It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Omani Perspective

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Hi all. I've posted here before that I'm an American living in Oman.

If you've never heard of Oman, it is a small country on the toe of the Arabian peninsula, touching Saudi Arabia, Yemen, & the UAE.

Oman also controls the Strait of Hormuz, which has been in the news lately. Right before all this start blowing up we found out that Oman is arming itself quickly with heavy armaments from the USA, out of concern for Iran's behavior.

An Omani friend of mine recently posted this on facebook, and I thought some of you might find this interesting. To understand her comment, you need to know (if you don't) that Iranians are NOT Arabs. They are Persian by heritage, and are distrusted by the Arabs.

Please don't rip her written English - she is a native Arabic speaker. I've removed all identifiers from her postings.

I can't say I agree with her argument, but it's a very interesting perspective. It's a sad perspective on the Arab view of Americans.

Editing to show where Oman is. This map doesn't show that Oman also controls the northern tip of the UAE, which is how they have standing to control the Strait.

It's a lovely country, by the way. A peaceful, welcoming country where you can safely get a taste of the real middle east.
edit on 30-12-2011 by Schkeptick because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
My apologies in advance... because of the time difference, if there are any replies I may not see them for a few hours. It's bedtime here.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

It's a lovely country, by the way. A peaceful, welcoming country where you can safely get a taste of the real middle east.
Thanks for sharing. One of the ways we make the world a better place is making the world smaller, and more relatable, with efforts like this.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Schkeptick

I understand how she can make the connection between the US and Israel as partners in killing Muslims, but how in the world did she come up with the idea that the US and Iran are partners in that killing?

If that part of the world believes the US, Israel, and Iran are opposed to Arabs, wouldn't it be fairly easy, diplomatically, to throw Iran under the bus and form a united front against them?

What effect does religion have in insulating Iran from Arab criticism? Can we portray Iran as heretical and enrage the Arabs against them?

I'm sorry for all the questions, but my ignorance about these things is remarkable.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

I can't say I agree with the points your friend makes about the US and Iran working together.

But as my family is from the UAE - right on the Straight of Hormuz - I have to say I'm extremely concerned about the manner in which the US is handling the situation. Of course, this is currently a Cold War between the US and Iran - but it's one that could easily become a hot war.

Iran could drop its nuclear programme, but why should they? Ahmadinejad never threatened to wipe Israel off the map, he was misquoted. Iran has not attacked another nation for countless years.

On the other hand, the US is the only country to have ever dropped a nuclear weapon (in fact, two) on another country and has started so many wars in the past 100 years. Israel, meanwhile, acts like a victim but is the only country armed with nuclear weapons in the region. Not only that, but they persist in their illegal occupation and settlement building on Palestinian land, not to mention uprooting olive trees, annexing land through mini 'Berlin walls' and killing civilians on a regular basis. Now THAT'S aggressive behaviour.

The US could back off and have no reason not to. Why not focus back on North Korea or another proven aggressive nation? Or better yet, why not chill out a bit and just leave everyone alone?

It's another appalling example of ignorant, insecure, megalomaniac politicians meddling and putting a whole region at risk for the sake of saving face. They treat foreign affairs as a game of risk, the UK and France are just as bad. If its a matter of resources, well then sort out your own economy - introduce better austerity measures and seek compensation from the organisations responsible for this financial collapse.

We all should know the lies put against Iran are not true - whether it's Ahmadinejad being misquoted (or misrepresented as actually controlling Iran - when in fact power is divided between his supporters, those of the Ayatollah and the military) or exaggeration of Iranian nuclear capabilities, it's a sham. Iran will pose no threat to any other country in the region unless they feel they are forced to.

Iran may play a hand against Sunni regimes, but a US-backed study found no evidence of this. Meanwhile, the US has also been getting involved in Arab politics this year - but not against it's close allies, who remain unpunished. They backed Mubarak right until the moment they could not afford to anymore, then tried to take some sort of moral credit for his stepping down - not to mention much graver crimes.

The propaganda campaigns on both sides have been mounting in recent months and all indicators seem to point in one direction. Perhaps the two sides will resolve things, as neither can afford a war with one another, but not if neither backs down.

I'm sick of the military-industrial complex, bogus wars allowed by the US public and with Iran previously threatening to attack American interests in the Gulf if provoked militarily - now its personal. Why can't these warmongers just grow the hell up?

