It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brand new island rises from Red Sea depths

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Did a search...found nothing which I found hard to believe unless it was posted with a different thread title. If so, apologies.

A member pointed this out in one of my EQ threads so credit to Unity_99

Seems that we may witness some incredible history in our life time with regards to another land mass forming.

Maybe I'm the only one or one of a few but I find this incredible! They are still determining whether it will stick around as it is a lava flow or maybe it will break and sink but...

www.newscientist.com...

Volcanic activity in the Red Sea is causing the formation of a new island in the Zubair archipelago as lava is cooled by the surrounding seawater and solidifies. The underwater volcano responsible is located on the Red Sea Rift, where the African and Arabian tectonic plates are slowly pulling apart.

And it's growing as we speak. Broke the surface on Dec 23rd and is approx. 500 meters right now. Big enough for NASA to spot.

Yemeni fishermen first spotted lava spewing 30 metres into the air on 19 December and this was later confirmed by satellite observations. Ash plumes were detected by NASA's Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer aboard its Terra and Aqua satellites and NASA's Advanced Land Imager aboard its Earth Observing One satellite, which produced this image. Elevated levels of sulphur dioxide in the region were also recorded by the Ozone Monitoring Instrument aboard NASA's Aura satellite. By 23 December, the lava mass had broken the water's surface and the new island had begun to take shape. The island is currently around 500m wide and is still growing.

A couple of older threads with the New Continent subject as I was searching. I know this isn't a new Continent but who knows? A few million years from now?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Peace

edit on 30-12-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Since you asked: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sorry couldn't resist!!

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by jude11

Since you asked: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sorry couldn't resist!!

Damn You Puterman!

Search brought nothing at all?

Oh well...Next!

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Here is the spot where it is now (but not yet on Google Earth):

15° 9'16.57"N 42° 6'0.33"E

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frira
reply to post by jude11

Thanks for that!

How often does GE update their imagery so that we might see it?

Any idea?

Peace

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Great find!

Any chance the land sinking in Siberia is relocating to this area? [kidding. It's late.]

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by Frira
reply to post by jude11

Thanks for that!

How often does GE update their imagery so that we might see it?

Any idea?

Peace

There seems to be no pattern. I do not know how they prioritize their updates.

Hurricane Ike destruction images on Galveston Island, Texas, were up within a week or two, if I recall-- but maybe that was an overlay I downloaded.

The Texas wildfire images in Bastrop County, Texas, are up-- that was a few months ago.

Eventually, I expect Google Earth will have a sequence of the new island formation up using the "Historical Imagery" (timeline) feature.

It must be tough in balancing updates for higher resolution and current events which may be of lower resolution.

new topics

top topics

join