It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What type of SHTF are you expecting?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Other than global economic collapse, I'm not really expecting the SHTF scenario in my community - we've been economically collapsed so long down here it's just going to be a belt tightening.
I'd like to have a couple barrels of unleaded gas, diesel, kerosene and maybe an extra 250g. propane tank just in case.

ganjoa

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I am just making sure that I have enough for me to get by for a set amount of time, I do use the supplies regularly, I just resuppy as needed. I do think we could have several things that could happen, but its never what you plan for...lol

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Having watched events unfold over the last decade, I'm becoming more and more certain we are teetering on the edge of an abyss, and its only going to take a little push to start a chain of events that will be self reinforcing and without some sort of extreme luck will probably put an end to life as most know it today. Here's what i see happening in the near future:

1. a black swan event like an unanticipated war with north korea or Iran where either the Chinese or Russians, or both support them vs the west, or perhaps a major catastrophe such as a solar flare disrupting communications and the power grid, a pandemic such as mutated or weaponized bird flu.

2. anything like the above will almost certainly be the tipping point in which the western economies collapse, and this collapse will dwarf the great depression in both scope and scale.

3. the economic collapse will be rapidly followed by a total breakdown in supply chains of fuel, which in turn will destroy the ability to both transport and produce food and maintain critical infrastructure. the USA will be especially hard hit due to our abandonment of the railways in favor of refrigerated 18 wheeler transport. any food that makes it to market will not be enough, and so overpriced that no one can afford it anyways.

and that is the point when events turn into something out of a nightmare, massive riots, police and military unable to keep order and abandoning the major cities as they are burned to the ground, followed by a mass exodus of starving hordes numbering in the millions that will loot,rape, murder their way through the suburbs and finally into the rural areas, rumors of cannibalism will spread like wildfire as food stocks vanish and a shoot first, ask questions later mentality becomes the new law of the land.

and the final nail in the coffin will be a total meltdown of hundreds of nuclear plants in the northern hemisphere as the workers fail to show because they have either fled or attempted to defend their homes and families from the starving mobs, even those survivalists who hid out in the far reaches of the countryside and prepped with their stash of food, weapons, gold etc will find out none of that matters as radiation poisons the entire ecosystem. the horrors that will take place will make the worst of the dark ages seem trivial by comparison, the whole of western civilization will vanish in the space of a year.

the human race will survive all of this, in very small groups in places like south America, New Zealand, certain parts of Africa, but what emerges from that, and on what sort of timeline is anybodies guess.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

I'm expecting nature to start throwing diahhrea as hard as it can against the fan, breaking the fan all together.

Im prepping, but mainly because I have a passion for Bushcraft and knowing how to live off the land, Nature has decided its had enough and I dont think there is really anything we can do about it anymore.

If I am honest, I think I also like the idea of being able to protect and feed my loved ones when people start to go crazy from not being able to live their corporation dependant lives.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Econ depression> currency collapse> false flag/terror attack> martial law >ltd civil war > surprise (pre-emptive doctrine) nuclear attack on us by russian and chinese forces when they think that we are weakest; it will be containted at approx 100M casaulties (30M dead) as they dont want to destroy the land mass just take us down. The EMP blasts alone will cut power to millions exacerbating the death toll. The UN will broker peace and send in their peacekeeping troops who will be mostly european. Out of the ashes of war (yes we will retaliate) with approx 1/3 of the people on this planet killed there will arise a phoenix representing a new world order.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Count Chocula

I'm preparing for an economic collapse, and our endgame is the same; Nuclear meltdown.

I live about 15 miles from a pretty large reactor site, and a meltdown is my biggest fear aside from a SHTF-style event.

I'm trying to figure out where to go when SHTF, because getting out of the fallout zone is going to be my biggest priority.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
What am I expecting? Well, at this moment it could really be any of the horrible things that people have been bringing up time and time again.

How am I prepping? I, myself, have begun really looking into the bugging out option where-as the rest of my family hasn't really taken it much seriously. A lot of "should" instead of "do". We live on a horse farm but we could easily hunt for food, if need be. We have a food stove. We have ways around things but they won't last forever.

If things go down and I need to bug out, so be it.. but unless something turbo major happens, we're bugging in.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
If you are serious, then you should begin by preparing damage and loss of utilities due to weather.

from there, you need to prepare to prevent a fire in your home.

Your odds are 1 in 150 that you'll experience a devastating loss of everything your own in a homefire sometime in your life.

While it's not as sexy as preparing for a civilization-ending economic collapse, the threats above are far more immanent
edit on 31-12-2011 by tovenar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

I have and I am prepped for loss of power and water for several days...weeks. I grew up where its not uncommon to lose power for 5 days at a time in winter or if you have a bad storm. I have sledded off of roof tops of garages and built snow caves, Plus I have slept and lived under the hot northern african sun. It all depends on the area your in, as to how and what you prep.
I know that as long as you prep for the most likely to the least likely...you'll find many items are very versital in all situations that you'll find yourself in. Fire, tornado, hurricane, flood, power outage from a storm, be it snow, rain, ice. Having food and water...and a heating source at times will go a long way to help you survive most isolated SHTF.
It wasn't a SHTF so to speak, but a while back, we lost power in town. I was having a drink at a bar, I walked home and grabbed a lantern, because the town was completely blacked out. I went back to the bar and had my lantern on...it was the only light in town, coming from a buisness... the coolers were not running and they were going to close. When everyone started to filter into the bar, because of the light, over the next few hours, he was able to stay open and sold more drinks that night, than he had in quite awhile. It was my lantern, so he let me drink for free...the power was out throughout the night, and it finally came back on at about 5am... and he even gave me a free meal a couple days later when I went back for a drink and to watch the game.
Its not always a SHTF that makes you need the supplies you have, but sometimes its just the neighborly thing to do...or the right thing, or a nice thing for someone else.

edit on 31-12-2011 by saltdog because: spelling

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I prepared for a Zombie Apocalypse which covers pretty much everything except a asteroid hitting.

Better hurry folks only 12 months and less til Z-Day!
edit on 2-1-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join