New Activity at Mt. Rainier Confirmed to Be Seismic (...or ICE?), Right here on ATS!

page: 18
<< 15  16  17   >>

join

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Actually, Rainier is one of my "monitor live everyday" locations. And it has not been quiet, at all. Been seeing quite a bit showing up on the seismos, and registering on multiple stations. But I have been writing them off as ice quakes, so I really haven't said anything. There really is no need to, until I see a massive increase in frequency/magnitude, or tremor. Seen none of that in the last weeks/months. And if there was, believe you me I'd be starting a new thread faster than a seismic wave.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Right. I've noticed a handful of very small quakes that show on Muir, Star, and Sherman, too.

But what I was thinking about was the repeaters--that were attributed to the glaciers. Have you noticed any of those types of signals in your monitoring, TA?

ETA:
I guess what I'm getting at, is that conditions must have been just perfect for the glaciers to exhibit that periodic, stick-slip behavoir, and this winter conditions are such, that the glaciers have stayed put, for the most part.
That is, unless there were repeating ice-quakes and I just missed them--which is entirely possible.
edit on 3/15/2013 by Olivine because: edit
edit on 3/15/2013 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Well yes, of course I have picked them up. But I remain quiet. Again, as PNSN points out, they are primarily attributed to glacier movement. The big danger however, still lies in the problem of the glacier itself potentially masking, distorting, or event completely hiding, deeper seismic events. The scientists don't believe this to be a problem generally, and that the seismometers are sensitive enough to detect seismic events through the ice. So, I suppose we gotta go with that. Vigorous tremor and seismicity prior to eruptions can propagate to over 100 km, so plenty of other stations in the area would pick it up.

And let's face it- so far they have been right. There has been no discernible increase in activity. It has not erupted. I just wonder though if because of the ice cap, if gas/magma pressure could build up undetected, and it blow suddenly, with no warning whatsoever. This could be one of the ones to do something like that one day, cause of the ice cap.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Ah, so they have occurred. Cool. Thanks for your reply, TA.
I'm off to check out what I can find...

new topics

<< 15  16  17   >>

join