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

I understand how she can make the connection between the US and Israel as partners in killing Muslims, but how in the world did she come up with the idea that the US and Iran are partners in that killing?

If that part of the world believes the US, Israel, and Iran are opposed to Arabs, wouldn't it be fairly easy, diplomatically, to throw Iran under the bus and form a united front against them?

What effect does religion have in insulating Iran from Arab criticism? Can we portray Iran as heretical and enrage the Arabs against them?

I'm sorry for all the questions, but my ignorance about these things is remarkable.

I don't agree with what she said - I just can't see it. But she isn't alone in this viewpoint.

What Iran & the Arabs have in common is religion & a common hatred of Israel. But it's an uneasy peace.

The other big problem is that just like American, what Iran's people think & what Iran's government does... are two VERY different things.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by arollingstone

I can't say I agree with the points your friend makes about the US and Iran working together.

But as my family is from the UAE - right on the Straight of Hormuz - I have to say I'm extremely concerned about the manner in which the US is handling the situation. Of course, this is currently a Cold War between the US and Iran - but it's one that could easily become a hot war.

Iran could drop its nuclear programme, but why should they? Ahmadinejad never threatened to wipe Israel off the map, he was misquoted. Iran has not attacked another nation for countless years.

On the other hand, the US is the only country to have ever dropped a nuclear weapon (in fact, two) on another country and has started so many wars in the past 100 years. Israel, meanwhile, acts like a victim but is the only country armed with nuclear weapons in the region. Not only that, but they persist in their illegal occupation and settlement building on Palestinian land, not to mention uprooting olive trees, annexing land through mini 'Berlin walls' and killing civilians on a regular basis. Now THAT'S aggressive behaviour.

The US could back off and have no reason not to. Why not focus back on North Korea or another proven aggressive nation? Or better yet, why not chill out a bit and just leave everyone alone?

It's another appalling example of ignorant, insecure, megalomaniac politicians meddling and putting a whole region at risk for the sake of saving face. They treat foreign affairs as a game of risk, the UK and France are just as bad. If its a matter of resources, well then sort out your own economy - introduce better austerity measures and seek compensation from the organisations responsible for this financial collapse.

We all should know the lies put against Iran are not true - whether it's Ahmadinejad being misquoted (or misrepresented as actually controlling Iran - when in fact power is divided between his supporters, those of the Ayatollah and the military) or exaggeration of Iranian nuclear capabilities, it's a sham. Iran will pose no threat to any other country in the region unless they feel they are forced to.

Iran may play a hand against Sunni regimes, but a US-backed study found no evidence of this. Meanwhile, the US has also been getting involved in Arab politics this year - but not against it's close allies, who remain unpunished. They backed Mubarak right until the moment they could not afford to anymore, then tried to take some sort of moral credit for his stepping down - not to mention much graver crimes.

The propaganda campaigns on both sides have been mounting in recent months and all indicators seem to point in one direction. Perhaps the two sides will resolve things, as neither can afford a war with one another, but not if neither backs down.

I'm sick of the military-industrial complex, bogus wars allowed by the US public and with Iran previously threatening to attack American interests in the Gulf if provoked militarily - now its personal. Why can't these warmongers just grow the hell up?

Can you show me where Ahmadinejad was misquoted? I'm learning Arabic & what I know so far is that it is a language that has a HUGE capacity to be interpreted according to opinion. I would like to see an example, for my own curiosity, because he has been quoted so many times with this type of comment.

The propaganda against Iran has me very concerned. I feel the US is working on turning public opinion against them.

In the meantime I hope this is just posturing. The whole world will come down on Iran if they mess with the Strait. It is controlled by another sovereign nation (Oman) and isn't theirs to close. It would be like the US deciding to close a Canadian shipping port or something.

The countries here are gearing up to protect themselves against Iran. It makes me very nervous because I live here! I'm sure the UAE is doing the same. I'm also sure the Arab League is working closely on this one.

I agree 100% with your comments on meddling politicians. The USA needs to GET OUT of the middle east and quit meddling! It is appalling.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Farsi has even more room for misinterpretation! At least in Arabic, a lot of phrases can be translated literally.

He basically said the regime would stand the test of time, rather than that he wanted to use force to wipe them off the map.

