It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Activists Blame Nike Shoes for Rising Crime, Demand Company Lower Prices to ‘Meet Customer Demand

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
www.theblaze.com...

www.freerepublic.com...

Seriously?
So now instead of looking to the people, that are the ones actively doing these actions, it is the fault of Nike and Michael Jordan?
What a Mad world this is.

Does anyone actually buy into or even take Quanell X serious?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
people going crazy over nike shoes

just take a look at the above link, crazy stuff!!

SEATTLE (The Blaze/AP) – The sale of new Nike retro Air Jordans led to chaos in multiple locations across America. But it was in a Seattle, Washington, suburb that the situation appeared to be most out of hand.

Police used pepper spray on about 20 people at a Seattle-area mall, while officers arrested at least four unruly shoppers in suburban Atlanta. The list of cities where mayhem unfolded only seems to be growing.

Nike´s response:

Nike responded: Consumer safety and security is of paramount importance. We encourage anyone wishing to purchase our product to do so in a respectful and safe manner. “We’re not trying to make it logical. We‘re simply saying it’s going to take all of us collectively to take responsibility for making a change,” said Bishop James Dixon, Community of Faith Church. But does basic economics agree with the leaders’ calls for Nike to lower the price to meet customer demand?

for a pair of goddamn sneakers

edit on Fri Dec 30 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Yeah.
$180 for a pair of shoes.
I will not spend more then $40 for a pair of tennis shoes, and they last 2 years with heavy usage.
What a mad mad world.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Yep....pretty sad state of affairs when people will wait hours in line for a pair of shoes...but won't take 20mins of their time to go vote on election day....or anything else important for that matter.

The most expensive pair of shoes I have (~$150) are for squash....and that's cause I got wide feet with a weak left ankle due to a nasty break/dislocate.
edit on 30-12-2011 by Vardoger because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-12-2011 by Vardoger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
It's not just Nike and their over priced garbage shoes. What people don't realize is the price of most all corporate produced products are sky high because the people at the top demand there 6 an 7 digit bonus. While all along they are already making 6 or 7 digit salarys. It's the greed at the top that forces us at the bottom to pay the exorbitant prices to hitch up their bonus.

This is just one aspect. The other part of the equation is the devolution of main society. We are more about stuff and less about life. We are so desperate to keep up with the Jonses that a large portion of us act like animals when situations arise like this Nike crap.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I still can't understand this reason and logic for such a item that is clearly a want not a need.

I do not blame nike for this . I blame this on some peoples mentality . As to why they would even line up for a pair of shoes

I would have all those people locked down in the store , get everyone huddled together with the police , ask everyone about there lifes expenses and financial strains they have.

I would then ask them how they have time to waste here standing in line for shoes when they are broke.

give them all a psychiatric evaluation

and hopefully find the root cause to such maddness

Do you think some of these people work half this hard for a job?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Vardoger

My most expensive are Doc Martin Boots. But, I have had them for 5 years. Same pair.
Those Air Jordans won't last anywhere close to that long.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights
It's not just Nike and their over priced garbage shoes. What people don't realize is the price of most all corporate produced products are sky high because the people at the top demand there 6 an 7 digit bonus. While all along they are already making 6 or 7 digit salarys. It's the greed at the top that forces us at the bottom to pay the exorbitant prices to hitch up their bonus.

This is just one aspect. The other part of the equation is the devolution of main society. We are more about stuff and less about life. We are so desperate to keep up with the Jonses that a large portion of us act like animals when situations arise like this Nike crap.

Oh come on.
It doesn't matter what price the shoes are.
The issue is how the people that have opted to purchase the shoes act or should I say act out.
The shoes could be $80, and the people would not change how they act.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman

My most expensive are Doc Martin Boots. But, I have had them for 5 years. Same pair.

I have a pair of Doc Martin dress shoes that are going on their 9th year. best 120 bucks I ever spent.

Oh come on.
It doesn't matter what price the shoes are.
The issue is how the people that have opted to purchase the shoes act or should I say act out.
The shoes could be $80, and the people would not change how they act.

