It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

25,343,888,556 + Mouths to feed everyday. How can farmers do it without chemicals? Any ideas?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Just a though about why we are all being poisioned by chemicals in our food. There are;
7 billion people in the world.
939,318,700 pigs in the world www.thepigsite.com...
895 096 200 cows in the world micpohling.wordpress.com...
15,853,900,000 chickens in the world en.wikipedia.org...
655 573 656 sheep in the world micpohling.wordpress.com...
That alone makes 25.343 BILLION mouths to feed all the while the bugs are doing everything they can to eat all of our crops. As fast as the chemical companies can make chemicals to kill the bugs the bugs are adapting and becoming impervious to the chemicals. Does someone have a suggestion on how to feed 25.3 BILLION mouths EVERYDAY without the chemicals necessary to keep the bugs from eating our food? Hey I dont like it either, I wont eat anything corn based anymore but does ANYONE have ANY ideas? Realistic ideas?

Please remember I am not counting horses, ducks, geese, turkeys, rabbits, fish, bison, emu, or any other type animals in the world that we humans raise for food so the number given is very low. Especially when considering that most of the above numbers are from the 1990's. I cannot even imagine 26 billion mouths all wanting to be fed.

edit on 30-12-2011 by candcantiques because: incorrect number

edit on 30-12-2011 by candcantiques because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Well i assume you mean crops
Most of the crops we have today are soy crops, wheat crops.
I believe soy takes up most of it,
And well, hemp can replace soy without the use of chemicals. Perhaps a little pesticide, but not after these gmo freakshow crops have mutated the bugs that devour them. Its getting crazy out there...

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Move the crops inside.

www.omegagarden.com...

We are past the point of traditional farming. The way we do things is insane. There are natural ways of preventing bugs from eating your crops.

They don't have them on the market, or aren't known about because you can't patent nature.

And if there's no money in it, than Monsanto won't let you have it.

~Keeper
edit on 12/30/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/30/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by candcantiques
Just a though about why we are all being poisioned by chemicals in our food. There are;
8 billion people in the world.
939,318,700 pigs in the world www.thepigsite.com...
895 096 200 cows in the world micpohling.wordpress.com...
15,853,900,000 chickens in the world en.wikipedia.org...
655 573 656 sheep in the world micpohling.wordpress.com...
That alone makes 26.343 BILLION mouths to feed all the while the bugs are doing everything they can to eat all of our crops. As fast as the chemical companies can make chemicals to kill the bugs the bugs are adapting and becoming impervious to the chemicals. Does someone have a suggestion on how to feed 26.3 BILLION mouths EVERYDAY without the chemicals necessary to keep the bugs from eating our food? Hey I dont like it either, I wont eat anything corn based anymore but does ANYONE have ANY ideas? Realistic ideas?

Please remember I am not counting horses, ducks, geese, turkeys, rabbits, fish, bison, emu, or any other type animals in the world that we humans raise for food so the number given is very low. Especially when considering that most of the above numbers are from the 1990's. I cannot even imagine 26 billion mouths all wanting to be fed.

Diatomaceous Earth has been used for centuries. I promise you, you've been eating it all your life. It's mixed into silos and stowage bins for all grains, corn, etc. When larvae of newly hatched insects crawl through it the razor sharp shards of DE cuts them up and they dehydrate to death. But for larger creatures like dogs and us, it only serves as an intestinal wormer at its biggest threat.

It's given the more acceptable name of "shell flour"
edit on 30-12-2011 by tkwasny because: addition

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tkwasny

Wow thanks. Never heard of that before. I like to learn new things. Not sure about the above post that says to grow everything inside though. Thats a whole lot of buildings and water systems. Would put alot of people to work though but food prices would skyrocket to cover the costs of the buildings.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
We haven't reached 7 billion YET - we're almost there. www.census.gov...

Yes, genetic-engineering. Turn all humans into plant-people who eat sunshine and dirt (minerals).

Think of all the nuclear waste dumps we could eat-up!

The problem there is - would there be enough carbon-dioxide emitters left to sustain the population?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I'm sorry but hose calculations are complete nonsense, for many reasons..

The simple fact is the amount of food that is wasted daily is phenomenal. There is more than enough food to go around, if it was managed correctly.. But money and greed stand in the way.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by tkwasny

What I just read is that it is very effective in grain storage but what about when the crops are still in the fields? If its a crawling insect I can see it being put in the soil and being effective but what about flying insects? I dont think it would be effective against flying insects when the crops are still in the fields.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

reply to post by tkwasny

Wow thanks. Never heard of that before. I like to learn new things. Not sure about the above post that says to grow everything inside though. Thats a whole lot of buildings and water systems. Would put alot of people to work though but food prices would skyrocket to cover the costs of the buildings.

I bought a 50 pound bag at a local feed store (Salem, CT) and use it on the dogs (no fleas), around the house perimeter (no ants), in the garden very carefully because it'll end up killing the bees and every insect that gets tangled in the powder. MUST be "food grade" not aquarium grade. they also sell it at Agway in small bags that are overpriced. But it's better than not getting it at all.

Put it behind the walls inside the house. It never losses it's potency (it's a fossil shell) No ants, spiders, termites. It can hurt your lungs or eyes. There is an MSDS on it.
edit on 30-12-2011 by tkwasny because: Addition

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

The numbers I posted are census numbers from around the world. The census may be incorrect but my quotation of them is not.

Opps. I did quote the human population incorrectly. It is approx 7 billion not 8 billion. sorry folks.
edit on 30-12-2011 by candcantiques because: had to make a correction

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by tkwasny

Do you mix it with the soil or just sprinkle it on top of the soil?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

I am also not speaking of IF there is enough food. The topic is how can we CONTINUE to produce the same amount of food without chemicals.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
i know this likely won't be a popular position here on ats but check out this link to see how producing meat is an unbelievable waste of water and other resources.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

reply to post by tkwasny

What I just read is that it is very effective in grain storage but what about when the crops are still in the fields? If its a crawling insect I can see it being put in the soil and being effective but what about flying insects? I dont think it would be effective against flying insects when the crops are still in the fields.

It'll kill the bees if they fly in to pollinate and they get covered. It'll kill about every insect in time. They'll eat some plant until the DE cuts them up and they dry out to death.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by godWhisperer

That's an interesting site. I"ll delve a bit deeper into it later.

My initial thoughts though would be that it's only that big of waste the way we do it now. A change in the way we produce food, as in move it back to the residential areas and do it by individual city, not by nation, would solve the majority of these problems.

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

Yes we are very close. I rounded up just a little from 6,984,719,652 . I would consider anything that would keep costs down and chemicals nonexistant. I think we can all agree though, thats a lot of mouths to feed

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by tkwasny

Well I certainly would think that would be bad. We dont have many bees here in Florida as it is. I think your idea is interesting though as long as it isnt put ON the plants. Thanks for teaching me something.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

nevermind...
edit on 30/12/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

reply to post by tkwasny

Do you mix it with the soil or just sprinkle it on top of the soil?

I found an expensive duster won't work because the DE is too fine. The best thing to use is a metal quart-size strainer and you tap on it over the plants, dusting them. Once the rain washes it off the plant, your unprotected until you redust. Only takes a couple minutes using the strainer.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by godWhisperer

I am sure that you are correct however I am not a vegan myself and the water problems can be solved easily but that is not the topic of this thread and I dont want to be censored in my own thread hahahaha

top topics

<<   2 >>

join