Click here for more info

My Iranian friend said Ahmadinejad was saying he doesn't recognise Israel's sovereignty.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
During the blessed Prophet Muhammad's time, Persia was an independent Empire from Islamist Medina (Saudi Arabia). Despite his humble appeals to the Persian rulers to convert to Islam, they rejected him time after time, even with barbaric treatment to the messengers as well as continued raids and attacks upon the Muslim Arabs.

By the time of Caliph Umar in 642, who had enough of those raids, launched a major offensive against the Sassanid Persian Empire and won, bringing the persians, whom had long scorned Islam and arabs, into their fold.

Majority of the masses accepted the new religion from worshipping of the Fire that Zoroastism was. The elites - military and nobility, surrendered and accepted only due to personal survival. How strong is their faith was unknown, for these elites had always held themselves superior to the Arabs, who then were mainly Sunnis.

Today, we see a resurgence of the Persian empire in the body of the mortal that wear rags on his head and calls himself the leader of Iran, titular head of the Shia muslims. True Islam only seeks to worship and seek glory for our common Creator, known by many names across cultures, time and space.

Unfortunately, the Iranian leadership only seeks glory for itself, evident by its recent acts of belligerances to not only the world, its arab neighbours and the innocents there through support of terrorism, but even to their own muslim citizens whom had been either jailed or quietly murdered, shia or sunnis, for merely seeking accountability from their rulers - leaders and the military.

I would not be surprised if the iranian leader who wears rags on his head is actually a closet worshipper of the Persian Fire in secret instead of Islam, for his overt and covert actions does not give a true testimonial of what peaceful Islam is about as taught by the good prophet Muhammad. Islam has no place for public actors or public orators.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Today, it seems that there was a proposal by the rubber stamping 'parliament' to propose for the right to demand right of passage by ships sailing through international waters between Iran and Oman. If approved, it is a restriction on the free flow of tradeships on those waters, an outright act of war upon humanity, regardless of ethnicity, nationality or religion by Iran. No one possesses those waters and free passage is a right of all nations.

The Persians are acting up again. Seems like the Caliph Umar did not manage to complete his jobs of ending the Persian Empire. Many remnants, espacially those elites, only swore to the faith of Islam out of survival instincts and not from the heart. Their descendants live today and are the leaders of Persia today.

They had never fear to sacrifice themselves into the Zoroastrian Fire by tradition, the faith they believed in, just as many Jihadists had blew themselves apart misled into believing that they had died for Islam.

May the leader of Iran with rags on his head for once, honestly, remove those cloth and reveal what faith and ethnicity he truly belong to, instead of destroying the peaceful religion of Islam. His actions betrayed him.

Seems like it is up to this generation of arab muslims to complete Caliph Umar's job. May a Fatwa be issued for justice upon the Zoroastrian worshipping Persian leaders of Iran pretending to be muslims today, and spare the innocents.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

even with barbaric treatment to the messengers as well as continued raids and attacks upon the Muslim Arabs.

So , Iran i trying to kill Arabs ? Is that a divide and conquer plan of yours ? Is Hezbollah made of Arabs ?

Or you are just trying to be racist and neglect the facts that Iran is the only govt standing against Israel in the region ?

Iranian people are proud to convert to Islam despite what their empires used to do.

And Iran is the first country which stood against US and it's puppet (shah) and Iran is the first Islamic democracy dominion in Middle east.

Today, we see a resurgence of the Persian empire in the body of the mortal that wear rags on his head and calls himself the leader of Iran, titular head of the Shia muslims. True Islam only seeks to worship and seek glory for our common Creator, known by many names across cultures, time and space.

You are just a tool of your govt to make divide and conquer between Muslims and between other races in the region.

But it is OK.

You are going to fail Insha-allah.

edit on 6/1/12 by hmdphantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by hmdphantom

What racism are you alluding to? Is that another attempt to stifle my right to free speech?

No where had I cast aspersion upon the Iranian People.

It is only the leader, the one wearing rags or if you wish me to be more politically correct - headgear, who is behaving rather suspiciously, and against the tenets of Islam that had nothing to do what the good prophet Muhammad had taught. I have no respect for that persian leader over his past actions in our world and will never give him the sacred name of the Ghutrah upon his head, a respect that he does not deserves.

Me, only an insignificant nobody, divide and conquer here? Have you lost your mind and out of touch with reality?

Look out into the arab world. Do you not see muslim brother killing fellow muslim brother each other today?

Truth is often painful, but a reality we must accept inorder to find out mistakes made, correct them so that we may all progress.

