It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flu Watch 2012

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Numerous signs are suggesting we just might be in for a bad flu year. Looks like we might need a thread to collect and centralize flu info.

Yesterday, a bus driver in Shenzhen, a major city next door to Hong Kong, died of H5N1 bird flu, which re-emerged last year as a pandemic threat. The man had NO contact with poultry, and as a bus driver probably contracted the virus from a passenger. If this strain has pandemic potential, it's too late to quarantine the area.

Here are a few threads posted over the past several months on H5N1 bird flu - please do add links to other flu and outbreak threads.

Notification of a Human Case of H5N1 Bird Flu in Shenzhen

Mutant, deadly H5N1 strain of bird flu emerges in Asia and could sweep the globe this fall

Importance of New H5N1 (Bird Flu) Variant Downplayed

Indonesia Readies for Airborne H5N1 Bird Flu

edit on 31/12/11 by soficrow because: Braindead - writing Beijing instead of Shenzhen.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

And here we go...

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Gladys Gombami-Dube the mainstream MDC senator for Mabutweni died of bird flu, a family spokesperson told journalists at her house in Mpopoma high density suburb on Wednesday. Family spokesperson Samuel Gombami who is brother to Gladys’ husband Fanuel said that postmortem results released on Tuesday in Harare shows that she died of bird flu. “We were finally given postmortem results and they show that she was taken away by bird flu. We still can’t believe this as a family, we are in still shock,” said Fanuel Gombami. Bird flu also known as avian influenza is a contagious disease of birds, caused by influenza (A) viruses. The outbreak of avian influenza of most concern began in poultry in South Korea in mid-December 2003. The Mabutweni senator was buried at Lady Stanley Cemetery in Bulawayo. Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai and dozens of MPs and senators attended the funeral. Gombami-Dube, 48, died after complaining of disorientation and dizziness while travelling home to Bulawayo from a funeral in Gokwe on Boxing Day. She was rushed to a hospital in Kadoma where she died. The senator was the deputy chairperson for the parliamentary select committee (Copac). MDC deputy chairperson for Bulawayo province Dorcas Sibanda said the party was shocked with the sudden death of Gombami-Dube and will give all the assistance needed to the family. “We are shocked and worried about the death of our respected senator for Mabutweni because this doesn’t usually happen. We are still running around to give our mother a descent burial,” said Sibanda who is also the legislator for Bulawayo Central. Gombami Dube’s Mabutweni constituency covers Mpopoma, Pelandaba, Njube and Lobengula. Above that she has for the past two-and-a-half years been an active member of Copac. Gombami who is also one of the founding members of the MDC in 1999 was born on November 21, 1963 in Bulawayo. She did her primary education at Lukhanyiso Primary School in Mpopoma before going to Mzilikazi High School for her secondary education. She got married to Fanuel Gombami in 1983. She is survived by three children, two girls and a boy.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Jerisa

Thanks Jerisa - and also from ypur source:

Biohazard name: A/H5N1
Biohazard level: 4/4 Hazardous
Biohazard desc.: Viruses and bacteria that cause severe to fatal disease in humans, and for which vaccines or other treatments are not available, such as Bolivian and Argentine hemorrhagic fevers, H5N1(bird flu), Dengue hemorrhagic fever, Marburg virus, Ebola virus, hantaviruses, Lassa fever, Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever, and other hemorrhagic or unidentified diseases. When dealing with biological hazards at this level the use of a Hazmat suit and a self-contained oxygen supply is mandatory. The entrance and exit of a Level Four biolab will contain multiple showers, a vacuum room, an ultraviolet light room, autonomous detection system, and other safety precautions designed to destroy all traces of the biohazard. Multiple airlocks are employed and are electronically secured to prevent both doors opening at the same time. All air and water service going to and coming from a Biosafety Level 4 (P4) lab will undergo similar decontamination procedures to eliminate the possibility of an accidental release.

edit on 31/12/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Oh and this from WHO:

www.who.int...

21 December 2011 - The Ministry of Health and Population of Egypt has notified WHO of a case of human infection with avian influenza A (H5N1) virus.‪ The case is a 29-year-old male from Dakahlia Governorate. He developed symptoms on 8 December 2011 and was admitted to hospital on 15 December 2011, where he received oseltamivir treatment. He was in critical condition and died on 19 December 2011. The case was confirmed by the Central Public Health Laboratories, a National Influenza Centre of the WHO Global Influenza Surveillance Network on 18 December 2011. Investigations into the source of infection indicated that the case had exposure to backyard poultry. Of the 156 cases confirmed to date in Egypt, 54 have been fatal.

