be like to something that's been in the dirt for 4.4 million years?

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Magnificient

Despite the fact that there are people with misconceptions, there is an afterlife, anyway.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Christians also believe in rapture, but he said, also clearly, that a number similar to the people saved in Noah's ark would be saved from this life to keep mankind alive.

Yes, I know they believe in a Rapture. Do you know why they believe that? Read here, and find out. The Truth will set you Free.
Conspiracy: The Rapture Doctrine

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

Despite the fact that there are people with misconceptions, there is an afterlife, anyway.

Yes, there most certainty is an afterlife. When a person "dies," or rather passes over into the 4th dimension, they are supposed to stay there, mostly unaware, for about 100 or so Earth years, so that everyone who knew them in life is passed also. Then they are reborn again. Sometimes there is a glitch in the program, and a person comes right back. One can read stories of people who remember past lives with uncanny clarity. There also those, like , who can see the dead, and sometimes speak with them. I have learned many things about the Afterlife. The best way to describe it is the scene in "Star Trek Generations," where Picard meets Captain Kirk.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
People that died 1000 years ago and whose spirits went to heaven have only been there 1 day because to God 1000 years is a day to him, technically they just got there.

Please provide scripture that says this; and I don't mean 2 Peter 3:8, either. We all know that it's a figure of speech implying God is outside of our time.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by novastrike81

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Please provide scripture that says this; and I don't mean 2 Peter 3:8, either. We all know that it's a figure of speech implying God is outside of our time.

Barnabas 15:3
Of the Sabbath He speaketh in the beginning of the creation; And
God made the works of His hands in six days, and He ended on the
seventh day, and rested on it, and He hallowed it.

Barnabas 15:4
Give heed, children, what this meaneth; He ended in six days. He
meaneth this, that in six thousand years the Lord shall bring all
things to an end; for the day with Him signifyeth a thousand years;
and this He himself beareth me witness, saying; Behold, the day of
the Lord shall be as a thousand years. Therefore, children, in six
days, that is in six thousand years, everything shall come to an end.

There ya go. I'd hope Barnabas knows what he is talking about being and Apostle.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I apologize to those I might have offended. I won't pretend to understand how somebody can turn and twist the bible to fit their desired beliefs and then insist they are right and everybody else is wrong. I could be wrong on about any point, but not the bible.

There's no heaven and there's no hell. There never has been a heaven and there never will be one, and ditto for hell. These are clearly internal psychological states created through good or evil works. According to Christianity, Muslims are evil. Muslims are certain that Christianity is evil. Jews believe both of the above are evil. In the past we have defended Israel. This makes Muslims quite certain that we are the great satan. According to Christianity good works and faith will get you into heaven. Muslims say that martyrs go straight to heaven and chopping off somebody's head sends them straight to hell. I call bull# on all of them.

Those old preachers, and actually the young ones, preach heaven to get your money and threaten you with hell if you don't pay up.

Bull#.

They want 10 percent of your income for heaven. I'll agree with you on eternal life in heaven for only 5 percent of your money. Pay up or damnation.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Christ doesn't judge you, the Saints do and when they have made their decision Christ send the "goats" on the left into the fire.

Wait. What?

Wait. WHAT?!

The Saints? Those mortals who were martyred and then other people decided they were perfect? (I mean that other person called the Pope, who is infallible?)

Well, that's news to me!!!
Care to provide sources?

Ever heard of Judy Goodman? I'm thinking I should start a thread on her belief system. Makes great sense to me....

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

The book of Barnabas was not written by the companion of Paul.
It was written by someone else long after Barnabas had died and just used that name to get attention for their own work.

read: "Forged: Writing in the Name of God--Why the Bible's Authors Are Not Who We Think They Are" by Bart Ehrman.
edit on 1-1-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by 0thetrooth0

Consider this possibility; that Time, like Space, is part of the created universe. And therefore does not apply outside the created universe. If they were transferred direct to eternity on death (somebody has already quoted "this day you will be with me"), then no time would pass for them in the interval. The effect would be that everyone who died would appear to arrive in Eternity simultaneously, and perhaps pass direct into the judgement scene.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

First you would have to produce evidence that there is a such thing as "outside the created universe".

Edit to add: Or you can just have a place where there is no night, meaning it is always light and it never gets dark, so you could say it was all one long day.
edit on 1-1-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

I have to consider the possibility an impossibility.

Stephen Hawkings says there's nothing outside the four known dimensions and that people created heaven out of a fear of death. From basic observation I can see that there's no heaven or hell, although both of these psychological states can be seen easily in the persons who created them. I can see heaven in some really good people, then if I want to see the fires of hell, a trip to the local prison should suffice.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Be careful about books outside the bible. Some or all of them are doctrines of devils. The publishers like to make money by calling them lost books of the bible or something, but god's not in the habit of losing things.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join