It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sniper Detectors Coming to America's Heartland

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Sniper Detectors Coming to America's Heartland

www.foxnews.com

ShotSpotter relies on wide-area acoustic surveillance and GPS technology to triangulate the source of gunshots. Sensors are fixed to buildings and poles to provide coverage over a fixed area. With audio-analysis software, it can identify whether a shooter is stationary or moving -- meaning police officers can be equipped with information on the speed and direction of, say, a vehicle from which a shot was fired.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.shotspotter.com
www.shotspotter.com
avriormsgroup.com

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
This system is pretty amazing actually,it can verify an acoustic signature and distinguish between calibers and types of firearms. Sensors can be fixed to buildings and poles to provide coverage over a fixed area.

Looks like they are preparing for the battlefield scenario layed out in the NDAA, hopefully we won't get to that point though, but it seems the direction we are heading.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 30-12-2011 by Daedal because: Added video

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Your post is wrong when you say that they are coming.

They are already here, and I work in Emergency Management and have seen them, but they are more commonly called gunshot detectors.

They also can pinpoint the location of any noise, not just gunfire.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Scary thought - if these audio detectors are as advanced as they say what is to keep them from listening to more than gunshots?

edit on 12/30/2011 by -W1LL because: sp

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
they sure seem to be moving awfully quick on some of this stuff while telling us "Don't worry, there's nothing out of the ordinary going on here."
...and they call us paranoid...

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by THEDUDE86
Your post is wrong when you say that they are coming.

They are already here, and I work in Emergency Management and have seen them, but they are more commonly called gunshot detectors.

They also can pinpoint the location of any noise, not just gunfire.

I have to post the news as is according to subject title...In the article it does refer to them being operational in other States.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
trust it to come out now at just the right time being as the sheep are waking up politicaly, they really are scared to # of what the people will do to them, scum bag senators and bilderbergs arn't invisible anymore and its only a matter of time before americans declare open season on these trecherous wretch's

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
the civilian in me years ago would have been accepting of this new technology, but new me sees this for what it is.
if it ever came to an armed insurrection to remove the steadily increasing fascist overlords from their power, this would be but one more tool in their arsenal.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I don't know about the NDAA, but I went to one of their sales sites and found testimonials from current users in the United States. Here are a few....

“ShotSpotter, combined with proactive patrol work, reduced violent crime by 35% in 2004.” - Sgt. Karen Cordray, North Charleston, SC Police Deptartment, Crime Analysis Unit

“Since the very first installation, we’ve seen about a 75% decrease in gunfire in our jurisdiction.” - Chief Carlos G. Bolanos, Redwood City, CA Police Department

“[ShotSpotter] is like having extra patrol officers on the street.” - Mayor Robert Duffy, Rochester, NY (Democrat & Chronicle, October 2006)
Source

It seems that they claim a 10 year history of at least 29 deployed systems in the U.S..

Personally, I don't see the downside. In a place like South Chicago or the Bronx in the bad old days, it kinda makes shooting a gun a pointless effort. They might as well just call the police and wait to be arrested, if the system is deployed and used properly.

On any downsides? Well....Where is it anyone sees themselves running around shooting inside a city where it is NOT a crime...and open warfare isn't occurring? If war is the case..these systems are pointless anyway, since being chased by the local yokels is far from anyone's top concern by that point, IMO.
edit on 30-12-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

This system relies on all of its sensors for accuracy... shoot down a couple key ones of and you just killed the whole thing... It just takes 5-6 snipers at key positions wait and shoot at the same time the sensors and you wait for them to show up.

What makes me laugh is big brother's rigging himself up with the latest technology and control methods and discarding the old tactics and field war methods. Within 5 years from now they will depend so much on it that it'll be their achile's heel.... Right now as example, take down the police station transmiter/receiver and they will just run around like a bunch of headless chickens... would only take a handful of snipers in key positions to take entire police office down in the matter of hours at the most... without communication they can't call for backup... once you took over you just got yourself a nasty little armory because of course cops have military grade stuff now... which means EVERY CITY has its own little armory... I wonder what will happen when they realize that when you depend on technology to fight people that doesn't and they take down your technology your the underdog and your screwed....

They aren't hard to take down neither... they are use grey boxes hooked up to the police stations... a couple .308 rounds in their and all you have to do is cover all the exits and wait till they give up... they'll have to they don't have food supplies...

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Redwood City California is employing the technology to identify New Years Eve shooters. Not a bad idea because the falling bullets do cause damage and kill every now and then. If it helps stop drive by shooters more audio listening to them. My best and flag.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
if it ever came to an armed insurrection to remove the steadily increasing fascist overlords from their power, this would be but one more tool in their arsenal.

Another tool that could be used against them if you think about it.

I heard awhile back that if bikers want to assasinate someone, they get their mates to drive around firing shots in other areas to send police on a goose chase while it is happening.

It's like mobile phone tracking. If they want to believe someone is where their phone is, that's their loss...

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by yourmaker

Another tool that could be used against them if you think about it.

I heard awhile back that if bikers want to assasinate someone, they get their mates to drive around firing shots in other areas to send police on a goose chase while it is happening.

It's like mobile phone tracking. If they want to believe someone is where their phone is, that's their loss...
I was just thinking the same thing. Can they tell the difference between cherry bombs or fire crackers and low caliber gunshots?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
so, I walk down to your place and blast my shotgun tomorrow night !!!!
how effective is it on drive-byes?
how effective is it on a robbery where perps flee the seen?
do they end the war in Afghanistan?
will they stop violence in Mexico or are the really wanting to some good with the drug and human trafficking on the US side of the boarder...

If you take out the "new world order" paranoia,,, deployment of such devices isnt such a bad thing...

if it comes to revolution or defense of our nation, those devices really wont matter
edit on 30-12-2011 by rebellender because: composition fix

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I wonder if it has ever been deployed in combat....In a law enforcement situation it would be useful.....but for troops under sniper fire .....a mobile system would be great......something they could deploy on site

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
it reminds me of the UAV system in call of duty where a shooter fires and a red shot shows up on a minimap.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
If somebody was shooting at me or my family, I would want the police to have the ability to locate the shooter as fast as possible...

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I live in Pennsylvania in a small city of about 50,000 people, and we have had these for years. I'm not sure how effective they are as it's not reported how many people they have caught using just this technology. We do have alot of shootings for such a small city.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

But does it detect crossbows and blow darts?

We don't have the option of guns but there are other means of removing the scum of the NWO.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Shillelagh law mofo......Shillelagh law......

where ever there are rocks and stones upon this earth there will be the will and valor to throw them......

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join