It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Piggies are friends NOT FOOD!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by admiralmary

Originally posted by MeesterB
You can eat them with a little BBQ sauce.
Maybe some baked beans and rolls. Good stuff.

I`m on a forum full of heartless killers!

So you do know most of the world eats foods you don't, right? And we also don't have plates and silverware set aside for meat or dairy. Get use to it.

Kosher and survival do not mix.
edit on 31-12-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by admiralmary

Interesting thoughts......I counter this aguement with the McRib. 'nuff said.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   

They are good company,even on your yacht,you never know when the storm is coming.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Do you eat any kind of meat? If so you are nothing more then a hypocrite. And your words are as hollow as the advise you have for others.
edit on 31-12-2011 by Subjective Truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

Do you eat any kind of meat? If so you are nothing more then a hypocrite. And you words are as hollow as the advise you have for others.

you call me a hypocrite without waiting for my answer?
nice..
and no i dont

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Maybe some reading comprehension would do you some good. The words might be getting mixed up from the lack of protein in your diet.

I said if this is so......... The rest is.......

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Also I wondering what we should do with all the other animals that eat meat? Should the lion be ashamed? What about the bear should he not eat meat also?

Maybe a organized campaign to convert all of them to veggies is a good idea. We could get Paul Watson to take on the job.
edit on 31-12-2011 by Subjective Truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   

how can i eat them ? as bacon , gammon steaks , pork chops , roast or baked ham , ribbs , roast pork [ with crackling ] etc etc

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

I don't touch pig either

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I like piggies too...and I have several. What you show in the video looks to be a mini-pig...one step down from a pot belly pig.

I have some of these I am breeding and they are good for pets and quite profitable. A litter of pigs will be about 8-10-12...and once weened, can sell for about 50-100 dollars each...do the math.

I also have potbelly pigs I raise for meat. These guys also make good pets, but you have to feed them a special diet to keep small...otherwise, they turn to hogs with short legs... these are good for the small gathering and southern style pig picking.

Then come the hogs... they start out small, but in a year get mighty big and after a couple of years... they can weigh 300-400 lbs. I have two that I am breeding and she should have piglets this spring... a litter of 10 or more is normal. Some of these I will sell for 50 dollars apiece, and usually keep 2-3 of the healthiest for myself for meat for winter/ Christmas 2 years out. This way you always have meat.

I usually feed them corn, a12% pellet feed, and any scraps from the farm...I also feed them turnips. I started this past year as feed costs doubled. I tried red mangled beets... didn't like them... and I decided to try purple top turnips.... This way, what they didn't eat, I would eat or I could sell off the farm. They are popular here in the south. I planted about 2 acres, feed them the greens until the roots are about the size of a baseball... then I feed them the greens and roots too. With about 2.00 worth of seed I can grow about 500 turnips...I planted about 15.00 worth of seed and have turnips galore...real savings there so my price per pound for raising my own meat goes way down.

Anyway, when you kill a hog... you can use evrything. In fact, portions of the hog are almost like currency or barter items. We have a couple of older gentlemen that help and they always want the head, feet, and sometimes the organs and chitterlings...chittlin's... actually hog intestines...and will help for free in exchange.

Now... in spite of all the hard work in butchering, keeping hogs is easy. Have good strong fences, make sure the base is sturdy and we line the bottom inside and out with wooden pallets... this keeps the hog from rooting or digging out. Beyond that, simply feed heavy in the morning, plenty of water... and plenty of bedding... we use hay, straw, leaves from the yard... which they love as full of acorns, corn stalks and shucks...which they also eat.

That's it. Now the payoff... we killed two hogs last winter...about 350 lbs apiece and you will lose about 1/3 in bone and dressing... however, we ended up with 330 pounds of homemade sausage... some seasoned with red pepper and sage...some seasoned for Italian bulk sausage. We also dressed out 4 tenderloins as long as your leg each, 4 full racks of ribs as long as your midsection down, some pork chops, bags and bags of backbones, neckbones, and hog liver. Everything else we traded in exchange for help... and we paid 100 dollars to use a neighbors eqiupment, packing the sausage into sleeves, and clean up.... sanitation is of the utmost importance. Literally a pick-up truck load of meat.

My costs... about 2.00 per pound after feeding and processing... which should go down this year since I am growing the bulk of my own feed. Yes, we paid 2.00 lb for neck bones, BUT we also paid 2.00 lb for boneless tenderloin roasts... and the homemade sausage... we actually sold some to friends and neighbors for 10.00 a 3lb sleeve.

