It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In the bible does it really say that the world will come to an end?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   
NO ONE KNOWS WHEN THE WORLD WILL EXCEPT GOD HIMSELF!!! JESUS CHRIST DOSN'T EVEN KNOW!!!!.

I don't know what Bible you guys have been reading but the Bible does not state nor does it hint when the world will go kaboom

So quit panicing and live life to the fullest.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I suggest looking up some of the versus I listed. There is a hint of old earth and heaven passing, and a new heaven and earth. Not sure what Bible you are reading from either. I have read several, incidentally.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   
What are you? Jewish? Protestent!?

The true bible is the Roman Catholic Bible all others are fake!!!FAKE FAKE FAKE!!!!! So why even bother reading others?

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Stop fighting about wish bible is the true bible and remember bible was written by the hand of men that is enough to question its validity.:shk:

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Now the validity of the Vulgate (the Latin manuscript from which the RC Bible is derived) does not match up well with the oldest existing manuscripts available. The Textus Receptus matches very nicely with translations such as the King James, Wycliff etc. If you would like to debate the merits of manuscript evidence, I would love the opportunity.

As for the Bible being written by man, true, but men inspired by the Holy Spirit of God. Now, while I have again debated the validity of Scipture in many places and forums, I don't feel this is necessarily the place to go into that, unless you would like to.

Those who either don't like, don't want to believe, or just aren't interested in the Bible usually fall to the "written by man so its flawed" position.

Let us just say that you don't accept Scripture, and I do.

The Spider

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Well defcon 5 you could have done all those post in one.

I am sorry if I bothered you, and apologize. At the time IloveHaters and myself where jousting back and fourth on the topic over the period of about a half an hour. It would have been tough to consolidate that together since I did not know what he was going to bring up next.

In my views the church views of how the end of days should be is very strong in revelations.

Over a third of the Bible deals with prophecy, at least half of that third end time�s prophecy, where do you get that all this prophecy comes from Revelations?

Originally posted by spidergooch
2d Peter 3:10-12 "the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat: both the earth and the works that are in will be burned up"

Again, not purged and reformed, as was done with the flood, but melted away, so a new earth and heaven will be created.

Spider, thank you for the verse I asked for and the U2U.
So just out of curiosity, doesn�t the event in your quote above sound like an impact from an astral body to you? God has possibly used such events to bring life here on the earth to a stop before, why not again. Then the new Earth does not literally mean that he smashes to core of the earth to smithereens, but rather destroys what is here, and creates his new Earth right over the ruins of the Old. Here take a look at the verse in question right out of Revelations:

Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

The first thing that hits me in this verse, is that if there is no more earth, what is the sense in adding the point that there�s, �no more sea�. Now take a look at the next verse:

Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

How can the New Jerusalem be coming down from heaven, if the heaven has passed away. I realize that there are mentions of the seven levels of heaven in the Bible, and so on, but it also says that it is coming down, if there is no earth what is it coming down to.

I guess that the point that I am making is that the planet itself will be utterly decimated, no life will exist on it, but the planet itself will still be here, most likely, �without form and void�. Sound familiar?

I was raised to be about as conservative and fundamental as the next Christian, but in all the reading I have done, both Biblical, non-canonical and historic, not to even mention the vast archeological evidence, I have come to the opinion that while the earth was created in its present form in six days, there had to have been something here previous that was destroyed. There are numerous ancient civilizations that believe that the world had been populated and destroyed every 9000 to 11000 years or so. I cannot find it currently, but I once read somewhere that this was part of what the Egyptians believed, and hence we have the story of Atlantis through Plato. The Mayans believed similarly that there are ages to the earth, and the earth goes through changes with each age. Their next big one, and the last is I believe on the much debated date of December 21,2012.

I guess if anyone can have a claim to know which books should be in the Bible, let us consider the following.

1. The Old Testament, translated by the Jewish High council in Alexandria at the bequest of Alexander, was the same Old Testament cannon in use today. It was considered finished at that time.

2. The assembly of the New Testament cannon was complete by the 2d century, by the church fathers. It is interesting to note that the universal church added a few books later on.

