It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia GOP Will Require Voters To Sign ‘Loyalty Oath’

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Virginia is a GOP stronghold- historically, anyway.

They went blue in 2008, and thus the state GOP is very very nervous.

Before this, VA had not voted for the Dems since Johnson.

This 'oath' is a direct result of the instability and nervousness that the local GOP felt after the state went for Obama in 2008.

Totally unenforceable, but a token of their commitment to return the state to the GOP this election cycle.

I doubt that they will have the votes, however, as previously apathetic voters are now turning out in droves.

Numbers are never good for the GOP, since the 'unwashed masses' usually vote Democrat.

Interesting sign of their perceived weakness.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by shushu
reply to post by primus2012

With today's technology they can now look over your shoulder any time they want... so COVERTLY... they can indeed enforce that oath... and will not hesitate to do so if they so desire.
edit on 31-12-2011 by shushu because: (no reason given)

Who will be looking? And how will they be enforcing? It's not a government agency. Government agencies will be counting the presidential election votes and they won't be voiding any Democratic votes of those that swore to vote Republican.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

It says in the article that this is not enforceable anyway. Just like I said. You can sign but once in the voting booth come November you can vote for whom ever you want.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

Then why even bother signing??? This isn't a marriage... "until death us do part."

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

In VA yes, you don't have to be registered to a certain party to vote.

In many other states you do. A primary is a party vote...you can't vote for an independent in a primary...well you can...but it wouldn't count. The Party decides who is on the ballot...at Caucuses where you write a name down, the party decides which names they are going to count...all others are thrown out.

This is a party vote...just like if you belong to a club and you are voting who will be president of that club...it has nothing to do with the government.

So having them sign this, although unenforcable, is not taking anyones rights away.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Obama is also the sitting Apocalyptic President. He has expanded our wars into Libya, Syria, and Iran

I do believe these were the actions of NATO. Not Barry acting all on his own just because...
edit on 31-12-2011 by karen61057 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

Hey America ...You do realize the rest of the world is watching and taking notes for future study as how not to do politics don't you ...Kind of funny and sad at the same time ...peace

What is even more funny is that if we don't get it right this time around I think your going to see a lot of ex-pats in your neck of the woods. Now that is funny.
edit on 31-12-2011 by hooberson3 because: forgot quote

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

In VA yes, you don't have to be registered to a certain party to vote.

In many other states you do. A primary is a party vote...you can't vote for an independent in a primary...well you can...but it wouldn't count. The Party decides who is on the ballot...at Caucuses where you write a name down, the party decides which names they are going to count...all others are thrown out.

This is a party vote...just like if you belong to a club and you are voting who will be president of that club...it has nothing to do with the government.

So having them sign this, although unenforcable, is not taking anyones rights away.

Thanks for giving us the necessary information needed to understand what the issue really is here. It's a primary.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by openminded2011
reply to post by mrnotobc

If RP runs as an independent, it could split the vote, most likely in Obama's favor. Ralph Nader made the election close enough for Bush to "win" the election (if you subscribe to the myth that he actually won)

Which I dont subscribe to. Dont get me started. I still get steam coming out of my ears when I think of that bought election. Not that Gore was going to be another Clinton but still...

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
What happens if people break the oath? Will they become a political prisoner?

More like HOSTAGE.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

With today's technology they can now look over your shoulder any time they want... so COVERTLY... they can indeed enforce that oath... and will not hesitate to do so if they so desire.

LOL. And just what do you believe they would do to enforce this? What would be a fit penalty to the oath breaker? And will not hesitate to do so. Ha ha ha. They're going to take away my voter registeration card? Not likely. They will arrest me for lying? nope. Take my first born child? He's already married and living on his own. If his wife is ok with it go for it.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

LOL. And just what do you believe they would do to enforce this? What would be a fit penalty to the oath breaker? And will not hesitate to do so. Ha ha ha. They're going to take away my voter registeration card? Not likely. They will arrest me for lying? nope. Take my first born child? He's already married and living on his own. If his wife is ok with it go for it.

Ever been black-balled??? Blacklisted???

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP

Originally posted by Schkeptick
They're trying to keep Democrats from switching over just for the primaries.

It's funny, because it is an indicator that Ron Paul is drawing attention from both parties.

