It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Activity at Mt. Rainier Confirmed to Be Seismic (...or ICE?), Right here on ATS!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Wait, why is seeing steam good, and NOT seeing steam bad?

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
It is by no means clear blue skys here today. That's unlikely volcano related "steam". Like I said I live in olympia. I see this mountain every day the clouds let me.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine

Wait, why is seeing steam good, and NOT seeing steam bad?

Because if they've seen this "steam" many times before, and it is a common occurrence, then I guess the "steam" is not out of the ordinary, right?

But if they've never seen this kind of steam before, and the guy's lived there for 20 years, that's saying something. It might mean that magma has started hitting ice, and is causing it to melt, producing the steam. And particularly in combination with a quake swarm. The more indicators there are, the closer they will get to blowing the whistle.

I am hoping, though, that it is just the sun and the steam is a common occurrence.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Well I see what you are getting at with the steam, and to answer the question, I would seek someone locally, very close to that mountain who looks at it every day and ask them if they've seen that kind of steam before. Perfect, unbiased answer.

Let's hope they've seen lots of that steam. Just heaps and mounds of steam. Lord, give us steam, please. Much steam. Steam much?

If they haven't, and we've got thousands of microquakes, and a melting glacier...umm... might be time to call Houston.

It's a shame that someone with so much knowledge makes statements like these so commonly. In reference to the last sentence of your post, and many other posts i've seen you make, why do you dramatize? I understand you are intelligent...but you have to understand there are others that read what your saying who are not so intelligent and they are probably crapping there pants when you say stuff like "might be time to call houston".

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Agreed. I have seen this mountain many, many times....often in cloud cover, sometimes very clear. (as in my previous pics) However, I have not looked at it up-close on this video too often. I have looked at Baker even more (from my backyard). I know it is very common to have the snow at the topped whipped up by the wind to create its own clouds...what I have been seeing today at Rainier is different than what I usually see at Baker but that really doesn't mean much. Again...only time will tell.

Here is one last screen shot before it gets dark. This may just be a play of light, but it looks as if there are two distinct shades of 'mist' there....the darker being in the same area I have referenced twice before now.

link again to live video
edit on 1-1-2012 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Everyone needs to read this:

Exploring Rainier's summit steam caves

This article is from 2009 and is amazing. This could tie it all in together...including what we think we are seeing at the summit.

Part of a labyrinth of caves that underlies the summit snowcap like the tunnels of a giant rodent, the grotto contains one of the planet's highest lakes. Meltwater dripping from the glistening ice walls and scalloped ceiling collects in the cavern bottom, creating a crescent pool up to 20 feet deep

Read more here: www.thenewstribune.com...=cpy

Attracted by the United States' most dangerous volcano, Le Guern has mounted two expeditions to Mount Rainier and hopes to return again this year. He spends much of his time in the ice caves because they provide one of the most direct links to the mountain's fiery interior.
Nearly 5,000 people trudge across Rainier's broad top every year, but few realize what is under their feet. Early climbers often sought shelter in the caverns, recording in their journals the misery of being alternately blasted by cold air and scalded by steam from hissing fumaroles.
It is these fumaroles, or steam vents, that create the world's most extensive network of ice caves. The hot gases rise from deep within the volcano, escaping through cracks and crevices in Rainier's bowl-like crater. The heat has melted out nearly two miles of caverns and worm-like passages beneath the plug of snow and ice that fills the crater like a scoop of ice cream in a giant cone.

Read more here: www.thenewstribune.com...=cpy

Please see the whole article...it is fascinating!!!

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaworu

IIRC . . . The Seattle area is as big or bigger a DISASTER WAITING TO HAPPEN

as San Francisco and Los Angeles . . . or San Diego.

Not only are there major faults in the area . . . there's a significant number of more or less active volcanoes.

Then there's China invading at some point in the not very distant future.

Unless it's inner mountainous regions of significant altitude & remoteness, it seems to me that folks who can would be wise to leave the West Coast entirely.

You can search on youtube for:

John Moore WHAT THE GOVERNMENT ISN'T TELLING YOU and see his map for some degree of a clue about such hazards and resulting changes.

Maybe this will show it:

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

When Rainier awakens and fresh magma starts to move in, one of the earliest clues will be changes in the gaseous emissions.

But see, here's how relying on gas emissions could be very costly:

What if there is no new magma entry, but the existing magma under pressure is released all of a sudden by a weakened cork? An earthquake could cause this...We saw this very thing at St. Helens. But natural erosion or ice melt might also weaken the cork or any magma conduit to the surface, to the point of failure. There may be no change in gas emissions whatsoever. Somewhere in their calculations they had better provide for this possibility.