3. There are some today that feel they can add books or take away words from the Bible because of their "excellent" scholarship. I find this to be profoundly arrogant, since somehow they have ascribed to themselves a superior wisdom than those men and women who were many who knew those who walked with Christ himself.

On this topic, you must consider that much of the Bible came from the Hebrew Torah, and some of these books where removed from this for what I consider questionable reasons. Prior to Mosaic Law being the primary Law of the Jews, Enochain Law also existed. Many of the books that are now considered Psudopigraphal, where once accepted Hebrew books. In my personal opinion some of them are not only quite good, but have added considerably to my understanding of the Bible itself. Now I am not going to say they all should be read and added to the Bible, but there are some that where obviously studied by the writers of the Bible and are quoted verbatim in the existing Bible. One of the best things about the discovery of the Dead Sea scrolls was not only that they showed the consistency of the books throughout the years, but also that Qumran held books of both types, Enochain and Mosaic. Let me give you an example:

Enoch 1:9
And behold! He cometh with ten thousands of His holy ones to execute judgment upon all, And to destroy all the ungodly: And to convict all flesh of all the works of their ungodliness which they have ungodly committed, And of all the hard things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him.

Jud 1:14
And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, Jud 1:15 To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

This book was not only banned from the Hebrew scriptures, but one rabbi actually went so far as to pronounce a curse on anyone who reads it. It was later discarded at one of the Christian counsels from entering our cannon over this:

Gen 6:1 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, Gen 6:2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose. Gen 6:3 And the LORD said, my spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be a hundred and twenty years. Gen 6:4 there were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bore children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown. Gen 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. Gen 6:6 and it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. Gen 6:7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

An argument over whether or not an Angle can assume human form and mate with a human to produce offspring. Now before anyone brings up the stuff about this meaning the Sons of Seth and the Daughters of Cain, you better go and read Enoch first and see EXACTLY who the Sons of God refers to, or better yet read it from flavius josephus in his �Antiquities of the Jews�.

For many angels of God accompanied with women, and begat sons that proved unjust, and despisers of all that was good, on account of the confidence they had in their own strength; for the tradition is, that these men did what resembled the acts of those whom the Grecians call giants.

There are many, many more things that for some reason have been edited or left out of the Bible for some reason or another that seem to me to further clarify things, by various Counsels. Now that is not to say that I have any problem with the Inspiration of the writing of the scripture; I do question who chose what got put in and what got left out, and their reasoning/motivation. It seems like a lot of the heat that Christians take from skeptics could easily have been avoided by adding these clarifications into the finished Bible, but maybe it would take away from the idea of Faith. As far as skeptics go, I used to be one at one point, but then I decided to find out for myself, and found that there is much support for what is in the Bible. So now when someone challenges the validity of the Bible with me I just figure they�re not well enough read.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I just wanted to add.. something not serious to a post about half way up.

If we were to all be judged.. hopefully it wont be like waiting in line for a patent or something :/ that would take an eternity.. literally.. But anyways

my theory is that the bible is talking about something big, such as if WWIII were to break out. Since everyone would lob nuclear bombs at everyone. it would be.. painful.. In addition to the descriptions that radiation poisioning (if your not vaporized) makes it seem as if your on fire.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
The most apparent quote in the bible that states that the world will end is in Mark 13, when Jesus states that the world would end during his generation.

There he speaks of the Son of Man, but nowhere in Mark does he state that he is the son of man. Jesus in Mark is the most apocalyptic, and is seen by many scholars as most likely having been an apocalyptic preacher.

Regardless, when he states that the end happens during "this generation" (as in the generation of his apostles), he appears to be using it in the context of the generation of his apostles. In greek, the word for generation also means humanity, but everywhere else in the text the word generation is used in the context of his present time.

So my answer? Don't worry about doomsday stuff. Every doomsday preacher that has ever predicted the end of the world has been wrong to date.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
defcon5

No offense actually it was kind of funny that you posted so many times in a roll.

And about the bible please do a search in these topic here in ATS is many good post that have a very serious analysis on the bible subject. It does not hurt to do it.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeMoreCynical
The most apparent quote in the bible that states that the world will end is in Mark 13, when Jesus states that the world would end during his generation.

It�s also in Mathew.

