It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Becoming a monk

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by needlenight

Greece offers many places for monastic life. Agion Oros (Mount Athos) is the most notable of such places. You can check it out if you want.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by needlenight
reply to post by charles1952

Im not exactly Christian, Catholic or anything for that matter. I believe that I have no chance on earth, to understand what God and life really is. That being said, I do think of such matters alot. I do believe both God and life is real, but in what way? I do not know.

But I once did consider becomming a priest, because I think the messages in all the religions are great. Love your fellow man, be good and kind, spread love, those are as far as I have learned the bottom line of all religions.

Budhist monks yes, I would love to live such a life, right untill the very end. Heck I would even be one of the few to take the vow of silence. But is it possible just to contact them and ask to join them? Im thinking they are a very closed of group of people.

If you think the messages in all religions are great, you just don't have a clue about what religious books contain.

Religion has been the number one killer of mankind. It teaches intolerance. It teaches bigotry. It divides. Hell, it teaches you to stone your neighbor to death for working on sunday.

Our "Christian" nation, under one God, loves starting one war after another, and bombing, raping, mutilating, and imprisoning innocent women and children in multiple countries. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Why do the religious only look at the good in their books, and ignore all the hatred?

But go ahead and cherry pick all you like. Enjoy your ignorance.
edit on 31-12-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-12-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

I'd appreciate a little help. My experience with Christianity has not been what you describe, and I'd like to find out where the difference is.

I know that some people have used religion as an excuse to go to war, but it seems like a long time since Christianity was involved in a fight. And wouldn't you think that economic and political systems (Communism, Fascism, etc.) have caused more wars and death in the last several hundred years than Christianity?

I'm not familiar with my religion teaching that anyone should be hated and I'm sorry, but I've never heard of anyone being stoned to death by Christianity for working on Sunday. Do the Muslims do that?

While I might (or might not) want to live in a "Christian nation," I don't think we do anymore. At least all branches of government are pretty much religion-free except for a few symbolic, ceremonial mentions.

I may very well be ignorant, and would be happy to learn from you, but I'm a little confused so far.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

Does all religion do all that you claim? Or are you generalizing?
I think it is more about greed and oil.

edit on 31-12-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
right now im 21, i attended a carmelite monastery when i was 19, wen i was truly convinced Catholicism was the Truth, right now im kinda confused/agnostic/catholicish, it was a good experience kinda lol, i knew that this was the truth so i wanted to go all the way, the best u can be in Catholicism is a saint, most saints were monks, so that was my goal as well, my end goal was to be a saint and the means to get there was to be a monk...luckli i stayed there for about 3 weeks, usualy people visit for 1 week the first time they go, the food was amazing, it was just woaw, i really felt peace n happyness when iwas there , i dindt have to think about work school stress the world etc. i wasnt fully prepared so they didnt invite me for a second time.. i dint pray the rosary n go to church everyday among a few other things thats why... but they told be i was a good person n the work i did was good. there are dozens of orders in Catholicism, the ones that interest me the most r cistercians and carthusians, carthusians u stay in ur cell for work n meals the whole weekday. right now im thinking about being a monk, probably catholic, my plan-b is buddhist monk i think, i dont know if iwould do it because catholicism is the truth or to escape thw world n stuff.. ive realized that at least for me, alcohol partying drugs tv video games sckool work etc its all kinda bs, it doesnt bring one true happiness and peace... i dont want to spend my life geting up each day n going to work or college, n paying bills n "enjoying" the things in the world, i want to fidn a way to "escape" or get away from these things so thats y i want to be a monk, i know that in a monastery iwill probably be more happy n stress-free, most things in this world bring temporal satisfaction its all an illusion! wen u drink alcohol or do drugs or tv or whatever, u feel good at that moment while ur doing it then its over n ur back to reality.. things in this world are a fix, we want to find hapiness, we will never find it in working each day n being a slave 2 someone or drinking or having sex etc, i want to be in a constant state of ease/peace/hapiness/etc, part of me does one want to escape this world i must admit.. i dont know if im a coward or whatever i dont care, i dont want to commit suicide i think.. one of the main reasons that stops me is a little thing called hell, i must escape this matrix or die trying, being a catholic monk u work simply, no one is telling u 2 hurry up, u pray the divine office n each sunday have time for recreation, alot of people think its boring or dumb to be a monk but i would beg to disagree,

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
all are welcome.. doesnt matter where from . the way is open to all though language may be a problem depending upon where you go in asia..

