It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost Cosmonauts

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by facelift

You're correct.

I found a couple links I had, and one source of particular interest, that in whole, only adds to the speculative nature of what is claimed in some of the more 'fantastic' claims of cosmonauts lost in space.

First, the Wayback Machine uncovers The Lost Cosmonauts. website specifically about the Judica-Cordiglia brothers radio tracking claims of space flights in the early space race.

Interestingly, James Oberg presents extensive research

that none of the more sensational Judica-Cordiglia claims of secret discoveries were confirmed

I would urge one interested in this subject to visit JamesOberg.com and Space Age Myths and Legends. Uncovering Soviet Disasters.

Again, another link that popped up, of questionable validity, is Dead Cosmonauts. I post only for names to be used for search prompts, should any search reveal corroborating reputable sources.

As in any web research the information is only as good as its referenced sources. Some stories are true, some are myths, some are exaggerations, and some are simply made up.

Apologies to Mr. Oberg should linking his research without permission is overstepping proper etiquette or for my lack of a thorough examination to provide the most pertinent direct links. Apologies to everyone for the uncalled for emotional outburst, something I need much better control of.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Firstly, thanks for everyone that has responded to this thread, the subject is intriguing.
I know that this is 'pie in the sky' thinking, but surely now the Cold War is consigned to the history books, it would benefit both the US and Russia, as well as the ESA, if all relevant facts about past missions were shared, to make the exploration of space a lot safer, as one side would no doubt learn from another's mistakes.
I am sure that this step would actually save lives over time, but no doubt because of the ingrained thinking of those in charge of these programmes, this will never come to pass, old habits die hard as they say, and I am sure that there are likely a few old stagers that think if one of the other country's astro/cosmonauts dies in a space accident, then that is some sort of perverted 'win' for their system.
I am sure that the Soviet Union's coverup of these early deaths was purely for propoganda, but for example, if these facts were shared, then perhaps for example the three Apollo 1 astronauts would not have been in the dangerous situation of an all-oxygen atmosphere in the cabin, having learned about the dangers from elsewhere. Three lives could have been saved that day if people had been more honest.
As one race on this planet, we should all pull together to make the exploration of space safer, as in the long run it will benefit all of us, never mind political points scoring on one side or the other.
Perhaps some day some people wil see the sense of this, but I am not holding my breath!
edit on 1/1/2012 by royspeed because: spelling

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
Apologies to Mr. Oberg should linking his research without permission is overstepping proper etiquette or for my lack of a thorough examination to provide the most pertinent direct links. Apologies to everyone for the uncalled for emotional outburst, something I need much better control of.

Just the opposite, it's an indication of excellent scholarship and top-flight manners. I'm gratified that when this subject revives, as it does periodically, it's not long before a skilled and insightful contributor locates and links to my studies of the old, old myth, and offers them to the discussion group for debate.

I think my material offers unique insights into the stories and their sources.

This is the very 'space mystery' that started me on my lifelong dedication to digging into the 'inner secrets of outer space', to separate myth and misinformation from amazing mysteries. It was a serious speculative theme in the 1960s that took decades to unravel.

Kudos, illustronic. And 'spasibo'.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by royspeed
Firstly, thanks for everyone that has responded to this thread, the subject is intriguing.
I know that this is 'pie in the sky' thinking, but surely now the Cold War is consigned to the history books, it would benefit both the US and Russia, as well as the ESA, if all relevant facts about past missions were shared, to make the exploration of space a lot safer, as one side would no doubt learn from another's mistakes.

This is EXACTLY what Khrushchev wrote in his memoirs about the harmful secrecy surrounding the death of cosmonaut-trainee Bondarenko just weeks before the Gagarin mission. Spot on, royspeed, bull's eye.

Knowledge of the fiery death of that young man. whose widow I later exchanged letters with, MIGHT have pre-warned NASA enough so they could have avoided killing three Apollo astronauts in a very similar way six years later.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg

Originally posted by royspeed

This is EXACTLY what Khrushchev wrote in his memoirs about the harmful secrecy surrounding the death of cosmonaut-trainee Bondarenko just weeks before the Gagarin mission. Spot on, royspeed, bull's eye.

Knowledge of the fiery death of that young man. whose widow I later exchanged letters with, MIGHT have pre-warned NASA enough so they could have avoided killing three Apollo astronauts in a very similar way six years later.

There is also the aspect that those brave pioneers whose lives were sacrificed in the infancy of space flight...perhaps Man's most momentous endeavour...ought to be immortalised.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
There is also the aspect that those brave pioneers whose lives were sacrificed in the infancy of space flight...perhaps Man's most momentous endeavour...ought to be immortalised.

Precisely.

When Apollo astronauts left a memorial plaque in 1971
www.estatevaults.com...
the list of Russian fatalities WAS incomplete due to Soviet secrecy.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
More useful links:

** Gagarin and the ‘secret cosmonauts’

‘Phantoms of Space’ (Jim debunks the ‘secret fatalities; rumors), 1975
www.jamesoberg.com...

The ‘Ilyushin Was First’ Myth Debunked (Encyclopedia Astronautica, 1999)
www.astronautix.com...

New Book: The First Soviet Cosmonaut Team: Their Lives and Legacies
Jim’s comment: “Highly, HUGELY recommended!!!”
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241473328&sr=1-1

Jim’s statement: “Why I Don’t Believe the Judica-Cordiglia Stories”
Part 1 (2007): www.jamesoberg.com...
Part 2 (2008): www.jamesoberg.com...

Top Swedish space tracker Sven Grahn debunks Judica-Cordiglias
www.svengrahn.pp.se...

Fortean Times Article (July 2008) on ‘secret dead cosmonauts’
www.forteantimes.com...

Jim’s book chapter (1988) on ‘Dead Cosmonauts’