Peace be unto you.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by hmdphantom
You are going to fail Insha-allah.

edit on 6/1/12 by hmdphantom because: (no reason given)

It doesnt matter if I fail ..or succeed. I am only an insignificant nobody.

What matters is that the Iranian common Muslim people and Muslims worldwide cannot fail. Enough of Jihadism. Too many innocents had been lost. It must stop. Regardless of what religion or ethnicity we come from, we are all humans, blood and love the same, and have only common asipirations in life. Every human life is precious and means something special to another called love, a divine gift by our common Creator.

Why should ONE leader, a closet persian infidel at that, through his unholy command, be allowed to subject millions of Iranian Muslims, Muslims worldwide, and Mankind to oppresion, repression, terrorism and the brink of war if not war itself soon?

May free will prevail, to follow the right path as taught by our divine teachers from our common Creator, known by many names across culture, time and space, who gave us life, love and free will, and loves us all.
edit on 6-1-2012 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

What racism are you alluding to?

Putting Iranian empire against the Muslim Arabs sounds very racism to me.

Then calling the Iranian empire barbaric is the continuation of that path.

Look out into the arab world. Do you not see muslim brother killing fellow muslim brother each other today?

They are doing so because they are being manipulated. But it is clear who is manipulating them and what is the manipulation for. It is for safety and victory of Israel .

I have no respect for that persian leader over his past actions in our world and will never give him the sacred name of the Ghutrah upon his head, a respect that he does not deserves.

So , what are those actions ?

Regardless of what religion or ethnicity we come from, we are all humans, blood and love the same, and have only common asipirations in life. Every human life is precious and means something special to another called love, a divine gift by our common Creator.

But I see some people specially in your govt don't think the same. Look at Iraq , Afghanistan , Hiroshima , Nagasaki , Vietnam and other countries history.

See how your govt used to help and spread mass killing. How it is backing Israel in Middle East.

Why should ONE leader, a closet persian infidel at that, through his unholy command, be allowed to subject millions of Iranian Muslims, Muslims worldwide, and Mankind to oppresion, repression, terrorism and the brink of war if not war itself soon?

Why ?

You don't really know ?

AND FIGHT IN THE WAY OF ALLAH WITH THOSE WHO FIGHT WITH YOU, AND DO NOT EXCEED THE LIMITS, BECAUSE ALLAH DOES NOT LOVE THOSE WHO EXCEED THE LIMITS.
وَ اقْتُلُوهُمْ حَیْثُ ثَقِفْتُمُوهُمْ وَ أَخْرِجُوهُمْ مِنْ حَیْثُ أَخْرَجُوکُمْ وَ الْفِتْنَةُ أَشَدُّ مِنَ الْقَتْلِ وَ لا تُقاتِلُوهُمْ عِنْدَ الْمَسْجِدِ الْحَرامِ حَتّى یُقاتِلُوکُمْ فیهِ فَإِنْ قاتَلُوکُمْ فَاقْتُلُوهُمْ کَذالِکَ جَزاءُ الْکافِرینَ (191)
KILL THEM (THE IDOLATERS WHO AVOID NOT ANY CRIME) WHEREVER YOU FIND THEM; AND EXPEL THEM FROM WHERE THEY EXPELLED YOU. (FROM MECCA) TUMULT IS WORSE THAN SLAYING. AND DO NOT FIGHT WITH THEM AT THE SACRED MOSQUE, UNTIL THEY FIGHT WITH YOU IN IT. IF THEY FIGHT YOU (WITHIN THE PRECINCTS OF THE SACRED MOSQUE) THEN KILL THEM. SUCH IS THE RECOMPENSE OF THE UNBELIEVERS.
فَإِنِ انْتَهَوْا فَإِنَّ اللّهَ غَفُورٌ رَحیمٌ (192)
BUT IF THEY CEASED, ALLAH IS ALL-FORGIVING, THE COMPASSIONATE
وَ قاتِلُوهُمْ حَتّى لا تَکُونَ فِتْنَةٌ وَ یَکُونَ الدِّینُ لِلّهِ فَإِنِ انْتَهَوْا فَلا عُدْوانَ إِلاّ عَلَى الظّالِمینَ (193)
AND FIGHT THEM ON, UNTIL THERE BE NO MORE TUMULT, (IDOLATERY AND INVASION TO PEOPLE'S FREEDOM) AND THAT ALLAH'S RELIGION REIGNS SUPREME. THEN IF THEY CEASE (FIRE), FIGHT NONE BUT THE EVIL-DOERS.