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I know what you mean man.

You might want to give being a monk some hard thinking though...personally it is too 'uniform' for me.

I don't want to be a ______(something)

I want to BE.

Zach

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

You can find monasteries all over. I have a Carmelite (catholic) Monestary not far form where i used to live. I used to drive by everyday and see brown robed monks walking the property or meditating on simple stone benches in the shade.

Monasteries are a place for people who are ready to give up this world and contemplate the hereafter or for people in need of serious spirtual healing or those who are doing some serious soul searching.

Nothing wrong with it at all.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Hey OP Bud,
Went through the exact same thing as you. Started questioning this reality/world/life at the age of 5 seeing it all isn't right and that I don't belong here. That never left me. In my early 20's had spiritual awakenings and was sooo ready to go into a Monastery.

Did the research, interviewed with a few of them. They asked me if I had been around the block a few times and really lived life. Because that is important prior to "going in" that way you know your not missing anything "in the world"

I never went cause I had so much family around me needing help, cousins needing prayers and Bible studies, friends needing wisdom, mother needing financial help with rent/food, people just needing help in general that kept me out of the monastery.

Although I still would like to join one and focus completely on the Spiritual side, and I just may do so in m later years. I've dated and almost gotten married once and that was a complete disaster, don't want to bring kids into this world because it feels like a prison to me, and yet I make a corner of my place like a solitary rest area where I can meditate, pray, etc.

For me joining the Monastery was all about reaching Union w/ God (Enlightenment). I had seen from early experiences on how to get "there." Although at the end there is no "you" to get "there", and when that's seen, then Union is realized.

Just like throughout the years I would randomly for vacation go off into the woods solo solitary style, and in this kind of atmosphere with no tv, radio, books, people, you become stripped off all your mental programming and start getting closer to the core you that exists and existed prior to all off the BS mental brainwashing that we take on from the world.

Eventually though, it was sitting home with a few days off and wrestling with the inevitable question, "Who am !" and that the thought of something is not the same as the actual physical something that led into a HUGE insight and a glimpse of God or Union w/ God. Its been these glimpses (not in a monastery) that have led me to understand that this Final Union and permanent Ego death I have always hoped for can happen anywhere when there is enough investigation, readiness, and Grace with the frameworks of one's life.

Another thing is, all your psychological deformities (trust me on this one, all of mankind has these) and all your vices/virtues are taken with you into the Monastery. Its not as much wanting to get away just from the world, but also to get away from yourself. ANd we all have a part of ourselves that has been artificially created by the world. Well this all goes with you into the Monastery and is there faced head on. Oh and its an UGLY battle. Are you ready for that?

ALso many monasteries are different/ Some bust you asss all day long with something to do every hour or so on the hour. Others are more lax. And also the same egotistical BS games that people play in the world are also played in the Monasteries.

I would recommend first staying with them for a week or two and then reconsidering and really thinking about it. Try differenyt monasterieis as well. Not just benedictine, but also Trappists, also try Zen, also try whatever else is out there.....

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Monasteries are a place for people who are ready to give up this world and contemplate the hereafter or for people in need of serious spirtual healing or those who are doing some serious soul searching.

I think that this is a misconception. While many do enter closed communities in order to contemplate spiritual matters, just as many do so in order to engage in active service within communities in need. Monastic life is not necessarily a retreat. There are many scholastic orders too, for those who wish to commit themselves to their studies. Although I have only studied female communities, the point is not to navel gaze but to gaze with the purpose of realising your purpose, some communities are very dynamic, either way, it is about a commitment to serve in the majority of the catholic communities...not about retreat or withdrawal...and certainly not to contemplate the 'hereafter', you would be surprised at just how much vim some of these brothers and sisters have. In the past, when there was a lot of money in the monasteries it was easier to get in and do your own thing, but most communities now have to earn their keep, and money earned in the West is then sent to fund projects in the third world. Certainly, from what I have learnt, if you were to join an Anglican catholic community, you can expect to be kept very active and busy in between those moments of pray and contemplation.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
WOW! It's good to read the thoughts of people who think similarly to me. I'm in Trinidad, but feel this unfulfillment like many of you do. I've researched a lot of the Buddhist religion and it sits well with me. I would really love to join a monastery, but I am not ready to do so yet. I am conflicted with my uninterest with this world, and my love for music. But, as they say, my plate is not yet clean. But, I do intend on visiting a few, maybe in Japan or Thailand. There is a lot to learn and experience.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join