Lastly, I also use a pig tractor. We keep a a few pigs in mobile pens about 5'x7' set up on skids or a sled... this way we can move the pen everyday. We use this in the garden or field. The pig roots around, tears up and turns the ground... eats the grubs, fertilizes the ground... and then we move him/her a lttle the next day... after about 5 days, it looks like a 3pt tractor rototiller has been through. Gets my fields ready for plowing and planting in a single pass. Plus, it gives the pig fresh ground and good health to do what pigs do... then when too big for pen, we put in the big pig pen.

Just think, always having about 300 - 900 lbs of fresh and frozen pork at any given time...and always more on the way, plus turning a little income to cover costs and for a little pocket money.

Yup, I love piggies too.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Living in an area that's overrun with the damn things, I guess I can't get too concerned about hogs. In the wild, the only things they're good for are completely destroying the habitat of other wildlife and for attacking anything that gets too close. In light of that, I can't view them as having any real use besides bacon and pork chops. Sorry.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
just yesterday my mom picked me up a veggie burger from burger king, the $@#$ that made it slapped 2 pieces of bacon on it. good thing i know to check everything i don't make myself thoroughly having been vegetarian since 5th grade.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
One must assume that you have a twisted sense of humor among other urges to post in this forum.
Since the forum is about survivial--and not about pet pigs--I'll simply offer a counter to your posting.

I don't know that it has ever been discussed in the survival forum or not, but as far as surviving beyond a SHTF moment, in the US wild hogs will probably be the mainstay meat for those that have the intelligence and wherewithal to take them as food. The numbers of these very adapable critters are growing at a phenomenal rate, and they can live about anywhere except in the middle of highways.

During tough times, forget scouring the woods via traditioinal hunting methods for obtaining wild game such as deer, elk, whatever. Wild pigs be be rooting up your gardens and knocking at your door to get in.

I won't get into more detail on these (current) pests and potential future meat machines, but to those looking forward to surviving in the after-effect, a decent-sized long gun will be necessary to bring these tough hombres to the table. As far as pet pigs go, they will be the first to go.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
When TSHTF you will be very surprised at what you will eat.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
i have no issue for people who are kosher, veggie or vegan or whatever your food preference, me personally if it came down to it and it meant i would starve to death it would be bye bye to the animals around me and yes even my cute bunny who has been in my family since she was only weeks old. it may sound heartless listening to people say things like this but at the end of the day its just about survival, it doesn't matter the animal. Hell i bet if in the right circumstances alot of people would turn to canibilism to survive (been known documented cases of such things happening). Its about staying alive, i guarantee you if in the same position an animal would do what it took to live if push came to shove.

Alternately though there are sites out there that can give you tips on survival foods etc

www.survivehardtimes.com...

www.survival-homestead.com...

just gotta hunt around a little.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Kosher and survival do not mix.

on the contrary,
what means do you have to make sure
any pork you eat post-SHTF, doesn't have Trichinosis

Trichinosis, also called trichinellosis, or trichiniasis, is a parasitic disease caused by eating raw or undercooked pork or wild game infected with the larvae of a species of roundworm Trichinella spiralis, commonly called the trichina worm. There are eight Trichinella species; five are encapsulated and three are not.[1] Only three Trichinella species are known to cause trichinosis: T. spiralis, T. nativa, and T. britovi.[1] The few cases in the United States are mostly the result of eating undercooked game, bear meat, or home-reared pigs. It is common in developing countries where meat fed to pigs is raw or undercooked, but many cases also come from developed countries in Europe and North America, where raw or undercooked pork and wild game may be consumed as delicacies.

other than eating Kosher, hmmm?
edit on 31-12-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
mmmmm, hey you guys know what goes good with bacon?

MORE BACON !!!! NOM NOM NOM!

seriously though those little piggies are so cute i could just eat them up

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
what about chickens?

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Now, Having a kosher upbringing, i have never had the temptation to ever eat pork bacon or anything from a pig

You just don't know what you're missing!
Seriously, I been eating pork (especially bacon) all my life and I'm fine.
Today is Bacon Day also, how dare you? You blasphemer!

Save the piggies? Not on my watch.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
double cripsy post.

edit on 31-12-2011 by Dr Cosma because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join