It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia GOP Will Require Voters To Sign ‘Loyalty Oath’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Here is the issue
Are Ron Paul supporters transferable?
www.nationaljournal.com...

So what does Virginia do?

Virginia GOP Will Require Voters To Sign ‘Loyalty Oath’

On Wednesday the Virginia State Board of Elections approved a request from the Virginia GOP that will require voters to sign a loyalty oath in order to participate in the state’s presidential primary on March 6.

The oath, which reads “I, the undersigned, pledge that I intend to support the nominee of the Republican party for president,” is intended to deter non-Republicans from participating in the process unless they are serious about supporting the eventual GOP candidate.

abcnews.go.com...

This is some SERIOUS BS!

Voting for a party instead of individuals is EXACTLY what is wrong with this country, and they want make sure people are FORCED to do so????

This MUST be contested from every angle possible

Something must be done, this is just so completely wrong on every level of everything!

ARGHHHHH

edit on Fri Dec 30 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: edited to use source title

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
idk, i don't think this will stop anyone who really support ron paul. Oaths have no real existence, just in the minds of men. They're broken all the time. Still low of the GOP though. The more we move forward it begins to become obvious who the real enemy is.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
What happens if people break the oath? Will they become a political prisoner?

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Votes are anonymous right?

If someone signed this, and then voted however they wanted, there is no way to hold them accountable, so what difference does it make?

Also, if the Primary is funded by the Republican Party, and they want to limit who participates then fine. BUT, if the primary is funded by Virginia Taxpayers, then the GOP has no right to determine who does or doesn't participate!!

This is disgusting, and it is just more proof that we really don't have any rights, and our votes really don't count for much.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
They're trying to keep Democrats from switching over just for the primaries.

It's funny, because it is an indicator that Ron Paul is drawing attention from both parties.

But who cares about a dumb oath??
It wouldn't keep me from doing what I wanted. Sheesh.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
A Loyalty Oath?
I'm thinking this is seriously unconstitutional and it would easily be destroyed in a courtroom. At least .. it SHOULD be easily destroyed in a courtroom. This is insane ... batcrap crazy.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Hey America ...You do realize the rest of the world is watching and taking notes for future study as how not to do politics don't you ...Kind of funny and sad at the same time ...peace

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
isn't this against some basic constitutional right to vote? it's a pretty abstract idea to just impose a "loyalty oath" in an election...for what purpose? what events inspired this decision?

voting doesn't need to be that complicated. there's GOT to be some basic passage of law or something that would nullify this nonsensical bulljive.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
This truly shows the republicans are more concerned in stopping Ron Paul than winning the presidential election.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schkeptick

It's funny, because it is an indicator that Ron Paul is drawing attention from both parties.

No the Obama people want to help Ron Paul so their man Obama can slay the racist in a hands down easy victory.
Why do Paul fans want phoney Obama voters? They won't be there to elect their guy if fantasyland happens and he makes the general election. Paul fanatics only care about the moment, and any vote they can get for that moment.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
The oath is meaningless anyway. There's no way it can be even tracked. But it might sway people.

Here, I can't vote in the primaries at all because I'm not registered with a party. I can understand a party not wanting the other party to determine their candidate, but making people sign oaths to the party? No. Sorry. That's clearly voter intimidation.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP

No the Obama people want to help Ron Paul so their man Obama can slay the racist in a hands down easy victory.
Why do Paul fans want phoney Obama voters? They won't be there to elect their guy if fantasyland happens and he makes the general election. Paul fanatics only care about the moment, and any vote they can get for that moment.

I think what you're saying is BS. If that tactic actually worked, they would have participated in past primaries to try to nominate the dumbest guy in the GOP party to go up against their Democratic nominee. This is the first time I've heard of Democrats and Independents going for a GOP candidate in so many numbers. I suppose that it's not impossible, but quite improbable. I haven't seen any group large enough organize to bring that to fruition in order to help the Democrats win. Besides,... Ron Paul would wipe the floor with Obama in a debate. If they were going for someone who could never win against Obama, they would have supported Rick Perry or Newt.
edit on 30-12-2011 by 2manyquestions because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP

From the hate in all of your posts, I can only assume, if Ron Paul does win in2012. You'll just fall over in a massive stroke....chill out a little. Hate is bad for your health.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
People who are claiming this is against their "rights"....you have to remember this isn't a Government election. It is a party election that is overseen by the government.

Being part of a party is like being part of a club...if you want to belong, you play by their rules. You already have to be registered as a Republican to vote in the Republican primary...this is just another rule to follow.

You don't have to like it...but it isn't against your rights nor is it "unconstituional".

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

According to the article, Virginia is an open state. Everyone votes in their primaries. Some states are like that.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

From the hate in all of your posts, I can only assume, if Ron Paul does win in2012. You'll just fall over in a massive stroke....chill out a little. Hate is bad for your health.

Oh no hate.
When RP loses you will see what hate really is.
If RP wins as hell freezes over, I would just sit back and enjoy the show as all of the sheep's hopes and dreams are flushed down the proverbial toilet one by one by a predictable do nothing President based on his do nothing lifelong record in Congress.

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TinfoilTP

Don't you realize?????

"Do nothing" is a vast IMPROVEMENT!!! Far superior to doing the WRONG thing!

So, if Paul is elected, and only accomplishes deadlock and in-fighting, then I'll consider that a WIN! I'll be happy with 4 years of vetoes and government accomplishing absolutely nothing. In fact, if someone ran on that campaign platform alone, I would vote for them.

We need a whole class of Representatives to say, "Send me to Washington, I promise to not do a damn thing, and stand in the way of anybody else trying to do anything." That would help the country tremendously!

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

political parties are private organizations, not a part of the government and therefore get to make their own rules, no matter how stupid.

i agree it is BS but it is up to republicans to solve this not anyone else. sucks

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Wrong? -Oh heck yes!
Enforceable? -Nope.... at least not in any way I can imagine at the moment.

I can't wait to see the shenanigans the establishment bring out if Ron Paul pulls off a victory. I imagine they'll get pretty creative.
Viva La Revolution!

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by TinfoilTP

Don't you realize?????

"Do nothing" is a vast IMPROVEMENT!!! Far superior to doing the WRONG thing!

So, if Paul is elected, and only accomplishes deadlock and in-fighting, then I'll consider that a WIN! I'll be happy with 4 years of vetoes and government accomplishing absolutely nothing. In fact, if someone ran on that campaign platform alone, I would vote for them.

We need a whole class of Representatives to say, "Send me to Washington, I promise to not do a damn thing, and stand in the way of anybody else trying to do anything." That would help the country tremendously!

Ya, as the price of gas hits ten dollars a gallon from Iran blockading the the Straits of Hormuz and blackmailing the world to get a trickle of oil out, you will be saying how you love a do nothing President. Just one example shows how ludicrous do nothing would be.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join