It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why we even consider 2012 & The End Of The World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
CGPGrey on 2012!

Great video that sums it up perfectly. The History/Discovery channels continue to run 2012 documentaries all too often. They always end in a question to the viewers, what will happen in 2012? We would not search for the answer, if the question was not fed to us non stop.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The amount of Nostradamus # that is on that channel drives me nuts EVERY NIGHT

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Cyprex

@Why we even consider 2012 & The End Of The World
CONSCIOUS OVERLOADING OF THE COLLECTIVE RESULTING IN FEAR BASED OUTCOME???! Get the minds thinking then it happens.
edit on 12/30/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
If you speak to a mayan scholar they laugh at the end of the world prophecies.
It takes all of 2 minutes to figure this is all a sham.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
You have two way to see it. The end in a fatalistic kind of mind thinking (which is the negative side of it). Or, you can see it as a new beginning, a new era starting with plenty of possibilities and hopefully (if it will), a revelation of who we really are and what is our place in this universe (which is the positive side of the 2012 'omg' mania).

A coin always has two side, remember this, it is important,

Thruthseek3r

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
HAHA! That was Awesome...Although I do believe we are still headed for a re-kick in the next few years. But I think we could use one given the current state of things. This doesn't have to be world ending change but neither were WWI or WWII but they did change the world. I just hope if we do have a world changing event it is not to painful LOL

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Well Ive planned to get married the day after the end of the world (sort of...) on 22.12.2012

So if anyone is in Australia on that date, you are welcome to attend.

LOL

Cheers

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Do you think the Mayans predicted how stupid they'd look when December 2012 doesn't happen, it's all a lot of scaremongering, don't get me wrong I enjoy discussing it, it is very interesting

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Theres a site somewhere that lists a lot of the doomsday predictions throughout history. None of them came to pass. Its just a sick obsession humanity has with the end, some people use it to make money, others to control and manipulate people, and some people actually believe it. Yes civilisations come and go, but new ones arise when old ones fall. Just dont concern yourself with all this crap, if it happens it happens, and none of us will see it coming if it does.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Very arrogant video.
The "Mayan Calendar" is actually the Olmec Calendar which the Mayans inherited along with all their other Tech (they Mayan's were not a smart race).
The Olmecs where an advance race with a great understanding of space and time.

I don't know if anything will happen 2012, but it is the end of age and the completion a of an Earth wobble approx 26,000 years, something we have only figured out in the past 100 years or so. Not to bad for calendar made 1000's of years ago.
FYI their prophecy did tell of visitors who will arrive by sea bearing a cross. They believed this was their god (I think Viracocha) they were not expecting to be attacked.

This guy needs to do his home work.

Also I don't watch the History channel

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by wycky

The "prophecy" regarding the arrival of the white man comes from the books of the Chilam Balam. These were post-Columbian texts that were heavily influenced by the beliefs of the Spanish. There are even sections in it describing Spanish traditions and Catholic holidays.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by wycky

I don't know if anything will happen 2012, but it is the end of age and the completion a of an Earth wobble approx 26,000 years, something we have only figured out in the past 100 years or so. Not to bad for calendar made 1000's of years ago.

The completion of a wobble? The wobble is not a cyclic as you might imagine. It is a continuously changing wobble in which the length of time to complete the wobble changes. There is no start time. There is no end time. There isn't even a regularity to the wobble. On top of that the Mayans did not understand the existence of the wobble. They realized over time that the star charts were off. They made new ones. They did not see it as due to any particular cause other than possibly human error.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by wycky

The completion of a wobble? The wobble is not a cyclic as you might imagine. It is a continuously changing wobble in which the length of time to complete the wobble changes. There is no start time. There is no end time. There isn't even a regularity to the wobble. On top of that the Mayans did not understand the existence of the wobble. They realized over time that the star charts were off. They made new ones. They did not see it as due to any particular cause other than possibly human error.