As to the other poster questioning why I dramatize? I'd say an eruption at Rainier would qualify as pretty dramatic, wouldn't you? But in reality it's more traumatic than dramatic for those that live there. And it is to those I mostly speak. Just saying, beware that thing if you going to live there. Keep an eye on it. Beware your environment or get caught like a bird in a cat's mouth at the birdbath. Dead.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

As to the other poster questioning why I dramatize? I'd say an eruption at Rainier would qualify as pretty dramatic, wouldn't you? But in reality it's more traumatic than dramatic for those that live there. And it is to those I mostly speak. Just saying, beware that thing if you going to live there. Keep an eye on it. Beware your environment or get caught like a bird in a cat's mouth at the birdbath. Dead.

Yeah, but it's not erupting now is it??? Getting ahead of yourself. Saying stuff like "somebody call houston" is without merit. I believe it's called......fear mongering? Unless you have 100% PROOF that an eruption is taking place NOW or in the VERY near future. We already know it will blow up eventually. thanks.

From a guy that lives VERY close to Rainier, and been to paradise point many times.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
According to Geoff Clayton, a geologist with a Washington State Geology firm, RH2 Engineering, a repeat of the Osceola mudflow would destroy Enumclaw, Orting, Kent, Auburn, Puyallup, Sumner and all of Renton.[25] Such a mudflow might also reach down the Duwamish estuary and destroy parts of downtown Seattle, and cause tsunamis in Puget Sound and Lake Washington.[33]

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   

I think what we may be seeing here is an example of a type of bowshock as the wind passes over the mountain top, a standing wave is created causing the clouds to crates "waves" and the darker "streaks" are areas of less density in the cloud bank as it flows over the mountain.

Standing waves are also tied to the formation of lenticular clouds, so it would stand to reason where you have one example of a standing wave in action, another could also manifest.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Activity jumped up quite a bit in the last 4 hours...

old.pnsn.org...

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by quietright
Activity jumped up quite a bit in the last 4 hours...

old.pnsn.org...

Wow that looks kind of like Mt. St. Helens a few days before it blew.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Yup...activity has picked up. Some of that could be weather....some of it is definitely ice quakes, but the rest of it is more of what we have been seeing for the past day or so now.

I'm not too alarmed yet...just keeping a close eye on it.

Kdog...yes, you could very well be right about the cloud formations. In light of the article I posted too, even if it were steam, I don't think that it would necessarily be abnormal but again, one more thing to be aware of.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I also noticed on the new Pacific Northwest Seismic Network page that Mt Hood has been a bit more active too.
(We are in the shadow of Mt Hood)...

www.pnsn.org...

Here is a good link to see quake locations around the mountain (Rainer).
Looks like it is over 1 day delay in updating. Will be interesting to watch over the next couple of days.

www.pnsn.org...#

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Here is what the U.S.G.S. has to say on the topic of the recent 1.4 quake registered at Mt Rainier.(a probable quarry explosion).

Anything is possible.The main worry to look out for is not an eruption but the stronger likelihood of a Lahar which doesn't need a earthquake to proceed it.With global warming the chances of a large Lahar is a REAL possibility .
As the ice retreats all the rock and mud that was being held in place by glaciers for centuries will finally break loose and gravity will do the rest.One other possibility that goes with this scenario is that as the ice melts the land tends to rebound once the pressure has been lifted .This alone can cause volcanic activity and once more increased chances for massive landslides.Although many say the theory is speculative, I really don't see why that would be the case.There is strong evidence to back up the theory. Scientist have found increased volcanic ash deposits in ice core samples that date back to just after the ice age was coming to an end.Also the ancient legends of great floods and blackened skies date back to the dawn of pre-civilization and were more than likely handed down through the ages orally,then finally written down in our ancient texts.Anyways that's my two cents worth on the topic. Oh and the link for the USGS info....

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I don't know if this is connected in any way what so ever but stumbled across this story on the internets. Could there be a conspiracy inside a conspiracy?

Ranger Fatally shot in Mt Ranier National Park

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Sky news TV UK....gunman found dead in Park....cause of death currently unknown

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
Sky news TV UK....gunman found dead in Park....cause of death currently unknown

Rainbows
Jane

Hypothermia. No surprise knowing the area, and what he was up against.

Nice job mother nature.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by FailedPlanet
From a guy that lives VERY close to Rainier, and been to paradise point many times.

Well then, so what's the deal? Is this steam common, or what? To me the "steam" looks a bit like a fine snow mist from the mountain side being blown by winds into the air.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join