It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daytime UFO activity over North Hollywood, California 28-Dec-2011

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Think it safe to say that lens flares and satellites can be ruled out...as well as Sirius and/or Betelgeuse. Off hand, I'd have to go with a bundle o' Mylar balloons as well, but not with any absolute certainty, as it just isn't clear enough. (Shrugs.)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I was ready to jump on the balloons band wagon until I saw something in that video that caught my eye. at approx. 1:49 the "UFO" disappears from view it then shows up again near the bottom of the screen at 1:52 and then makes, what I can only describe as a "jump" to the left. Seeing this caused me to think maybe it isn't just Balloons.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I think it is a UFO because I can't really tell you what it is, it is unidentified.

That said...It may be several ballons with lights, inside a larger ballon or clear bag/ballon.

There I go ...just guessing...I hate not knowing.

I do not know what it is. That's the truth.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by shushu
Anyone who says it's a weather balloon is a pathetic troll.
edit on 31-12-2011 by shushu because: (no reason given)

Who said it was a weather balloon ?
It is a group of reflective Mylar balloons tied together .... simple as that .

Check the similar videos posted K1771gnorance .
edit on 31-12-2011 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
My guess is a bunch of (I estimated about 8-10-1ft diameter Mylar) balloons. They look like many of the balloons you might find at nearby parks to that location like Universal Studios Park, a short distance from N. Hollywood, and of course all the others down south in Anaheim too.

The mass is tumbling and moving about and each balloon becomes a reflective surface as they all move about, seemingly tethered together.

Nice catch, but the balloon thought seems most plausible.

link   
Same goes for anyone who says they're mylar balloons. Each individual FLASHING light (not reflective light) is quite large... and additionally... they don't BEHAVE like a cluster of free-floating mylar balloons. Maybe at ground level in a strong gale while someone is still hanging onto them... which would be entirely different behavior then when they are free floating in a cluster high above the earth. The movement of a free-floating cluster of balloons would be more synchronized. These FLASHES are wildly rotating and definitely not in synch... a behavior typical of balloons ANCHORED in wind.

Study the video more closely.
edit on 31-12-2011 by shushu because: (no reason given)

link   
Hmmm... why would there be a fabulously glittery rainbow over North Hollywood..?
Second line.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Anyone who says it's a weather balloon is a pathetic troll.

Same goes for anyone who says they're mylar balloons.

Thanks for insulting everybody. You know what they call people who insult others on internet forums right? I'll give you a hint; it starts with a "T".

Each individual FLASHING light (not reflective light) is quite large...

Why do you claim it is not reflective light?

Mylar balloons are basically mirrors in the sky. If the angle is just right, they will reflect the Sun right back at the camera. When the wind tumbles the balloons around, the angles of the "mirrors" are constantly changing and "flashing" the sun light back at the camera. Since balloon surfaces are somewhat round, this can create more angles for the light to reflect back at the camera. The round surface can also cone out the light over distance, and by the time the light reaches the camera it looks a lot bigger than the balloon itself.

and additionally... they don't BEHAVE like a cluster of free-floating mylar balloons.

I just showed you some examples that pretty much prove you wrong. Balloons tied together, high in the sky, in light gusts of wind do tumble around just like it is shown in the video. Anyone who denies that is severely lacking observational skills.

Maybe at ground level in a strong gale while someone is still hanging onto them... which would be entirely different behavior then when they are free floating in a cluster high above the earth. The movement of a free-floating cluster of balloons would be more synchronized. These FLASHES are wildly rotating and definitely not in synch... a behavior typical of balloons ANCHORED in wind.

I honestly think you are stretching the truth a LOT. First off, the balloons don't look like they are all independently free floating, they look like they are tied closely together and free-floating as a group. Second, free-floating balloons that are tied together do NOT in ANY circumstances fly in synchronization. I actually laugh that you even tried to claim that. I shows a lack of understanding of aerodynamics and the randomness of atmospheric turbulence.

When a balloon experiences turbulence, or a small gust of wind, the wind curls around the balloon creating a type of slipstream, and that causes any balloons next to it to experience a completely different effect. Sometimes it creates a low pressure area behind the first balloon, and the second balloon will get sucked closer into the first balloon. While the air is bouncing around and curling around the rest of the balloons, it effects all the balloons differently.

And, if the balloons are tied together, this causes a whole other effect. When the balloons try to fly away, the slight elasticity of the strings and their connections to other balloons cause them to get "rubber-banded" back in the other direction. All the turbulence acting on each balloon, and each balloon pulling on the others by their strings creates chaos, not order.

I won't even go into detail about static electricity that is picked up by the balloons from small currents of air causing the balloons to either attract or repel each other...

There is no way a cluster of balloons will ever fly in synchronization, that is too hilarious to even consider.

Study the video more closely.

How about you study balloons more closely.

edit on 31-12-2011 by K1771gnorance because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ecdude
I was ready to jump on the balloons band wagon until I saw something in that video that caught my eye. at approx. 1:49 the "UFO" disappears from view it then shows up again near the bottom of the screen at 1:52 and then makes, what I can only describe as a "jump" to the left. Seeing this caused me to think maybe it isn't just Balloons.

That is caused by multiple things.

1) His camera is on auto-focus, and when you point an auto-focus camera at the sky it has a really hard time determining range, and constantly goes out of focus. When the balloons "disappear" they actually got extremely out of focus to the point where you can't even see it anymore.

2) Also, the balloons are mirror like, and when they reflect the blue sky it camouflages them slightly.

