It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the logic behind celebrating a New Year?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I don't get something. What is the logic behind celebrating a "New Year"? I think this is one of those things where people celebrate it because "everyone else is doing it". But if you think about it, there's no logic behind it at all. I mean, an additional digit on a calendar year is not any sort of "event" that is happy or unhappy. It is not a positive or negative event. And it is not any sort of accomplishment to be proud of either. So why celebrate it?

It's understandable to celebrate some happy event, accomplishment, or new deal. Those are merits to celebrate. But just because a number moves in a calendar? If you think about it, there's no logic or reason behind it. It's an empty excuse to celebrate and party. Society ought to think of better reasons to celebrate things. Obviously, New Year is way overrated and devoid of any substance. What is so happy about a New Year? One has no idea what a "New Year" will even bring. So how is it a "positive event"? It isn't. It makes no sense.

People are not rational or driven by logic. They are programmed and conformist.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Because it's the one day of the year, you can wipe your personal slate clean, resolve to not write the same old chit, and start over again. It's not a bad idea....

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Its called hope. we celebrate the new year with hope that it will be beter than the last. I think its a good thing whats wrong with friends and family getting together to ring in the new year?

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

Good question. I see no point either as I celebrate every day I wake up alive.

I'm always amazed I've lived as long as I have...and for that, I'm grateful!

I've always been a bit of a Wild child....even as I get older.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Have you read up on history and ancient civilizations?

Well they got wiped out by one thing or another.

We celebrate a new year to be thankful living another year in our current modern civilization .

We could be wiped out and there could be no next year. But for every year we don't get wiped surley is a cause of celebration?

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
1)It's a day off.

2)Party.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

Of course there's no logic behind it. But not everything is for logic's sake alone. I mean if it were truly logical, we'd reformat our calendar to hit the new year on the solstice or something.

Yeah, it's totally an excuse to party. So cheers, and enjoy. Or at least enjoy everyone making a fool of themselves.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
To me it's like celebrating a birthday. I consider celebrating my birthday a way to set that day apart from every other one in my memory to help remember my age. If I did't give it second thought I'd likely forget to adjust my answer when someone asks ''how old are you''. Celebrating the new year reminds me to stop putting down 2011 instead of 2012. A party (even one you don't remember what you did there as long as you remember going) sticks out in memory better than someone mentioning in passing ''don't forget it's 2012 now''.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
If that's your logic then why celebrate your birthday it only the first one that matters , after that it's just another day older ! Maybe lighten up and get out and have some fun !! Happy New Year to Everyone !!

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
But with things going really horrible wrong(Possibility of World War 3, Possible Economic Collapse etc) in the world I don't feel like celebrating

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

its a circle
no its like a circle yes
like a circle

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I do not celebrate birthdays, holidays or New Years. Just my choice. There is no logic behind celebrating a New Year. What has been done cannot be undone and what will come to pass will eventually do so. Just another waste of time and energy and AN EXCUSE to get loaded and to go HAM.

NO LOGIC, just plain FOOLERY!

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by maestromason
I do not celebrate birthdays, holidays or New Years. Just my choice. There is no logic behind celebrating a New Year. What has been done cannot be undone and what will come to pass will eventually do so. Just another waste of time and energy and AN EXCUSE to get loaded and to go HAM.

Are you my ex-husband????????

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

I certainly hope not! For I do not believe in marriage either! Human beings are not monogamous like love birds...it is not in man's nature to be just with one woman. Man is polygamous in nature...one man... many women!

Another year is just another year! Nothing more and nothing less!
edit on 31-12-2011 by maestromason because: *addition

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I certainly hope not! For I do not believe in marriage either! Human beings are not monogamous like love birds...it is not in man's nature to be just with one woman. Man is polygamous in nature...one man... many women!

Ahhh I see. You will never be anybodies husband...even if you wanted to be....

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Ahhh I see. You will never be anybodies husband...even if you wanted to be....
I am STRAIGHT heterosexual here so I do not see your pun....and while we are JUST PUNNING here....

...and AHHH I SEE! ....and you will never be anyone's ENGLISH teacher...even if YOU WANTED to be!

I see why your hubby took flight...I don't like ignorant women either....
...just saying...
edit on 31-12-2011 by maestromason because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Because it's the one day of the year, you can wipe your personal slate clean, resolve to not write the same old chit, and start over again. It's not a bad idea....

But you can do that on any day, not just New Year's. Plus, most people who do that, end up failing anyway, and doing the same thing again next year. lol

Think about it. This is nothing more than a programmed routine. This is a classic case of "people doing something only because everyone else is doing it."

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by WWu777

But you can do that on any day, not just New Year's. Plus, most people who do that, end up failing anyway, and doing the same thing again next year. lol

Think about it. This is nothing more than a programmed routine. This is a classic case of "people doing something only because everyone else is doing it."

The proper terminology for it is called, "Bandwagon"

en.wikipedia.org...

I have never been that one to follow behind anybody!

Alpha men lead for a reason.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Furthermore, most people are slaves to the system. They have nothing to celebrate each year except another year of slavery. Why don't they seek ways to become free instead?

Most plans or New Year resolutions either don't happen or end up being disappointments anyway. It's the same every year. It's nothing to celebrate, just more of the same. Next year, people will then say that the year was disappointing, and hope for a better one next year, and so forth, ad nauseum. It's pointless and fruitless and results in nothing - no changes or improvements.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

This is true. I just wrote an essay with 10 logical reasons why marriage doesn't make sense and is detrimental. Check it out here:

10 Reasons Not To Marry - Why Men Should Avoid The Trap

Let me know what you think.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join