You missed the last part of my post.

edit on 30-12-2011 by DerbyCityLights because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

I have a pair of Doc Martin dress shows that are going on their 9th year. best 120 bucks I ever spent.

Yep, and I do believe that they have a lifetime warranty.
Best shoes. Wish they made tennis shoes, as boots don't go with everything.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
This insanity is symptomatic of American society reaching critical mass on the nuclear meltdown-o-meter.

This is consumer mentality taken to the extreme. Let's fight to the death over some cheap, Chinese-made plastic and rubber sneakers that are worth $25 but have a $200 price tag. How nice for Nike that the entire African American culture places a higher value on those black and white goofy shoes than they do on a human life.

To say that those sneakers are an important part of African American culture, instead of music, art, or basic education, makes me sad indeed.

However, for that same culture to demand that a company reduce the price of those shoes in order to make sure that everybody can have a pair is beyond ludicrous. If they weren't so brainwashed by the idea that every black person has to have them, they could boycott the shoes, thereby ensuring the price will drop to something more reasonable, like $100 or less. They are asking the company to save them from themselves. Wow. The whole idea of personal responsibility appears as dead as the Dodo.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
More stories here

One local tried to explain the mad, and oftentimes violent, dash to get the much sought-after shoes.
“These shoes have always had a place of value in Black life,” said Malik Ingram

“The people that can least afford these shoes are buying them, and what happens as a result of that? Well there’s more crime,” said Ben Mendez, a Hispanic business leader.

So ... breaking down the article ... black people who can't afford $200 sneakers will go commit crimes in order to get the money to buy them.

To those who 'just gotta' have' Air Jordans .. here's a clue ... live within your means and buy $50 sneakers at Kohls. They look fine and probably last longer than those over priced things you are so set on having.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
If finding yourself lusting after material objects to the point that violating another human being to acquire those objects seems reasonable one must stop and take stock because there is seriously something wrong with your brain at that point.

How many leaps must a thinking human make to go from "hey, those are nice sneakers" to "sure, those are worth 200 freaking dollars"? Let alone all the way up to "I should punch this guy out or go hold up a gas station to get a pair of those."

Obviously the key word is "thinking" here. So why are there so many non-thinking humans walking around?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
This is just so screwed up I don't know where to begin.

Are these people so retarded and slaves to the ad men that they can't see how petty and ridiculous they appear? I despair at the state humanity has sunk to and this just reinforces my vbiew of sections of it. Worse still, these people get to vote as well!

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
They're visible wealth.

If they cost $2, they would bring no intra-cultural recognition.

The pursuit of visible wealth is an oppressor in and of itself. Much stronger than da man.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Websites like that actively search out and pick the crazies, most extreme that fulfills their agenda, from a crowd. They then edit it to their liking to make it appear even more ridiculous.

I could go out and within a few minutes find people even organizations on the far right (or left) with even more outlandish demands, claims, or opinions.

Such sources are useless and do nothing but instigate a particular agenda...

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJM8507
Websites like that actively search out and pick the crazies, most extreme that fulfills their agenda, from a crowd. They then edit it to their liking to make it appear even more ridiculous.

I could go out and within a few minutes find people even organizations on the far right (or left) with even more outlandish demands, claims, or opinions.

Such sources are useless and do nothing but instigate a particular agenda...

SO kill the messenger basically?

Has nothing to do with the website
. As this was reported not only there, but by the activists in the area as well.

Please, do some research into it, before you just condemn it due to the listed source.
This can be found on many other sites.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
It just shows how SCREWED up the world is!

People care more about shoes than their rights being systematically taken away...

Ridiculous! Let 'em fight over shoes! Who cares....they shoot each other, so what. You want to act like an animal over something so materialistic then maybe you deserve the consequences.

Same goes for those who wait in line for days for new electronic devices or movies. It's something I just can't comprehend because I don't put such importance on material possessions.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

Agreed!

Priorities need to be assessed!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join