Mat 24:32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; when his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:
Mat 24:33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

This is one verse where the Generation will not pass quotation comes form. Now if you are of the Historic view this would refer to this quote

Mat 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand

Mat 24:16 Then let them which be in Judea flee into the mountains:

Which literally meant that someone was going to erect and Idol in the Temple of the Lord on Mount Zion. And this did occur within a generation of when Christ spoke it, I believe it was around 70 AD when Jerusalem was destroyed, that one of the Roman Caesars erected an Idol in the Temple in the Holy of Holies. The Christians of the time knew the destruction of Israel was neigh, and fled into the mountains.

Now if you are of the Futurist view, then they tend to interpret it as an event that started around 1968. The fig tree is a symbol for Israel, and the interpretation is that within a generation of the time when the fig tree puts forth leaves, or Israel becomes a sovereign nation once again, Christ will return. This happened in 1968, so the end is to come within a generation of that occurring.

[edit on 10/17/2004 by defcon5]

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   

defcon5

No offense actually it was kind of funny that you posted so many times in a roll.

Something tells me that the guy I was talking with is in your Ignore User List.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Well defcon 5 you could have done all those post in one. Now you have to remember that the book of reveletions was the last book added to the compilation of the bible and like anything done by the hands of men, was by church mandate and I will be skeptical on the validity of it.

In my views the church views of how the end of days should be is very strong in revelations.

Aye, remember John the baptis who wrote the revelation in the present spirit of our Lord as he watch each seal broken of what may happen, atlast the seventh was not to be written for men to know, until it cometh upon them. I would have to agree with marg6043 that men have added and taken away from the Book. At least the Ten Commandments is not argued by any in this world.
Matey, do not fear when the time comes, angles will protect thee from harm, unless thee has not change thee way. Lass and lads, must be off searching for gold on this island. That blasted parrot got into the rum again and singing 'My Bonny Lays Over the Ocean'. If you need me, just put a message in the bottle. If not, arr, when we meet again.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Yes the bible clearly sets out prophecies and predictions concerning the end of this world, follow these links:

Final events in 2004:

www.eeahooay.org...

Highly probable asteroid impact september 29 or 30 2004, see my thread in predictions section, or do a google search on toutatis 4179.

We are in the last days........

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Interesting enough I have to add to the thread in a new way.... The BIBLE CODE people claim the code says the earth willm pass away in 2012, yes that is the same as the mayan calander ending... interesting.

FYI... I dont buy the bible code bunk just wanted to add something to this bible end of the world thread. I align with spidergooch on this subject so you know where I sit before you know where I stand.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
The Bible (Torah) codes say there will be an atomic holocaust in 2006

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix
The Bible (Torah) codes say there will be an atomic holocaust in 2006

I'm interested in hearing why you believe this to be true. Where specifically does it say "there will be an atomic holocaust in 2006"?

I'm not a biblical scholar, but I can somewhat find my way around, and I am very curious as to why you would make such a bold statement about this subject; asserting a theory or interpretation can be dangerous sometimes.

Please get back to me with that quote or quotes.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpockO_o

The true bible is the Roman Catholic Bible all others are fake!!!FAKE FAKE FAKE!!!!! So why even bother reading others?

Look man I know for a fact you are wrong.

I am God.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpockO_o

I suggest you choose your words wisely. The Roman Catholic Religion could be the largest abomination. Catholic means world domination. They have placed themselves before GOD himself.

Furthermore, it is written that all religions have been deceived. You cant just build up a religion because you like a particular verse or passage. Each religion is missing so muchits not even funny so none are correct. The only true religion is being kind, having patience, understanding, compromise and most of all being selfless. If you notice, sin derives fromt he opposites of these true actions.

As for the world parishing by fire. It is not something instant. Many humans cannot understand this. Things have been changing around us so rapidly. Things are prgressively getting worse around us as people blindly look for the big boom.

Furthermore, 1/3 parts will be destroyed by fires, so on and so on. There is still 1000 more years before judgement where Jesus will be back to show us the true ways and open all of our eyes and we have one last chance to change but many will percieve him as the anti-christ.

It surpises me how many people go off looking for writings about the end of the world when all cultures point to the very timeframe as revelations. This is suppose to be the last generation.

