It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

International Space Mapping of Lake Vostok Overridden by NSA

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2003 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider
I agree, that seismic profile is indeed intensifying, and there is some kind of pattern in it. The only thing I can figure is that they are drilling through alternating hard and soft layers of rock (I honestly think they are well below the ice). However, that is a VERY regular pattern for interbedded rock...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The only thing I can figure is that they are drilling through alternating hard and soft layers of rock (I honestly think they are well below the ice).

normaly I would agree for that is the reason and way that drilling breaks occur on every continent except for this one.
this one appears to have nothing but ice from "supposed' lake surface to atmospheric surface.
according to the report below it is 3623 meters of ice
apparently they do not even know if it is water, it could be 100,000 thousand year old Scotch Whiskey, that would account for it not being frozen.
gotta go get my 4000 meter straw and head that way

bye bye

This matter was under discussion at the 25th consultative Antarctic conference, which took place in Warsaw last week. Russia again raised the problem of resuming work suspended in 1999, when the depth of the well leading to the unique subglacial lake Vostok reached 3,623 meters. Only 130 meters remain to be drilled to reach the relic lake waters, recalled Lukin.

He said that at the preceding conference Russia tabled a project for an all-round assessment of environmental effects of penetrating into and sampling the lake waters. This project touched off an animated discussion - some conferees still fear that such penetration may trigger irreversible pollution of the waters of the lake, which has been out of contact with the atmosphere for over one million years.

The conference decided that in 2003-2004 the well will be deepened by a mere 50 meters in order to take an additional ice sample. The project participants are sure that the deepening of the well by another 50 meters will not affect the lake's environment. Russian researchers will have to work more on the project of entering the lake's waters, said Lukin.

Ice samples from the well and future study of Lake Vostok play a great role in the climatic studies of the Earth and the evolution of terrestrial life, stressed the chief of the Russian expedition. Every layer of ice carries information on what the Earth's atmosphere was like hundreds of thousands of years ago.

posted on Aug, 4 2003 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Dr. Wesley T. Huntress, Jr.
Associate Administrator for Space Science
NASA Headquarters
before the
Subcommittee on Space and Aeronautics
Committee on Science
U.S. House of Representatives

September 12, 1996

Mr. Chairman and Members of the Subcommittee:

I am glad to be here today to discuss with you the recently announced research results concerning the possibility that life existed on ancient Mars.

Thirteen thousand years ago a messenger in the form of a meteorite arrived on this planet. It arrived in a very remote part of this planet, in Antarctica, and was buried in ice. For 13 millennia it waited patiently for the human species to get out of their caves, produce a civilized society and to develop the capability to find it.

The forces of nature also played a role; the movement of ice and wind across Antarctica helped to expose this messenger. It was found in 1984 as part of an annual Antarctic meteorite collection activity sponsored by the National Science Foundation, NASA and the Smithsonian Institution. We found it, we brought it back, we opened it up, and if we are reading the message correctly it may say: "you are not alone." If it is true, that is pretty profound.etc..................

And in fact, we should not foreclose the idea that life still might exist in sheltered places on Mars. We have found compelling evidence on our own planet where life has developed and prospered in very unlikely places where we did not suspect it was possible, such as several miles below the surface of the Earth or inside rocks that happened to have liquid water and a source of chemical energy available. I suspect that there are sheltered places on Mars --on the polar caps, in the polar caps, under the surface, or in permafrost -- that contain sources of liquid water we have not yet discovered.
etc.........................

Life on Earth has been found within the deep subsurface, in hydrothermal vents on the ocean floor at temperatures as high as 118 � C (244 � F), in permafrost that has remained frozen for millions of years, beneath perennial ice covers, and inside the rocks of cold deserts. Where there has been water, there has been life. Thus, on other planets, the search for the evidence of life requires understanding the history of water and operationally becomes the search for liquid water, both past or present.etc...............

www.fas.org...

posted on Aug, 4 2003 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by tututkamen

hydrocarbons are everywhere, where there was life once.

**Tut**

You big brat. You know exactly what I was saying. I know hydrocarbons are everywhere, but not to the point that straight air blows up all around us, huh??? Now, stop picking at my words before I slap you with a frozen fish.

posted on Aug, 4 2003 @ 12:00 PM
link   
What do you make of this, DR?
aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

posted on Aug, 4 2003 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fry2
What do you make of this, DR?
aslwww.cr.usgs.gov... [/quote

There was a earthquake between antarctica and argentina

posted on Aug, 4 2003 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Indeed there was, a mag 7.5, very powerful... I wonder if it damaged anything at Lake Vostok?

posted on Aug, 4 2003 @ 12:47 PM
link   
LOL...either that or someone ran over a few seismographs......