Be safe.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Jerisa

Here's a very interesting bit that needs some more research and analysis.

Indonesia put on avian flu alert. 2011-12-30.

Indonesia has signed an agreement on bird flu control, aimed at creating better influenza pandemic preparedness in the region. The agreement was signed by the leaders of Indonesia, the United States and Singapore in Busan, South Korea, on November 18, 2005. Projects constituted in the agreement were set to terminate Friday this week.

...Wonder what the status of those projects is now? Also, Indonesia stopped sharing their flu samples a few years ago because Big Pharma held all the power - they negotiated a trade for vaccines and started sharing samples earlier this year under a new agreement.

Much of the current flu news sounds very political, and more like Big Biz monopoly games. ....imho, a pandemic just might be spreading already and everyone's keeping quiet, waiting to see who gets stuck with the hot potato (and the blame).

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Jerisa

More.

Taiwan govt warns public to be on guard against flu

TAIWAN - Health officials and doctors yesterday warned the public to be aware of the ongoing flu epidemic that has already caused 11 deaths, and is expected to continue spreading.

…Among the 11 deaths reported so far, seven people were killed by type-B influenza, while the other four fatalities were blamed on the type-A virus, according to the CDC. All of them had failed to receive flu vaccines.

The flu epidemic is becoming increasingly dangerous and may come to a peak during the upcoming New Year countdown events, presidential and legislative elections and the Chinese New Year holidays, Wang Jen-hsien, head of Infectious Diseases at China Medical College Hospital, was quoted as saying.

Wang said the CDC should also be on high alert and inform those in high-risk groups to be cautious in view of the seriousness of the epidemic.

Novel H3N2 in Chinese pigs, humans in 5 US states

Novel flu cases prompt new CDC guidance

Where's the Flu? Get Ready.
CDC Data Show Little U.S. Flu, but Google Flu Trends Shows Hot Spots

Swine flu strain resistant to Tamiflu is spreading more easily

H1N1 antibody response in kids may correlate with disease severity

Those with the most severe disease, as determined by need for hospitalization and presence of pneumonia, showed the highest antibody response against the pandemic virus.

Dec 30 Virol J article

Vietnamese study finds high H1N1 seroprevalence in slaughterhouse pigs

"Our findings suggest extensive reverse-zoonotic transmission from humans to pigs with subsequent onward transmission within pig herds."

Dec 30 Influenza Other Respi Viruses abstract

Novel Swine Flu Virus Now Reported in 5 States, Says CDC

December 28, 2011 — The number of reported cases of a novel swine influenza virus has risen to 12 since July, encompassing 5 states, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The virus includes a gene from the human pandemic strain and affects mostly children.

….The infections in question involve a variant of the A(H3N2) virus that circulates among pigs. It contains a gene from the pandemic 2009 influenza A(H1N1) virus that codes for matrix proteins found in the viral shell.

The novel virus is worrisome enough that the CDC, the World Health Organization, and the World Organisation for Animal Health have dubbed it A(H3N2)v. The "v," which stands for "variant," distinguishes the novel virus from the seasonal A(H3N2) virus. The 2011-2012 seasonal influenza vaccine is designed to protect against this strain, the 2009 pandemic strain, and an influenza B strain.

In 3 of the 5 states where the A(H3N2)v virus has surfaced — Indiana, Pennsylvania, and Maine — patients became infected after direct or indirect contact with pigs. In Iowa and West Virginia, the other 2 states, the evidence suggests that the virus spread from human to human on a limited basis.

The CDC has not found evidence of sustained human-to-human transmission of the virus, but "all influenza viruses have the capacity to change, and it's possible this virus may become widespread," the agency states on its Web site.

Also note:

In addition to the A(H3N2)v virus, another novel version of swine influenza is on the CDC's radar. In a recent post on its Web site, the agency reported the discovery of an A(H1N1) virus with genes from avian, swine, and human influenza genes. Like A(H3N2)v, it features the matrix gene from the pandemic 2009 influenza A(H1N1) virus, which probably was transmitted from humans to swine after the outbreak of the 2009-2010 pandemic. The novel virus, called A(H1N1)v, was detected in a Wisconsin man who had worked with pigs before getting sick. The CDC did not identify any human-to-human transmission of this virus.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
S&F! i think this will be an important thread this year.

i have a question, perhaps you would know sofi...