Also, we wont burn up. Well some will as with any natural disaster. Hades and Death will be put in the lake of fire.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Here's my understanding of what the Bible says versus what we're going through now. (These ideas need some sort of understanding that there are higher beings watching out for us at all times, and that we are higher beings living a human existence on earth.) I read channelings of higher beings and truly believe that their energies and thoughts can be transmitted through people here on Earth.

It used to be, that way back in the Bible days and before, it was known that negativity would spread over the world in such a way that the earth would not be able to stand up to the badness going on--everything from disease, to wars (nuclear especially), to starvation, to enslavement (on every scale. We are slaves to this day--look at how dependent we are on gasoline to live our lives. Who controls that?) and that the Earth would have to shake off all the negativity at some point. The Earth has a soul and can only take so much.

Next, the Universe rotates around the Central Sun. Out from the Central Sun streams a band of higher energy called the Photon Belt--we pass through it every 22,00 years, or so. Our galaxy passed into the photon belt about 5 years ago. [This is the beginning of the Ascension, just as predicted by Jesus 2000 years ago, so here we are.]
Higher energies create more light and less dark (that's all scientific), and more light means that the darkness has a harder and harder time living there, and is therefore not allowed to be there. Right now, the negative forces are trying to keep hold of the power they have over the Earth for thousands and thousands of years. We all know how crazy things have gotten lately, it's because the Dark is grasping at any straw they can to keep control. They've attempted to attack the US again and again since 9/11, but are being thwarted by the Higher Beings that are watching out for us. Doesn't it seem strange that no more nuclear bombs have gone off anywhere in the world since 1945? Not being allowed to happen.

Around the year 1999, just about the time the Earth was going to start to explode like crazy--volcanoes, earthquakes, bad weather--the people on the earth prayed enough and wished enough that we could stop all the wars, and bad # that's been goin on here, that the Higher Powers heard our cry and came to help. This is supposedly unprecidented in the history of the Universe. They have been coming here in droves to keep the negative forces from destroying the earth. Spaceships are used by angellic beings and the Higher Forces. They are in a higher dimension, which is shy we can't see them. We are surrounded by spaceships.

9/11 was an attack by the Bush Administration on the American people. [If you want to see evidence, I can post a link where you can see it.] No matter how much faith you have in this government, your own government attacked you. The sooner you come to grips with it, the sooner you can start to change the way things are on Earth. --This attack was allowed to happen to wake us up from our numbness that we've been in for decades. It worked.-- The Administration needed a war to get the pipeline in Afghanistan, and to create the Patriot Act and Homeland Security. Clinton wouldn't attack Afghanistan for the sake of Enron, so Bush did. Since the attack, the Higher Powers have been keeping tabs on those guys to see that no other attacks would take place on American soil. Seems like something else would have happened by now, right? Just have a whole lot of faith that we're being protected, and don't let the scare tactics phase you, they are a device of the Dark. Stay positive.

Okay, so, the Earth would have gone up in smoke by now, but since enough people on earth asked that peace be declared, the earth is being helped by the Higher Powers to ascend into a higher dimension, with all of us on board. That's right, we're going too, and the negative forces that want to continually wreak havoc on Earth, will be sent somewhere else. They are not welcome here anymore. All the stuff in the Bible about the Earth going up in flames has been changed, because we asked it to be changed.

Be happy, be nice to your neighbor (they are a part of you) and most of all, DO NOT let fear bother you. It's a device of the Dark, that's how they control you. Stay centered and positive and know that soon, things will change pretty much over night, with the Earth and everyone on it, seeing a much brighter future, one without war and starvation and disease. We've asked for it, and we will have it. Creator God is letting it happen that way. Unprecidented in the Universe.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I thought the bible said that the world would end as we know it.....
Could this mean that our world will change so much that we would have to change to survive? Just by saying that the world is going to end as we know it there could be so many possibilites of what is to come and what is to happen.
I know I've said this before but I belive that the bible is just one possible outcome if humanity continues down it's current path. I belive that anything can be changed, or prolonged.
Heck who am I to say. Only one energy knows and thats the big man upstairs.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join