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 4 2003 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Ahh, ok. I was thinking the same thing seeker. Had this picture in my head of a bored antarctican out there with a hammer "this ought to get me outa here *bang* *bang*

posted on Aug, 4 2003 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fry2
Ahh, ok. I was thinking the same thing seeker. Had this picture in my head of a bored antarctican out there with a hammer "this ought to get me outa here *bang* *bang*

hehe, you know I was just messin.' I will admit, when I first saw the seismograph readings though....the vivid thoughts of what I mentioned did come to mind.

That was a pretty wicked looking reading though.

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 4 2003 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I found a few interesting sites related to Lake Vostok they are at least informative and one has flash animation on Vostok:

www.earthinstitute.columbia.edu...

www.ldeo.columbia.edu...

posted on Aug, 4 2003 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I was just looking around at this Lake Vostok thing and came across a site (shown below) that mentioned that the Jet Propulsion Laboratory was to start a mission to drill using their "cryobot" and deploying a "hydrobot", I looked around trying to find if this ever took place but I couldn't find anything. Their website describes what it would do and that it would not contaminate the water as normal drilling would, but if anyone out there has found anything about what has gone down, feel free to share.

www.resa.net...-main

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 07:47 AM
link   
In 1996 NASA and JPL began this program and oi is probably one of the reasons the Russians stopped 50 meters short of punching through in last years drilling season. It is now this years drilling season and I don't
know what their up to.
Their are links to the above thoughts some where in this thread

tut tut

posted on Aug, 10 2003 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Here is a good map that shows the seismic center of the quake that may have caused a huge chunk of ice twice the size of Delaware to break away from the Ross Ice Shelf.

lantis.tv...

posted on Aug, 10 2003 @ 05:18 PM
link   
www.beyond-the-illusion.com...

I've got another link but can't find it yet.

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Did anyone consider that the vibrations werent coming from the outside?

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Well, this appears to be a rather significant update...

Today, as for the last day or so, drilling/tunnelling activity has apparently resumed in Antarctica, as reflected in the seismograph from Palmer Station Antarctica

aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

Now, what is new and interesting is that a virtually identicle seismic signature has shown up.... in New Zealand.

aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

This signature began approximately 18 hours ago in South Karori New Zealand. After a conversation with one of our resident Kiwis (Alien, big thanks!
) it appears that a good deal of construction is taking place in the area specified by USGS, including (very significantly) a large scale rock quarrying operation (actually 2-3 of them).

Therefore, we have a known cause to measure against the observed effect from USGS.

Now, if this kind of seismic signature is indicative of artificial activity, specifically large scale excavation, what exactly is going on in Antarctica?????

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 11:23 AM
link   
What about, if say, this magentic anomaly is an ancient UFO or mothership of somesort, crasjed eons ago, trapped in the ice, but the machinery still somehow functions at base level? Perhaps some heatsource from the craft has caused the ice to melt, thus forming the lake. This certainly would freak out the powers that be, and be one hell of a discovery. The ice and such.preserving the alien bodies, who knows?

This whole read is fascinating, be interesting if they discover anything under that ice....Antractica, according to many biologists and geologists, used to be located in the tropics when it was pangea, hence, all the lush plant fossils and creatures they have found there. Perhaps, maybe millions of years ago, there was an alien bio lab on it, before even humans and mammals, of some Alien race studying the life here?

All sorts of possibilities for this thing, its fascinationg. My money on Atlantis or Aliens!

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Maybe in that lake they will find the "Beast from the Abyss.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I have been of the opinion that most UFOs (at least most modern ones) are man made, based on some information I have gleaned, along with a good deal of research.

This does not preclude the presense of ancient aliens, or some alien presence even today. In the event that we are recovering any alien material, Antarctica would be the best bet, due to its large area, and ice cover which would help to seal and isolate any such finds from the rest of the world.

I still am very interested in the presence of the Piri Reis map, which proves some far ancient knowledge of Antarctica beyond a shadow of a doubt, at a time when the human race simply did not possess the technical ability to have such knowledge.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 11:53 AM
link   
There is some great information here.

www.enterprisemission.com...

home.earthlink.net...

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join