3) The camera man loses sight of the balloons a few times (because of his auto-focus having trouble) and he moved the camera too high while looking for them... that is why the balloon magically showed up at the bottom at times, because he panned back down during his search and found them.

Also, throughout the video, and his other videos, he edits the video and splices sections together to cut out the parts where he loses sight of the balloon. That is why you see the balloons "jump" at about 1:57 in the video. He used a "fade" transition when he spliced the videos together, and so it appears like a "jump". So you see the balloons in two places at one time. In another video, you can see the wires from the telephone pole fade or "jump" into view.

Come on people... you want these collections of balloons to be a UFO so bad that you mistake simple video issues and edited transitions for some type of teleportation?
edit on 31-12-2011 by K1771gnorance because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Looks to me like those shimmery metallic balloons all tied together someone let loose and there just floating along with the wind ...They don't seem to have any intelligent flight but it was a interesting video to watch..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Ok Mylar balloons seems like a good possibility in the mix here and very well maybe the culprit of this video.

But, I ask this, why if these are balloons are they not moving? They seems to be higher than ground level, as he is shooting at roughly a 60 degree angle, so the would be subjected to the wind currents.

So, in three minutes why do we have very little movement?

Pred...

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

post by predator0187
So, in three minutes why do we have very little movement?

The problem is there is nothing in the video to give perspective on the movement of the balloons , and it is edited and repeated at 1.26 and 208 so its no a continuous shot .
edit on 31-12-2011 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Mexican children instead send their gift wishes to the "reyes magos" in letters attached to balloons that are released into the sky in the days before Jan. 6. "Behave in school, or the reyes magos won't bring you presents this year!" they let ballons into the air every year at this time..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Hmmmm, not really convinced by the balloon theory on this, firstly the light does not appear to be a reflection, it appears to emanate from the object(s), and when you watch it full screen there seems to be almost like a plasma field around the objects, I haven't seen any footage of balloons being able to emulate what is seen here. Also the light changes colours, going from a creamy white, to a pale green, sometimes blueish and then sometimes a slight reddish tint, the colours are around all of the objects to which rules out it being different coloured balloons.

Watch the video again, in full screen, then compare the reflections on the videos of balloons posted here, they are completely different forms of lighting, if they are balloons then they must be carrying a artificial light source

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Hahahahahahaha oh man the thing I love most about this site is how absolutely limited most people's perceptions are on these kind of things...whenever there is legitimate UFO images/videos/info most of the posters will say the stupidest things ive ever heard...metal balloons grouped together?! lmfao WEAK!! Im sorry, Im not trying to be mean but come on people, maybe the real reason why our world is so #ed up is because most of us cant tell our heads from our ass when it really matters...why would ETs want to come to a planet where its habitants constantly choose to be completely ignorant of their existence. Some people are just brainwashed beyond return...pitiful, but I wont pity you, you choose to be stupid. This is clearly an Unidentified Flying Object...open your eyes for once people its not hard!

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightBlue2565
Hahahahahahaha oh man the thing I love most about this site is how absolutely limited most people's perceptions are on these kind of things...whenever there is legitimate UFO images/videos/info most of the posters will say the stupidest things ive ever heard...metal balloons grouped together?! lmfao WEAK!! Im sorry, Im not trying to be mean but come on people, maybe the real reason why our world is so #ed up is because most of us cant tell our heads from our ass when it really matters.why would ETs want to come to a planet where its habitants constantly choose to be completely ignorant of their existence. Some people are just brainwashed beyond return...pitiful, but I wont pity you, you choose to be stupid. This is clearly an Unidentified Flying Object...open your eyes for once people its not hard!

It is only a UFO until it is identified. Simply stating that it is a UFO without bothering to explore potential explanations is not opening your eyes, and it certainly isn't hard. It is rather ignorant though. Can you provide any reasoning as to why the balloon theory is "lmfao WEAK!!"? It's a bit hypocritical to call others stupid without providing any intelligent discussion yourself.

I like this site because there are people who are willing to research and discuss things intelligently that would otherwise have remained unknown. Of course you have to deal with the insults and name calling, but that's a small price to pay for denying ignorance.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
in case everyone missed the comment in the video.. he states very plainly ..

IN CASE YOU THINK IT'S BALLOONS, IT'S 50% SPEED..

case closed on Mylar balloons-check!

next up .. UFO .. of the 4th Dimension, and what are they doing here..

Open for debate with an open mind..all others, listen up.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo
in case everyone missed the comment in the video.. he states very plainly ..

IN CASE YOU THINK IT'S BALLOONS, IT'S 50% SPEED..

case closed on Mylar balloons-check!

next up .. UFO .. of the 4th Dimension, and what are they doing here..

Open for debate with an open mind..all others, listen up.

May I ask how that statement closes the case on balloons? It still looks like balloons at 50% speed, and just because someone says something on youtube, it doesn't make it true. Also, there is a good reason I'm not going to blindly accept the posters word as honest truth.

Did you notice the ad that came up when watching the video? If you weren't aware, people can profit off the advertising and views of their videos. The poster of the video, iShowUFO, has based his whole channel on posting these UFO videos. Every view makes him money, so you can see why one would take his commentary with a grain of salt. This is not just a casual observer who caught something and shared it. He profits off these videos. And somehow he always seems to be a able to capture these objects.

He has offered to take people and show them these objects, but unfortunately I can't check if this offer is genuine, as I live on the other side of the Pacific. I would love it if these videos were genuine, but so far I haven't seen any reason to doubt the balloons theory. I'm not 100% convinced that they're balloons, but I think they are by far the most logical explanation.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join