2-190:193

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by hmdphantom
Putting Iranian empire against the Muslim Arabs sounds very racism to me.
Then calling the Iranian empire barbaric is the continuation of that path.

They are doing so because they are being manipulated. But it is clear who is manipulating them and what is the manipulation for. It is for safety and victory of Israel .

So , what are those actions ?
But I see some people specially in your govt don't think the same. Look at Iraq , Afghanistan , Hiroshima , Nagasaki , Vietnam and other countries history.

See how your govt used to help and spread mass killing. How it is backing Israel in Middle East.
Why ?

You don't really know ?

AND FIGHT IN THE WAY OF ALLAH WITH THOSE WHO FIGHT WITH YOU, AND DO NOT EXCEED THE LIMITS, BECAUSE ALLAH DOES NOT LOVE THOSE WHO EXCEED THE LIMITS........

1. Read my posts again. Nowhere did I pit the current Iran against the Muslim Arabs. Falsifying what is written is clearly a sin by you, not against the insignificant nobody me, but against Allah who is never happy with falsehoods.

The ancient Persian empire was most certainly barbaric, so much that Caliph Umar had to destroy it, and did it in only 2 years. Unfortunately, not all persian infidels was wiped out,and had been hiding till today.

I only pit that clothed headgeared closet Persian infidel against genuine Muslim Arabs and all muslims in our world. It is not the clothes or the public piety, or mouthed words that defines a true Muslim. It is one's actions from his heart, and that persian infidel's action is plain for all to see clearly today.

2. Are you claiming Israel is manipulating Arab Muslims? Are you out of your mind? You think muslims will be so easily swayed by the mere words from Israel? No. The one whom had been manipulating muslim brother to kill innocent muslim brothers and mankind is closer at head, misusing Islam just as the Jihadists had been doing all along.

Seek the truth, painful as it is, than to live in delusion, and watch even more millions die.

3. The actions of that persian infidel are numerous, but I will not supply them to you. If you truly seek to know, find it out on your own, objectively, and only then, will you treasure such knowledge. Anything else freely granted by me here will only be air that flows through your ears.

4. Every gov and nation on Earth had been involved in mass killings at one point or another in the course of civilisation such as genocide and wars. But each time it happens, mankind learnt from its mistakes and sought to avoid such wars whenever possible.

It is senseless to dredge up the past issues to determine who had been right or wrong, for there will be no end to it and would need to go back thousands of years to which human carried out the first murder. And it will never solve any problem except to bring up blind hatred that will only cloud discourse and judgement to find solutions.

5. I am glad you brought out Koran 2-190:93. It ENTIRELY SUPPORTS the evidence of what that persian infidel is doing to the world, showing himself finally who he really is and stands upon. It is not Islam he supports, but his satanic pagan persian cult of killing innocents.

"AND FIGHT IN THE WAY OF ALLAH WITH THOSE WHO FIGHT WITH YOU, AND DO NOT EXCEED THE LIMITS, BECAUSE ALLAH DOES NOT LOVE THOSE WHO EXCEED THE LIMITS"

Just that first line, spoken by Allah, is good enough to prove the radicals' Jihadism / terrorism wrong.

Did the innocents fight with you when they were bombed to bits - muslims and mankind?
Who are the infidels? People of the book - muslims, jews, christains, etc or clear evident satanic cult worshippers who deny the existence of our common Creator, turning mankind including atheists( whom are only children of our Creator too whom are yet to know Him) with radicalised and twisted teachings?

I know that the insignificant me alone will not be able to convince you. All that I seek and hope for is that you would take some time to calm down, re-read the scriptures again and again, and acknowledge Allah in your heart. He lives inside of you, just as he lives in all mankind.

Peace be unto you.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

I just don't know where to start to send my reply.

And I am far from saying that my vision of truth is the best view.

I have had a very buy day and I am dying sleepy.

I should tell you that there are misunderstandings and mis-information about things I know about history of my country and history of Islam that should be cleared for you.

And it won't be solved in one or two lines.

So , I think we should have some more interaction to get to know each other's points of view.

I think we should give each other some time.

+ We are not paid by anyone and we don't like to insist on our ideas.

Peace be upon you.
hmdphantom.

top topics

join