But who cares about a dumb oath??
It wouldn't keep me from doing what I wanted. Sheesh.

No the Obama people want to help Ron Paul so their man Obama can slay the racist in a hands down easy victory.
Why do Paul fans want phoney Obama voters? They won't be there to elect their guy if fantasyland happens and he makes the general election. Paul fanatics only care about the moment, and any vote they can get for that moment.

Do your research! RP is not a racist. You're just another sheeple making love to the MSM...!

And by the way..."Those who address race the most, are usually the most racist".
-M.Veronikas

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Typical of the GOP. Next thing you know they will want to be "all up your uterus", screaming less government the whole time. Sarcasm intended. I voted republican for 30years and I am now disgusted with their hypocrisy and vaguely familiar Nazi like tactics.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
If I were in Virginia, sure, I'd sign the oath. Then, if I didn't like the nominee I would vote for whomever I chose. The oath isn't under any penalty of law, so who cares? They break their oaths all the time, and those oaths ARE legal. F' em, play their little game.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Here is the issue
Are Ron Paul supporters transferable?
www.nationaljournal.com...

So what does Virginia do?

Virginia GOP Will Require Voters To Sign ‘Loyalty Oath’

On Wednesday the Virginia State Board of Elections approved a request from the Virginia GOP that will require voters to sign a loyalty oath in order to participate in the state’s presidential primary on March 6.

The oath, which reads “I, the undersigned, pledge that I intend to support the nominee of the Republican party for president,” is intended to deter non-Republicans from participating in the process unless they are serious about supporting the eventual GOP candidate.

abcnews.go.com...

This is some SERIOUS BS!

Voting for a party instead of individuals is EXACTLY what is wrong with this country, and they want make sure people are FORCED to do so????

This MUST be contested from every angle possible

Something must be done, this is just so completely wrong on every level of everything!

ARGHHHHH

edit on Fri Dec 30 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: edited to use source title

The Democrat Party has employed this as standard operating procedure for some time. Any Democrat who does not support Dem candidates, bills, votes, whatever - is susceptible to being booted out of the Dem party.

This is just the Repubs finally catching up. Btw - it wont matter, Ron Paul will take Virginia and Iowa, and he'll come in a close 2nd in NH. They are afraid... very very afriad.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Algernonsmouse

...but not Israel? He is going to keep the current foreign policy stance on Israel?

I am so confused.

No, you're right. He wants to stop sending money to Israel, and he wants to stop dictating Israel's foreign policy, and just let them handle their own business in the Middle East. They are more than capable of handling things over their. They will still be our ally, and we will still step up to defend them if it is absolutely necessary.

The current policy is to flood them with our money, and also dictate to them how they should react to threats. Both of those things will end under Ron Paul, but that doesn't make him anti-Israel, it just puts him in the same mindset as Netanyahu and most of Israel, which is the mindset of "butt-out" of their affairs.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

On what grounds, and on what punishment, would there be on no listening to this oath?

It seems like a scare tactic that really doesn't do anything in the long run.

Watch a bunch of people totally ignore it.
edit on 31-12-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Virginia is one of the FEW States where their Electoral Vote from their Electoral College person voting for the President....can vote for who ever he wants.

Wow.....whoda thunk? Virginia used to have some free voters.

www.archives.gov...

America is a Republic, we ain't a Democracy. We only have a "preception" of Democracy.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

On what grounds, and on what punishment, would there be on no listening to this oath?

It seems like a scare tactic that really doesn't do anything in the long run.

Watch a bunch of people totally ignore it.
edit on 31-12-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

OMG, they could threaten to kick u out of the republican party!! , and stop sending you newsletters. I guess I could live if they stopped sending me junk mail asking for more money.

If Ron Paul wins the election, he should immediately start a new party, because of the way the republican national has treated him. It might start a big movement, and in a few elections win back the country from the globalists by getting rid of the establishment take you pick/dem/repub, and elect a Ron Paul style Constitution party people to run congress.

Next after completely taking over the white house and congress, we'll get honest judges, and sue the globalists,out of the federal debt. Next we tell China, sorry we don't own that debt anymore, you need to talk to those guys.

And then right when everythings going good, here comes Jesus and he takes me away to heaven where I live happly ever after, but most of you guys end up going to heellll.
edit on 31-12-2011 by mrnotobc because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join