It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Unveils Ambitious Plan for Space Exploration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I just came across this today and thought it was an enjoyable read, I'm confident many of you might find this interesting too.

I know many of us can't stand CNN but I found this story to be fairly non biased and had some interesting information.

China is many years away from fully enacting this program so it shall be fun to watch develop.

Some might say this is a provocation, I say it's just show boating. This really isn't much to get bent out of shape about

(CNN) -- China plans to put laboratories in space, collect samples from the moon and prepare to build space stations over the next five years, according to an ambitious plan released this week aimed at putting the country on the global map for space exploration.

China also plans to launch manned-vessels and freighters into space during the coming half-decade, according to a government white paper. The country's eventual goal in the longer term is a manned lunar landing.

"With economic progress, also comes the need for scientific development and exploration," said Jiao Weixin, a professor at the School of Earth and Space Sciences at Beijing University. "By investing in space exploration, China wants to contribute and be a major player in the world on more than one level."

www.cnn.com...

I wonder if this will cause NASA and friends to reconsider their recent lack of activity.
edit on Fri Dec 30 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I consider this very hopeful myself. Watching China with their fledging program is as exciting as I imagine it was for the kids watching Kennedy announce a Man on the Moon was GOING to happen in the near future.

I think the U.S. and Russia have picked the low hanging fruit for the easy and safe accomplishments and NASA, at least, seems content to just about stop right here. After this point, men die and tragedy follows...from time to time. China is capable of absorbing some heart wrenching tragedys of space accidents or malfunctions and press on with barely a hestitation to their step.

Thats what we NEED to move outside Earth Orbit and the Moon. It's what I don't see America capable of stomaching and I'd even expect Americans to cry about safety and demand reforms to China's program when those inevtiable growing pains happen...but China will GET US to Mars or beyond while NASA is still bidding contracts for who may merely design something that COULD make the trip.

I hope the Founding Fathers are busy looking elsewhere for things to be mad about as I say GO CHINA! err.. uhh.. wow..did I really say that?

edit on 30-12-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Wouldn't it be hilarious if they did do a maned mission to the moon and replaced the American flag with a Chinese one (if it is actually there....
). Or just stake one beside it,but bigger.

Good for them, at least someone is putting in the effort for serious space exploration...too bad it's on the backs of the people......

Also, I think it's a bit naive to think that the US hasn't militarized aspects of their space program in the past. It would be foolish not to in this day and age unfortunately.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Very interesting points

Never thought I would see the day where you would cheer China

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Vardoger

Wouldn't it be hilarious if they did do a maned mission to the moon and replaced the American flag with a Chinese one (if it is actually there....). Or just stake one beside it,but bigger.

Now you're asking for trouble

JK, I think it would be funny too. What if, there was no American flag on the Moon, that would raise a lot of questions.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

new topics

top topics

join