the swine and bird flu have crossed species and hopped onto humans now so reason would dictate that it could jump to another species, say dogs. i was wondering if there are any known cases of dogs getting this strain???

my blue heeler won't take too kind to a gas mask muzzle...
edit on 12/31/11 by ICEKOHLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Also just heard about a flu like virus that is causing histamine to build up in the brain and then it causes seizures. The hospitals are seeing this now and recommending a strong dose of Zyrtec for the day and Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride at night for a week to clear the build up in the brain.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Thanks for all of your links and info soficrow. I will be following this thread!
Of all the things in the world... sadly (very sadly) I am beyond terrified of pandemics. I guess I'm letting my fear win! But geez...
Always been a germaphobe. I will be staying in my bubble until this goes away!
Kinda scary that one of the men mentioned who passed away was treated with antivirals and still passed.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
yeah right. it comes out of no where after all these years.?? probly a flu purposly released from plum island or one accidently from someone whos cantaminated

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Biological is a powerful weapon! As I have stated in other threads, biological attacks are what concerns me the most. Silent and deadly. By the time you have it, it will be too late. Bird flu is engineered, just like aids and ebola. I don't like to think about the outcome of an all out attack on the population. A very grim outcome indeed.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by PassedKarma

Hi PassedKarma,

One of the links I use for information is:

www.flutrackers.com...

This is a real eye opener as you will see up to date scientific data on these viruses and how many people are really being infected.

Note to Soficrow, I know I was unsure about posting this site, but the people need to know.

This is NOT fear mongering, this is real data. No one needs to become a germaphobe, just use common sense.

Thanks,

Jerisa

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Whats really weird is the flu that is currently going around seems to have hit everyone I know, On face book most of the post are about being sick...

People I know who never get sick are coming down with it, I just got over it and still have a lot of phlem still.

Best part is people I know in other states all have it as well, just found it weird I don't think I have seen this many of my friends hit with the Flu all around the same time. ( by same time I mean like a 2 wk window)
edit on 31-12-2011 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Flu shot; never had it, never will.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
There is no flu shot for avian flu. There is no flu shot for swine flu. However ...

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Jerisa

Thanks Jerisa!

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

the swine and bird flu have crossed species and hopped onto humans now so reason would dictate that it could jump to another species, say dogs. i was wondering if there are any known cases of dogs getting this strain???

Thanks ICEKOLD. From an old thread.

Bird flu infects a huge variety of animals, not just birds - people, whales, ferrets, cats, horses, dogs, leopards.

....sorry, the link to the original source is gone.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Patriotsrevenge

just heard about a flu like virus that is causing histamine to build up in the brain and then it causes seizures.

Odd - increased histamine in the brain usually protects against seizures. Do you have a source link?

In different animal models of epileptic seizures, increased brain histamine levels elevate seizure threshold and reduce severity and duration of seizures (Scherkl et al., 1991; Yokoyama et al., 1992; Kamei, 2001; Yawata et al., 2004), whereas decreased hista- mine levels have the opposite effect (Yokoyama et al., 1992).

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by PassedKarma

Always been a germaphobe. I will be staying in my bubble until this goes away!

Thanks PassedKarma.
...Generally, it's a good idea to expose yourself to germs - that's how people build up immunity. But in this case, it's not such a good idea. Protection is all about social distancing - so definitely, stay in that bubble! ...From the Hong Kong government:

remain vigilant against avian influenza infection and to observe the following measures:

* Avoid direct contact with poultry and birds or their droppings; if contacts have been made, they should wash hands thoroughly with soap and water;

* Poultry and eggs should be thoroughly cooked before eating;

* Wash hands frequently;

* Cover nose and mouth while sneezing or coughing, hold the spit with tissue and put it into covered dustbins;

* Avoid crowded places and contact with sick people with fever;

* Wear a mask when you have respiratory symptoms or need to take care of patients with fever;

* When you have fever and influenza-like illnesses during a trip or when coming back to Hong Kong, you should consult doctors promptly and reveal your travel history.

For further information on avian influenza, please visit the CHP website: www.chp.gov.hk.

Source: HKSAR Government

.....It's really all we can do - there is NO magic bullet.

Kinda scary that one of the men mentioned who passed away was treated with antivirals and still passed.

Anti-virals are NOT great with these new flus - viruses develop resistance just like bacteria. Also, check the ATS archives for exposes on Tamiflu. Illuminating.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Which means TPTB got what they wanted.... This strain is for sure leaked out on purpose to help their depopulation agenda.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join