It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The GRAPHENE mega thread - because it's technology you need to know about!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by OpusMarkII

Great video!!!
(I embedded it for ya)

Interested in this thread? Watch this video! You get to see an actual graphene sheet in the guy's hand among other cool things.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I am just wondering, people have mentioned how strong it is at one atom sized sheet which is indeed amazing. However could this material not be layered in hundreds, even thousands? If so that is mind blowing strength!

I also wonder what it is like at conducting heat; perhaps it could be used as an alternative to glass windows? Lots of potential though I did immediately wonder what kind of weapons and armour the military might have made with this.

* Wow thats strange, the video just posted above demonstrated exactly what I was thinking above! *

edit on 1-1-2012 by OwenGP185 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwuhi
I am excited about Graphene for batteries and super capacitors, it may make electric cars as practical as gas powered cars. Long range and fast charging.

I found a reference last year to a company making (or planning to make), a 100 mega-farad capacitor out of graphene. They called it a "Megapacitor". It weighted about 100 pounds, and was the size of a small trash can.

According to that article, a 100 mega-farad capacitor could theoretically charge in about a minute or less, and store enough energy to propel an electric car for 1500 miles on that single charge.

I haven't seen any other reference to this other than in the original print article. It seems feasible.

It occurs to me that it might be possible, using graphene, to create something like a 10 tera-farad capacitor that would be changed every few years or so. Extrapolating from above, such a capacitor might give you 150,000 miles on a single charge.

Wow. That would be a breakthrough, for sure.

Great article, thanks!

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by OwenGP185

the strength is along the lattice formation mainly so adding more layers won't make it multiples stronger. I don't know the math-specifics of it but I've seen quite a few articles discussing that the width of cling wrap is plenty strong. Also, even tiny pieces of it mixed into a other substances make that substance stronger.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by problemsolvr

It's a very real possibility, and proof that 2 species have independently discovered nanotechnology, unless we back engineered it (but then those 2 guys from Manchester must be in on it)

Someone wrote a book 12 years ago that predicted this tech & saw some major leaps forward.
And some major problems, think nanoviruses

IMO we invented it ourselves, because it looks different to the alien stuff

edit on 1-1-2012 by playswithmachines because: Typo

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
The guys who had a hand in developing graphene have just recieved Knighthoods:

Knighthoods for Graphene creators...

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
still loving this thread, everywhere you turn there's applications that could be greatly improved if changed for graphene. Armor,cars,batteries,screens so many things. If they were ever able to get to a stage where they could build something out of graphene using the new age type of 3D printing then it would basically take over the world. An entire car would be made out of graphene, with graphene windscreens and windows. If it could get to a stage where it could be 3d printed then you could make anything unbelievably strong. Manual production lines would cease to exist and the machines would just print out graphene models over and over. Complete body suits of lightweight armor, imagine if you could attach sensors to people and scan their 3d image and print out a perfect fit complete body armor of graphene. 3d printing is amazing when compared to the way we used to make things. Graphene exists and if there is ever a possible way to combine the two it would be all you need to make almost anything in the world. Eventually you could get to a point where you go into a shop and tell them what you want, they programme the machine and it prints out the model in complete graphene. screens+casings for all phones,tv's computers. Solar panels and the list could just go on and on..

Batteries seem to be something that is strangely being majorly left behind by technology. Cars and phones/laptops etc are all hindered hugely by battery life and graphene could get us in a position where, in 20 years time, we look back at history and laugh that we ever used such silly things as batteries.

What is sad though is that as soon as something great is discovered the patents just flow in non stop as everyone rushes around to try to control different areas of possible uses for it.

All i can do is pray that it is allowed to freely flow into our world and doesn't get blocked/stifled/held back etc as companies spend a decade or two making sure they can control it and make as much money as possible,
edit on 1-1-2012 by Equ1nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

It is definitely an interesting material, thanks for your answer.

I would like to be able to print my own Graphene from a 3D printer which uses nano tech though I am not sure if that is possible?

edit on 1-1-2012 by OwenGP185 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Equ1nox
still loving this thread, everywhere you turn there's applications that could be greatly improved if changed for graphene. Armor,cars,batteries,screens so many things. If they were ever able to get to a stage where they could build something out of graphene using the new age type of 3D printing then it would basically take over the world. An entire car would be made out of graphene, with graphene windscreens and windows. If it could get to a stage where it could be 3d printed then you could make anything unbelievably strong. Manual production lines would cease to exist and the machines just print out graphene models over and over. Complete body suits of lightweight armor, screens for all phones,tv's , computers. Solar panels and the list could just go on and on.. Batteries seem to be something that is strangely being majorly left behind. Cars and phones/laptops etc are all hindered hugely by battery life and graphene could get us in a position where, in 20 years time, we look back at history and laugh that we ever used such silly things as batteries.

What is sad though is that as soon as something great is discovered the patents just flow in non stop as everyone rushes around to try to control different areas of possible uses for it.

All i can do is pray that it is allowed to freely flow into our world and doesn't get blocked/stifled/held back etc as companies spend a decade or two making sure they can control it and make as much money as possible,

You got it, this book years ago said you could 'grow' something like the space shuttle in a tank of liquid nanobots. It would be self-repairing, too

edit on 1-1-2012 by playswithmachines because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

I was just going to ask, not trying to get off subject, but what if they combined this with "Frozen Smoke", Aerogel.

Whell it seems they have already have, so it seems.

From Gizmag?
Researchers have created a new aerogel that boasts amazing strength and an incredibly large surface area. Nicknamed ‘frozen smoke’ due to its translucent appearance, aerogels are manufactured materials derived from a gel in which the liquid component of the gel has been replaced with a gas, resulting in a material renowned as the world’s lightest solid material. The new so-called “multiwalled carbon nanotube (MCNT) aerogel” could be used in sensors to detect pollutants and toxic substances, chemical reactors, and electronics components.

