It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Notification of a Human Case of H5N1 Bird Flu in Shenzhen

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

Originally posted by 00nunya00

Originally posted by soficrow

1. I seriously doubt this strain was engineered, but if it was, why on earth would China infect their own people and nation?

[...]

[Now, it looks like the target has shifted and China is being scapegoated to take the fall instead.]

Okay, that's where I'm confused----on the one hand, you imply that this was planned and engineered and they already had patsies for it, … Maybe I'm missing something?

I really don't get your confusion - but I'll try to clarify.

* I said a pandemic was predicted, which does NOT mean planned and engineered.
* I implied that peoples' perceptions of this predicted event are being manipulated, NOT that the event itself was engineered.
* I noted that a few weeks ago Fouchier and Kawaoka were being set up to be blamed for causing the predicted pandemic, then the target shifted to scapegoat China - likely because of the outcry from public health authorities in defense of bird flu research - but both accusations are wrong.
* My focus is on natural evolutionary processes, the fact that human-caused ecological and environmental changes are accelerating evolution in the natural world - especially viral and microbial evolution - and my main point is that blaming bioterrorism or any single nation instead of holding corporate industry accountable is a complete misdirection.

The facts:

Scientists have been telling us for decades that industrial activities create disease - and warning us that some really nasty stuff is starting to emerge from our now unnatural "natural world." It's not a surprise - no bioterrorism required - we're just waiting for the ball to drop.

Something happened biologically at the end of the 1990's: diseases started crossing species barriers like crazy, then kingdom barriers; bacteria started eating antibiotics and flourishing. All the rules of biology were being broken, one after the other in the natural world, and the writing was on the wall.

This 2006 thread outlines the situation, although much of the meat and most of the references were culled by some eager archivist: Beyond Bird Flu: The Perfect Microbial Storm (2006).

Our world's scientists really did their best to warn us. The following 2003 report commissioned from the US Institute of Medicine balances the demands of the day's political agenda with scientific reality rather well.

Microbial Threats to Health: Emergence, Detection, and Response (2003)

Microbes live in every conceivable ecological niche on the planet and have inhabited the earth for many hundreds of millions of years. Indeed, microbes may be the most abundant life form by mass, and they are highly adaptable to external forces. The vast majority of microbes are essential to human, animal, and plant life. Occasionally, however, a microbe is identified as a pathogen because it causes an acute infectious disease or triggers a pathway to chronic diseases, including some cancers. ….Microbial threats continue to emerge, reemerge, and persist. Some microbes cause newly recognized diseases in humans; others are previously known pathogens that are infecting new or larger population groups or spreading into new geographic areas. ….

The emergence and spread of microbial threats are driven by a complex set of factors, the convergence of which can lead to consequences of disease much greater than any single factor might suggest. ….

The spectrum of microbial threats is a continuum that comprises the emergence of newly recognized infectious diseases, the resurgence of endemic diseases, the appearance of new antimicrobial-resistant forms of diseases, the recognition of the infectious etiology of chronic diseases, and the intentional use of biological agents for harm.

.............cont'd below.............
edit on 2/1/12 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
.......cont'd from above.............

The report reviews 13 separate factors that can converge to create virulent infectious disease: "intent to harm" is only one factor. Nonetheless, the mainstream press and corporate lackeys persistently focus on bioterrorism threats and fabricated "national" agendas. Why? To distract and deflect - and take the heat off industry.

FACTORS IN EMERGENCE

The convergence of any number of factors can create an environment in which infectious diseases can emerge and become rooted in society. ….The following individual factors in emergence are examined in this report:

1. Microbial adaptation and change.

2. Human susceptibility to infection.

3. Climate and weather.

4. Changing ecosystems. In general, changes in the environment tend to have the greatest influence on the transmission of microbial agents that are waterborne, airborne, foodborne, or vector-borne, or that have an animal reservoir. Given today’s rapid pace of ecological change, understanding how environmental factors are affecting the emergence of infectious diseases has assumed an added urgency.

5. Economic development and land use.

6. Human demographics and behavior.

7. Technology and industry. Infectious diseases have emerged as a direct result of changes in technology and industry. Advances in medical technologies, such as blood transfusions, human organ and tissue transplants, and xenotransplantation (using an animal source), have created new pathways for the spread of certain infections. Even the manner in which animals are raised as food products, such as the use of antimicrobials for growth production, has abetted the rise in infectious diseases by contributing to antimicrobial resistance.

8. International travel and commerce.

9. Breakdown of public health measures.

10. Poverty and social inequality.

11. War and famine.

12. Lack of political will. If progress is to be made toward the control of infectious diseases, the political will to do so must encompass not only governments in the regions of highest disease prevalence, but also corporations, officials, health professionals, and citizens of affluent regions who ultimately share the same global microbial landscape. ….

13. Intent to harm.

Recognizing and addressing the ways in which the factors in emergence converge to change vulnerability to infectious diseases is essential to the development and implementation of effective prevention and control strategies. Detecting and responding to global infectious disease threats is in the economic, humanitarian, and national security interests of the United States and essential to the health of its people.

….yet the country where it would have *naturally* mutated and had devastating effects due to horrible farming practices isn't to blame?

As specified earlier, new H5N1 strains were appearing in Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia and the Koreas last summer, and looked ready to jump human-to-human: Mutant, deadly H5N1 strain of bird flu emerges in Asia and could sweep the globe this fall.

In fact, several nations have reported human cases over the past few months, from Egypt and Zimbabwe to Vietnam and Cambodia. China is just the last report - but the mainstream media is using the case to redirect attention and "blame China."

I'm just interested in finding the truth, and resistant to manipulation. That's all.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

* My focus is on natural evolutionary processes, the fact that human-caused ecological and environmental changes are accelerating evolution in the natural world - especially viral and microbial evolution - and my main point is that blaming bioterrorism or any single nation instead of holding corporate industry accountable is a complete misdirection.

Right on, that makes sense now. Thanks!

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

Originally posted by 00nunya00

Right on, that makes sense now. Thanks!

You're welcome.

And wheeuw! I was starting to wonder where you were coming from!

....Here's to ATS - for giving us all the opportunity to hone our writing and communication skills.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
UPDATE

The strain that killed the Shenzhen bus driver is "similar" to the one behind the recent Hong Kong outbreak in chickens - but NOT the same. Hopefully, China will release the genetic information - but maybe not, if the US insists on continuing to censor such essential scientific documentation in the West.

….Time for the corporate politicos to stop playing chicken with public health, methinks. Maybe remove the military-industrial complex from the equation, cancel Halliburton's contract and focus on public health, not profit.

Also: Experts are saying that people infected with one of the current bird flu strains may not even show symptoms for as much as 8-17 days after the infection.

Health authorities identify virus leading to Guangdong bird flu death

Genetic analysis of the virus has indicated that it is similar to a virus found in dead migrant birds in a 2011 avian influenza outbreak in Hong Kong. However, it is not known if the case in Guangdong is related to migrant birds, the center said.

….Poultry and migrant birds are the only vectors for human H5N1 infection, according to He Jianfeng, director of the Epidemics Studies Institute of the Guangdong Disease Control Center.

However, He said that there is no clear evidence that Chen had close contact with poultry or migrant birds. Health authorities are still working to figure out where and when Chen acquired the virus.

Although it is highly pathogenic, the virus cannot be spread from person-to-person contact, the center said in a previous statement, adding that there is no need for people to panic.

The Guangdong Department of Agriculture also announced on Saturday that no epidemics of avian flu among poultry have been reported in the province.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join