It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Activity at Mt. Rainier Confirmed to Be Seismic (...or ICE?), Right here on ATS!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
So it appears there is an uptick in activity....but wouldn't ya know it, GEE is down.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
WOAHHHH Nelly!!!! Something BIG just gave a grumble up there!! I wish I could say it looks like an avalanche....but darnit, it doesn't.

I'll send an email off to PNSN.

seismo

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Here's what I'm looking at:

I was trying to talk myself into believing it was an avalanche...but it shows up on at least 8 stations...some of them several km away. It's a long trace though, not a typical quake. (not listed either) There are a couple of distinct 'bangs' there...what do you guys think???

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I think I need to call my insurance agent and see if a Lahar is covered under flood insurance..

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Westcoast, IMHO it appears that there are micro quakes of some sort happening here. also that maybe there is something warming up under the glassier maybe in order to make it crack - or creating an unsteady fracture on the flank of the volcano underneath the glacier - which is moving. Your latest post though, you can clearly see something that it appears something kinda rolled/flowed which gave way to a shake - almost like if you think a rock started to roll slowed down then hit a tree with the instrument. Very Interesting Indeed. Wondering very much if the ground underneath maybe warming causing all this - There are not many instruments in the area which is a shame. Are there Thermal Instruments anywhere - I have not been able to find them? - This does not appear to be from an external source.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Thanks Westcoast,

I was actually going to ask about the avalanche activity in the area. If things are "heating up" so to speak, wouldn't that create massive avalanches?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Your thermal question is a good one. I don't know and have never thought to look. I will now...

Yes, I agree that it looks like something built (rumble,,,) 'broke' and then rumbled even louder. Like I said, it showed on at least 8 seismos so it wasn't local to that station, so I dunno. The lahar theory is a scary one....someone try and find an example of what that looks like on a seismo!

ETA: Here we go. You guys be the judge:

usgs examples
edit on 4-1-2012 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

I don't think that is seismic, and apparently they don't either, cause that didn't register as a quake anywhere that I can see so far.

I think what is going on is that those seismos at Rainier, RCS and RCM, are set highly sensitive to tune in to volcanic microquakes, and so higher amplitude man made activity may clip them. And I believe that's what that signature is you see in the webicorder. That's why I was asking you maybe to see if you can find out if around 9 microns/sec is the peak amplitude those stations can handle... Because that may have other implications, and may change my opinion a bit about the swarm type seismic events we are seeing.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I suppose it is good that the park remains closed until Saturday, in honor of Margaret Anderson (Visit. Rainier: Our Condolences)

At least we know that hikers aren't near the seismographs causing a stir.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Nope....no way that is man-made. It shows up on about 8 different stations.

Best guess is ice-avalanche or land-slide. It won't be registered or listed until tommorrow.....my question is to whether or not this is tied into what is causing all the other quakes.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
reply to post by Anmarie96

ETA: Here we go. You guys be the judge:

usgs examples

comparing that with this RCS 01/01-02/01 EHZ graph

there seems to be a lot of "rock falls" mixed in with what looks like quake signature traces extra DIV

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Okay....I managed to get GEE back up just in time to catch another "ice avalanche" or "landslide".....I dunno what's going on up there, but it is increasing. Hopefully it is just funky weather causing some stuff with the glaciers....but it seems to be moving around now, getting stonger on the STAR station.

Here is a screen shot from just a few minutes ago:
[I am putting these at full-res so as not to loose the integrity....you will have to SCROLL]

Here is a close-up:

Another one is happening right now as I type this.

Check out these IRIS webis:

STAR

RCS

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I usually don't post in these threads because my knowledge is lacking to say the least but I always read them everyday. I have a question do the quakes appear at certain times in the day?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

Welcome!

No, there isn't a pattern...not in that sense, anyways. These are definately not man-made. I have had confirmation from PNSN on that. I am hoping to hear more from them today, I will share what/if I learn anythnig.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
wc, I've seen a few seismic events in the last couple days in GEE. They have been small, and probably no more than the usual, sporadic seismicity at Rainier. I guess I'll write to the PNSN and ask about RCS.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
reply to post by Subjective Truth

Welcome!

No, there isn't a pattern...not in that sense, anyways. These are definately not man-made. I have had confirmation from PNSN on that. I am hoping to hear more from them today, I will share what/if I learn anythnig.

Thanks for the welcome.
What I thought might be happening is the ground warming up during the day and freezing at night.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
You know, this is really starting to resemble the pre-eruption seismos of St. Helens, if my memory serves me in a rightly manner

2nd

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Damn. I was fairly convinced by the glaicer quake idea. This is concerning. Might I ask westcoast, how can you tell that these are avalanches and not earthquakes?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Hi westcoast, I stumbled upon this website while looking for hydrothermal data on Mt. Rainier, and immediately thought of you. You aren't too far away from Baker, right?

MBVRC has begun sampling water from a spring at 3400′ near Schreibers Meadow. Water chemistry at the spring indicates that the water contains traces of magmatic chemical influence, meaning it has a connection at depth with magma or with fluids and gases coming off magma. We hope to eventually train ‘citizen scientists’ to assist with this work.
Link to Mount Baker Volcano Research Center
I nominate you to be their first "citizen scientist"!

Back to Rainier... I happened to catch the end of a PBS NOVA documentary, Deadliest Volcanoes which showed USGS's Steve Ingebritsen installing instrumentation in the streams on Rainier. They found one which was 70 degrees F, while the magma chamber is believed to be 6 miles deep!? The team admitted not knowing what to expect from their data collection, and not much is known about the volcano's plumbing system.

This is the link to the USGS Dynamics of volcano-hydrothermal systems page, where Ingebritsen is a team member. I did not have any luck finding real-time data.
Still digging...

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Do you have any idea at what elevation that water temperature was taken............I am assuming that research was done in the summer months.

Off to scan your links......thanks for the info.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join