Not human error, they understood the Earth's wobble.
A wobble is a "great year" once the earth has passed all the Zodiac signs.

great year
(NASA SP-7, 1965)
The period of one complete cycle of the equinoxes around the ecliptic, about 25,800 years. Also called platonic year. See precession of the equinoxes.

precession of the equinoxes
(NASA SP-7, 1965)
The conical motion of the earth's axis about the normal to the plane of the ecliptic, caused by the attractive force of the sun, moon, and other planets on the equatorial protuberance of the earth.
The effect of the sun and moon, called lunisolar prescession, is to produce a westward motion of the equinoxes along the ecliptic. The effect of other planets, called planetary precession, tends to produce a much smaller motion eastward along the ecliptic. The resultant motion, called general precession, is westward along the ecliptic at the rate of about 50.3 seconds of arc per year. The component of general precession along the celestial equator, called precession in right ascension, is about 46.1 seconds of arc per year; and the component along a celestial meridian, called precession in declination, is about 20.0 seconds of arc per year.

www.hq.nasa.gov...

Watch the following Documentaries they show great evidence to back up what i have said, also a great book is . Finger Prints of the Gods by Graham Hancock

- The Mystery of the Sphinx New Scientific Evidence

- Atlantis Secret Star Mappers of a lost world

- and a new one just released with more up to date info and evidence - The Revelation of the Pyramids

Discussed on ATS a few months ago - www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by wycky

Your error here is to think that the Mayans knew why their star charts were repeatedly wrong. They did not know. The Mayans had no idea why the charts were noticeably wrong every 100 years or so. They thought it was human error.

Watch the following Documentaries they show great evidence to back up what i have said, also a great book is .

I know what precession of the equinoxes is. I know it quite well. What you seem to miss is that the claims of frauds such as Hancock are hoaxes. The rate of precession changes. It is not possible to predict how long it takes for precession to complete a cycle as you claim.

Linking to nitwit claims does not support your claims. It simply shows you have fallen for hoaxes.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by wycky

Your error here is to think that the Mayans knew why their star charts were repeatedly wrong. They did not know. The Mayans had no idea why the charts were noticeably wrong every 100 years or so. They thought it was human error.

Watch the following Documentaries they show great evidence to back up what i have said, also a great book is .

I know what precession of the equinoxes is. I know it quite well. What you seem to miss is that the claims of frauds such as Hancock are hoaxes. The rate of precession changes. It is not possible to predict how long it takes for precession to complete a cycle as you claim.

Linking to nitwit claims does not support your claims. It simply shows you have fallen for hoaxes.

Everything spoken about in that book and the documentaries above is backed up by scientist, astronomers, engineers, architects etc. Point out a hoax for me....
If you decide to watch any, watch the last one it has the most info and lots of mathematics.
Also like I said in my first post it the Olmec not the Mayan Calendar. The Mayans knew how to read it, but not understand it (they Mayans were not smart).
The Olmec / Mayan Calendar also predicted solar and lunar eclipses and other astrological events 100's &1000's of years in to the future.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
2012 is here.

So hack your way through it.

I hope this is the end of that Mayan crap.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by wycky

First off, there is no one Mayan calendar. It is a system made up of numerous calendars. Second, eclipses occur with some regularity and are in fact quite simple to predict. Third, the Long Count is not some complex calendar like you are making it out to be and it doesn't have any special meaning. It is simply a count of days. There is nothing more to it than that. The only thing you could point to as anomalous about it is the fact that 18 winals equals a tun when everything else is in units of 20. However, this has a very simply explanation. 18 winals is equal to exactly 360 days which is the length of the Mayan solar calendar minus the five unnamed days at the end of the year.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by wycky

Everything spoken about in that book and the documentaries above is backed up by scientist, astronomers, engineers, architects etc. Point out a hoax for me....
If you decide to watch any, watch the last one it has the most info and lots of mathematics.
Also like I said in my first post it the Olmec not the Mayan Calendar. The Mayans knew how to read it, but not understand it (they Mayans were not smart).
The Olmec / Mayan Calendar also predicted solar and lunar eclipses and other astrological events 100's &1000's of years in to the future.

That's not true is it. Hoaxes begin by using a few truths and then go off the deep end with all sorts of lies. That is how hoaxes work.

You are also quite wrong to claim that the Mayans were not smart. They were intelligent and that can be seen in their constructions, development of language, their mathematics, the astronomical tables they developed.

The solar and lunar eclipses were not accurate to thousands of years in the future. The regularity of eclipses allowed them to make predictions a few centuries into the future. After that the lack of precision would be revealed.

As I pointed out before the Mayans did not know about precession.

new topics

top topics

join