It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Martian Life Study / Solar System Life Opinions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Ice within lava tubes on Earth can host bacteria in cold, Mars-like conditions, hinting that life could dwell in similar lava tubes on Mars, researchers say.

The microbes in question were collected from a lava tube near Newberry Crater in Oregon's Cascade Mountains at an elevation of 5,020 feet (1,530 meters). The bacteria resided within ice on rocks some 100 feet (30 m) inside the lava tube. "We found many, many microbes, many species," study lead author Radu Popa, a microbiologist and astrobiologist at Portland State University, told SPACE.com. One of the microbes is a species of Pseudomonas, one of the most common types of bacteria on Earth.

Reading an interesting article recently posted on space.com, the study suggests we may find bacteria on Mars, in similar conditions than we find on Earth, this comes as no surprise to many I'm sure as this has been debated for awhile. So the question I put to everyone here, what do you think the next 12 months of 2012 hold for the search for extraterrestrial life in our solar system? We're living in an exciting time..

Full article can be read here. space.com

If mods think this is in the wrong section, then please move by all means. I think it's an acceptable topic for Aliens/UFO section.

Finding bacteria on Mars, 100% undeniable proof of it I should say, then Europa, how could anyone deny the possibility of other life, such as sentient life?
edit on 30-12-2011 by Violence because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-12-2011 by Violence because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

edit on 30/12/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Interesting. I think its common knowledge that at some point life did exist on Mars which has been confirmed many a time by NASA scientists. This latest news adds more weight to the theory that we are not alone and there are/were/maybe other life forms we have yet to engage. I would imagine with the way things are going 2012 is going to be a pretty exciting year.

1st January 2012 DISCLOSURE IS COMING!

I joke.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I like the topic Violence.

Well we are still finding out new things about microbes on our own planet. In the last ten years we have found that some can live by super heated vents at the bottom of the ocean where sun doesn't reach.

Just goes to show 'ya that life can live outside of the standard we know. That is why its called evolving and adapting. Interesting none the less.

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Very nice article, thank you.
Personally I'm a fan of the Panspermia theory to some extend,
and like to believe life(in whatever form) is a lot more common than previously thought.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by derpif

Maybe well find that life itself is born from a supernova like everything else and then carried through the universe seeding as it goes. Life want’s to survive so adaption in inevitable.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Here is another article about scientists testing tech for Mission to Titan

space.com titan mission

Have a read, well worth it.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

After assembling Sunday night at a hotel in Santiago, Chile, the first group of Planetary Lake Landers (PLLers) began their journey to Laguna Negra Monday morning. The most arduous part of the trip was getting out of the hotel parking lot into rush-hour traffic.

Very interesting article. Space.com is a good website for the most up to date info. Titan will be a long mission it'll take some time to get there no doubt.

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

Yeah won't be any time soon that they make it there heh.

Space.com is awesome

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Im quite sceptical of anything being found alive on mars, enceladus is the most likely candidate to hold life as most scientists think it has a liquid ocean under its frozen crust. Heres hoping that the new Curiosity rover finds something interesting on mars though!

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violence
Space.com is awesome

Why? All they do is copy the press releases from NASA

astrobiology.nasa.gov...

Why not get your news directly?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Violence

The conditions in the Oregon lava tubes are not at all similar to those found on Mars. Nowhere on Earth are conditions similar to Mars found.

It's going to be a while before anything gets to Mars that can actually look for life. Curiosity will be landing (if all goes well) in August but she's not well equipped for spelunking. She'll be sniffing the atmosphere and looking for hints of life but that's about it. We won't know for sure either way next year.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Nowhere on Earth are conditions similar to Mars found.

Why are you always spewing such statements when NASA itself disagrees with you?

:shk:

MARS-LIKE ATACAMA DESERT COULD EXPLAIN VIKING 'NO LIFE' RESULTS

A team of scientists from NASA, the Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Louisiana State University and several other research organizations has discovered clues from one of Earth's driest deserts about the limits of life on Earth, and why past missions to Mars may have failed to detect life.

"In the driest part of the Atacama, we found that, if Viking had landed there instead of on Mars and done exactly the same experiments, we would also have been shut out," said Dr. Chris McKay, the expedition's principal investigator, who is based at NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, Calif. "The Atacama appears to be the only place on Earth Viking would have found nothing."

www.nasa.gov...

So you keep trying to convince everyone that you know everything, but it doesn't take much search to find that the real scientists don't support your theories

from your favorite source - Wikipedia

Comparison to Mars

In a region about 100 kilometres (60 mi) south of Antofagasta which averages 3,000 metres (10,000 ft) height, the soil has been compared to that of Mars. Due to its otherworldly appearance, the Atacama has been used as a location for filming Mars scenes, most notably in the television series Space Odyssey: Voyage To The Planets. In 2003, a team of researchers published a report in the journal Science titled "Mars-like Soils in the Atacama Desert, Chile, and the Dry Limit of Microbial Life" in which they duplicated the tests used by the Viking 1 and Viking 2 Mars landers to detect life and were unable to detect any signs in Atacama Desert soil.

en.wikipedia.org...

Mars? or Atacama? Hard to tell when you apply the standard red tint Mars color

But we all know Mars really has blue skies

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Gee, it looks like Mars. That must mean it is just like Mars. Parts of Haleakala look like Mars. Parts of Mauna Kea look like Mars. They must be just like Mars!

Tell me Zorgon, what is the atmospheric pressure at the Atacama desert? What is the partial pressure of oxygen? What is the partial pressure of water vapor? How cold does it get? Now tell me what the atmospheric pressure on the surface of Mars is. The partial pressure of oxygen. The partial pressure of water vapor. How cold does it get on Mars? How Marslike is the Atacama desert, exactly?

Yes, I know that Levin showed that the instruments on the Vikings were not sensitive enough to detect extremely low levels of organics. So, in your mind, that means that the Atacama desert is Marslike? Brilliant.

edit on 12/30/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/30/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Hey, this is the type of discussion I wanted in here. I'd love to write a long winded response, but it's 3:36pm and it's NYE, so I have some partying to do. I'll be back tomorrow to write some more.

Happy Holidays. Play nice

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Don't ask me... the "Mars-Like" comment was from NASA... go tell THEM your theory

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Now tell me what the atmospheric pressure on the surface of Mars is.

How about YOU tell ME Herr Expert, what the conditions are like on Mars... without using NASA figures

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Your quote says soil, mars-like soil.

The researchers called the soil mars-like because:

The Viking missions showed the martian soil to be lifeless and depleted in organic material and indicated the presence of one or more reactive oxidants. Here we report the presence of Mars-like soils in the extreme arid region of the Atacama Desert.

www.sciencemag.org...

In spite of the fact that bacteria was found the levels of organics which the Viking experiments were designed to find were too low to have been detected. The Atacama desert is not Marslike. The soil is because of the extremely low levels of organic materials found there.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Your quote says soil, mars-like soil.

The Atacama desert is not Marslike. The soil is because of the extremely low levels of organic materials found there.

So since the OP article is about taking SOIL samples from lava tubes...

and you admit the soil is mars-like...

glad you finally get it

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I think that is cool that they are sarting to find all this stuff out about life being on other planets. the universe is too big to think we are alone in it. it would be so cool to find out that we are really from mars and that our ancesters came to earth because,of mars becoming unstable. I think that would be amazing!

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

So since the OP article is about taking SOIL samples from lava tubes...

No.
The bacteria were found in ice, not soil.

I was not talking about a lack of organic material in soil being marslike, though it is. I was talking about environmental conditions in general. No place on Earth has marslike conditions.

edit on 12/31/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join