It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter Threatened With Lawsuit For Hosting Terrorist Accounts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Twitter Threatened With Lawsuit For Hosting Terrorist Accounts

www.dailymail.co.uk

The Israeli activist legal group Shurat HaDin has sent a letter to Twitter threatening legal action unless the site stops hosting Hezbollah Twitter accounts, and accounts for other terrorist organisations.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I don't know about this story since it comes from The Daily Mail (science section?) But, in these times it sounds pretty plausible. An activist group should understand the value of Twitter and I wish they would consider the timing of this action. We are at a critical time globally, when people are starting to speak out and take action against the thumb we are all under and the internet has been a vehicle, one we will be crippled without.

I know that this group has done good and their intentions are good but we cannot continue to allow our fear of terrorism to strip our freedoms away. Think TSA and what a mutated virus it's turned into.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I find this Ironic since Israel uses twitter to spread their lies that promote terrorism.

Counter lawsuit?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Hold up let me twitter dat.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
aside from the poster above me, who the hell uses twitter?????????????

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
U.S. Considers Combating Somali Militants’ Twitter Use

This is not the only terrorist group in the news recently that uses Twitter to pass information. Al - shabaab is another organization,which operates out of the Horn of Africa and has close ties to AQAP. Also supporters for both organizations, Hezbollah and Al - shabaab have ties here in America.

Minnesota banks just recently banned any transactions to Somalia because of the issues and terrorist networks that operate there.

Source

NAIROBI, Kenya — The United States government is increasingly concerned about the Twitter account of the Shabab militant group of Somalia, with American officials saying Monday that they were “looking closely” at the militants’ use of Twitter and the possible measures to take in response.

American officials would not disclose what action they were considering. But some American officials said the government was exploring legal options to shut down the Shabab’s new Twitter account, potentially opening a debate over the line between free speech and support for terrorism.

edit on 30-12-2011 by Daedal because: Added text

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I think there is already a thread on going regarding this very topic that was started today however it is somewhat inactive.

I personally can understand why Twitter could be facing legal action for permitting a group that on the US State Departments list of designated foreign terrorist organisations as set out under section 219 of the nationality and Immigration act. I would view this as being tantamount to adding the enemy by facilitating their communication network and providing them with a platform.

I do have to wonder however how is it possible for Twitter to verify the account of a terrorist organisation, the face behind this account could be a 14 year old kid for all Twitter knows.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

businessinsider.com

Twitter (as of that article) has 175 Million registered accounts. How many that translates into active users I don't know but that article tries to explain.

Also recent revolutions all over the world have credited social media such as twitter for the ability to instantly communicate to large numbers of people.

Twitter Revolution

top topics

join