It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama signs Iran sanctions bill into law

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Obama signs Iran sanctions bill into law

www.bbc.co.uk

US President Barack Obama has signed into law a major defence bill including tough new sanctions against Iran.

The law bans foreign firms from doing business with Iran's central bank.

But Mr Obama stressed that he had concerns about parts of the bill which increase the US military's authority over terror suspects.

"The fact that I support this bill as a whole does not mean I agree with everything in it," Mr Obama said in a statement.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Can't say i didn't see this coming. Many innocent iranians will suffer because of this... not with the US sanctions alone, but it can be guaranteed the puppet states of UK, France, Germany and the rest will follow the trend.

What a way to end the year obama, next year is going to be another 12 months of death and destruction, yet again.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
More information:

HONOLULU, Hawaii — US President Barack Obama Saturday signed into law tough new sanctions targeting Iran's central bank and financial sector, in a move likely to deepen acrimony between Washington and Tehran.

The measures, meant to punish the Islamic Republic for its nuclear program, were contained in a $662 billion defense bill, which officials said Obama signed despite concern it could complicate his bid to build an international front against Tehran.

The sanctions require foreign firms to make a choice between doing business with Tehran's oil and financial sectors or central bank or the mighty US economy and financial sector.

Foreign central banks which deal with the Iranian central bank on oil transactions could also face similar restrictions under the new law, which has sparked fears of damage to US ties with nations like Russia and China.

Obama said in a statement issued as he signed the bill that he was concerned the measure would interfere with his constitutional authority to conduct foreign relations by tying his hands in dealings with foreign governments.

The bill, which passed with wide majorities in Congress, did reserve some wiggle room for Obama, granting him the power to grant 120 day waivers if he judges it to be in the national security interests of the United States.

www.google.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
All the worlds a stage , NATO and the American military are the ego maniac actors driven by the men at the side of the stage. You could say in one respect that we , the public are the limelight, witnessing the whole bloody spectacle , but the men at the side of stage can dim and brighten the limelight to suit there version of the play unfolding.
We need a new stage , we need new actors , we need to shine for ourselves to see the truth , with no one hand dimming the lights.

OBAMA is consistent , I have to give him that, no deviation from the Bush protocol of government.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Well damn Obama for this... I guess it''s up to Iran now. They said what they'd do if we sanctioned them further, and with the stroke of a pen, it's now happened. So what now, Tehran? Ratchet down and pursue peacefully? Or...blunder right into the trap and give the West all the reason to do what they've been looking to do for years?

I hope Iran blinks... Hey, come back and come with a vengeance...but right this second, I fear anything but a big blink will mean war is what we have...and it won't be thousands dead. Not this time.

Obama the Nobel Peace Prize winner eh? I could just be sick.

I hope the world understands..the MAJORITY of American citizens are NOT BEHIND this aggressive warfare attitude. Not like this..and not FOR this. We need peace after 10 years of brutal war. We don't need an entirely NEW war Obama can call his very own.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Looks like that 2012 end of the world stuff might not be that far off base.
LOL..

New war to welcome in the New Year.

~Morpheus

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
To make it clear to the layman,if this BBC article is accurate-
Obama has just done the thing (oil sanctions)which would make Iran have to call the bluff of the US Military machine.

Iran claim they will close down the vital oil artery of Hormuz if oil sanctions are applied.

They just have been,by Prez Obama.

Not good.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
To make it clear to the layman,if this BBC article is accurate-
Obama has just done the thing (oil sanctions)which would make Iran have to call the bluff of the US Military machine.

Iran claim they will close down the vital oil artery of Hormuz if oil sanctions are applied.

They just have been,by Prez Obama.

Not good.

Yes indeed... That is how I am reading this too. The balloon isn't rising yet, but it's inflated and only a pinch of fingers keeps it from going up now. How did we get to this point? What happened to us all?

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
This is how the game of political chess is played. Push a country just enough to attack our interests, and we make them out to look like terrible people, thus "justifying" a war. I just hope Iran doesn't let their pride get the best of them. It's their turn and one move can turn the world upside down. Iran already warned what it will do, I just hope they don't carry it out.
edit on 31-12-2011 by apodictic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
We don't need an entirely NEW war Obama can call his very own.

So ummm... WHICH country are we at war with currently? I seem to be a bit confused on that issue. Don't recall us declaring war on any country the last few years

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
"President Obama had been cautious about harsher sanctions, fearing such a move could disrupt oil markets at a time of economic uncertainty, and alienate potential allies.

The bill, which was passed by wide majorities in both houses of Congress, gives the president the power to grant a six-month grace period to give oil markets time to factor them in."

Umm, I am not too worried?

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

War needs to be "declared" in order to considered a war? Officially the USA has not declared war on any nation since WW2 and since then has bombed almost 30 countries, some of them several times.

Remember Vietnam? Yeah, that wasn't declared either.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Well here we go - I was holding my
breath on this hoping the sanctions
would not be harsh. The ball is
in Iran's hands now.

With that said I am not sure Iran
can block the strait as they
threatened to do - or will they
even try.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Like a puppet on a string, Pathetic.

Another worthless president.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

Originally posted by InsideYourMind

"The fact that I support this bill as a whole does not mean I agree with everything in it," Mr Obama said in a statement.

This quote really ticks me off! If you don't agree with everything in it, THEN DON'T FREAKING SIGN IT INTO LAW!!

Grrr...

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Will just have to wait and see how Iran responds.

Over the last few days Iran has done the following.

1. Threatened to close the Hurmuz if any further sanctions are impossed.

2. They then stop and delay any long range misslie testing in there Gulf drills.

3. Tehran has offered in the last day or so to start fresh nuclear talks in communications with EU.

So what does Obama do, whacks them with further sanctions.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
What a very odd thing to say.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
We don't need an entirely NEW war Obama can call his very own.

So ummm... WHICH country are we at war with currently? I seem to be a bit confused on that issue. Don't recall us declaring war on any country the last few years

No new wars, at least not before or during the 2012 elections, if Obama has his way.

Wouldn't rule out a "kinetic military action" or two between now and then, tho.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I have to admit that when it comes to politics and law,
I don't understand much of it, but does this make sense?

The law cuts off from the US financial system foreign firms that do business with Iran's central bank.

Does this law prevent US firms from doing business with Iran's central bank,
or is this exclusive to foreign firms?

And if it does not, doesn't it make sense to deal with US firms first, before foreign?
You can't tell me that there is not US businesses that have dealings with Iran's central bank.

edit on 31-12-2011 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by apodictic
War needs to be "declared" in order to considered a war? Officially the USA has not declared war on any nation since WW2 and since then has bombed almost 30 countries, some of them several times.

From what I understand we went to war against terrorists...

We are in Iraq fighting for THEIR freedom... that is why we called it "Operation Iraqi Freedom" or have you forgotten that? We are NOT at war with Iraq or it's people. Same with Afghanistan..

But I guess to some gung ho people war is war and semantics don't matter.

Anthrax guy was an American, shoe bomber and panty bomber were NOT al Qaeda but wannabes, Timothy McVeigh was a local boy and 9/11 wasn't done by some amateur Arabs...

THAT is why that clause is IN the bill to detain Americans in the first place. Its signed in now and the next President will have it at his disposal

But what the heck... war is good for business... lets just blow up the whole Middle East and be done with it... Iran, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Kuwait... lets just damn the torpedoes and clean the slate. After all this has been going on for 2000 plus years. Just obliterate the desert and problem solved

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join