Although aerogels have been fabricated from silica, metal oxides, polymers, and carbon-based materials and are already used in thermal insulation in windows and buildings, tennis racquets, sponges to clean up oil spills, and other products, few scientists have succeeded in making aerogels from carbon nanotubes.

The researchers were able to succeed where so many before them had failed using a wet gel of well-dispersed pristine MWCNTs. After removing the liquid component from the MWCNT wet gel, they were able to create the lightest ever free-standing MWCNT aerogel monolith with a density of 4 mg/cm3.

Link www.gizmag.com...

edit on 1-1-2012 by googolplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
It's not the wonder material you're hoping for, at least not yet.

Firstly it can't be used in microprocessors, etc because it has no band gap - the essential property to turn a transistor on and off;

Secondly when they talk about it's strength it's on a microscopic level. If you have a sheet of it, it might be nowhere near as strong.

Thirdly the amazing properties talked about are also only at microscopic level, and that's a zillion miles away from getting it into useful applications.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

hey that Frozen Smoke is some cool looking stuff!

you're right, they're basically already using graphene here.

For those who don't catch what we're talking about, frozen smoke is made of carbon nanotubes. A Carbon nanotube is pictured in the OP and is basically a rolled-up graphene - imagine a graphene tortilla... then roll it up into a tube. Both made entirely of Carbon sp-2 double-bonds.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Power_Semi
It's not the wonder material you're hoping for, at least not yet.

I sort of agree and sorta disagree...

Firstly it can't be used in microprocessors, etc because it has no band gap - the essential property to turn a transistor on and off;

The IBM article from the OP discusses this a bit. Also it something scientists are actively working on with single-layer separators. They can already make things like solar cells, Integrated Circuits, etc, a nanoprocessor may be closer than we think.

Secondly when they talk about it's strength it's on a microscopic level. If you have a sheet of it, it might be nowhere near as strong.

A carbon double-bond is one of the strongest things in nature. There is no weakest link in a carbon lattice such as this so no matter the size it will retain the "elephant on a pencil" holding capability.

Thirdly the amazing properties talked about are also only at microscopic level, and that's a zillion miles away from getting it into useful applications.

There are already tons of applications being made from the nano- and micro- level with this material, in fact you can already buy vials of it for $99 USD. Mixing 1% graphene into plastic will make the entire substance stronger and conductive.
Also, they've already made sheets of this the are inches wide (visible in the vid at top of page 5 and other pics). It's a very simple procedure, just expensive due to various rare metals and acids used in the most popular forms of mass production.

Many of the ideas in this thread are probably decades out though!

edit on 1-1-2012 by Thermo Klein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by OwenGP185
I am just wondering, people have mentioned how strong it is at one atom sized sheet which is indeed amazing. However could this material not be layered in hundreds, even thousands? If so that is mind blowing strength!

I also wonder what it is like at conducting heat; perhaps it could be used as an alternative to glass windows? Lots of potential though I did immediately wonder what kind of weapons and armour the military might have made with this.

That's what I was thinking about: making windows of graphene. From a security perspective, never worry about a broken window again. And maybe laminating with other materials could make an almost perfect thermal and acoustic barrier.

It sounds like the light absorbing properties of graphene can change depending on its treatment; imagine walls that can be clear windows, or solid colours, or even digital displays.

Great thread...star and flag!

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

A graphene sheet is only one atom thick, so it takes 3 million sheets on top of each other to be the thickness of one millimeter!
It is so strong because it is made of Carbon atoms double-bonded together in a lattice.

The Carbon atoms' structure reminds me a lot about Sacred Geometry; in particular, the Flower of Life:

Sacred geometry describes New Age and occult assertions of a mathematical order to the intrinsic nature of the universe. Basically, binary numbers generate infinite possibilities in this reality we live in and are manifested due to endless mathematical equations/proportions.

Keep "divine proportions" in mind, because many sacred structures such as temples, mosques, megaliths, monuments and churches were erected using these sacred geometry proportions.

Carbon atoms = Sacred Geometry

Take some time to familiarize yourself with the universal laws of mathematics that define our reality: www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
This is an amazing thread I really enjoyed it.I suppose we could use this technology for military warfare and defence.So many things to do with it. Thanks for the thread

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

In 1947 graphene (not by that name) was postulated but expected to be impossible to create.

Theres that year Again ! in so many other claimed inventions ! during that year and on after...

ahh the Stories of materials that could not be cut, drilled, dented etc.. from materials found in Roswell near a Atomic Bomber Base in June/July of 1947 that is claimed to be from a Flying Saucer ! Aliens or Humans from the Future take your Pick ... or the German scientist involvement during Operation paperclip

was Corso Right ? Maybe just many Odd things Just Happen to be Discovered/Invented in 1947 and on after or Just plain Back Engineered

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thermo Klein
reply to post by CaptChaos

I imagine things like you mention are being explored somewhere. I felt that the highly vibrational aspect of the carbon atoms could lead to super-conduction or levitation, but I didn't find anything on it.

I wonder what would happen if you put a disc made out of Graphene on top of a Pyramid?

Would it get charged through magnetism and float?

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Dionisius

Two Points for a great "I wonder..." question and having an open mind!

Lots of misunderstood energies out there, and lots of anomalies with graphene - who knows what might happen

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Thanks for the info on how its actually made. I figured since carbon is such a prevalent element in our world that this would have been discovered sooner. I guess sometimes the greatest discoveries can remain hidden in plain site for a long long time. I hope this material helps the human race to abandon fossil fuels and get on a much more environmentally friendly path.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join