It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The time before the big bang?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I was having a look around on the web as I absolutely want to know what existed before our universe was brought into existence?

Anyway I came across this picture which I find to be a good diagram

I also found this nice piece of text

The pre-big bang singularity possessed all the mass in the universe, effectively bringing time to a standstill.

But then

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time only came into being as that primordial singularity expanded toward its current size and shape.

But what I find troubling is - How did the elements that caused the big bang come into existence? - If the big bang is the reason for the start of the universe

How did the very first building blocks of time come in to existence? Can the answer be found outside our universe? If there is a god then how did they come in to existence? What was the very first thing to come into existence? has there ever been time before our universe somewhere else?

If there was time before our universe would that mean there would have to be matter otherwise how can we tell if there is time with no matter? So if there was time before our universe could that mean there was another universe? This relates to the membrane theory which basically says - If there was a universe before ours there will be a universe after it.

Membrane theory

And what annoys me - This still doesn't explain where the very first building blocks of life came from or how they got there.

A few interesting sites to have a read of.

What came before the big bang?

What existed before the big bang?

I'm curious to know whether you have had any good finds on this matter.
edit on 30-12-2011 by curiousrb because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-12-2011 by curiousrb because: HTML problem

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
God farted

Seriously though, i would like to know as well. Maybe there are numerous universes that when one stretches so far that when it 'snaps' back, the intitial snap causes a big bang, thus creating another universe?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by curiousrb

I have pondered the very same brainbusting questions all of my life .
I will be keeping a close eye on this thread , because I wager there will be one or two interesting views .

S+F

edit on 29/05/2011 by tpg65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
There was no time before the Big Bang.Time itself was created with the explosion.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
We have not got to that level of understanding yet

What caused the big Bang ?

What was there before the big bang?

What gives particles mass?

Why are we here?

What is the purpose?

Welcome to philosophy lol.

Science can't take you there :p *yet*

What caused the first thing to interact with the second thing to create all this.

Nobody knows. Really if it was all a natural process , we shouldn't be here .

All those billions if not trillions years of cause and effect brought us to here , to tpe out the question of wtf happened back in the day ?

also begs the question if there is a god , what created him.

Untill we can send a probe to the "edge" of the universe, we can only speculate with some whacky theories . lol

it just did , doesnt cut it anymore.

Lets just say we don't know and can't even begin to put together a plausable picture. But im sure one day the curtains will open up in space , and lights come on , We all be like "ta da" and say oh thats how !! lol

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
If you want a quick answer , choose religion.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrNaM3nT

yeah I think that's the lazy man's way about it.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
God did it.

Far simpler than trying to work out something we'll never get anywhere near proving

edit on 30-12-2011 by Beavers because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrNaM3nT

But on the other hand .... If you want the REAL answer , choose science .
I think we are heading towards some interesting times in the next few decades .

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Are you familiar with THE BIG BANG NEVER HAPPENED? It's Eric Lerner's treatise on plasma cosmology...good stuff.

OK there was no big bang, and if there was it is the first and only creative, centerless, accelerating explosion.

What cosmologists call epochs, Genesis calls days, but really we are talking 7 phase states:

Dark Energy
Dark Matter
BECs/Superfluids
Plasma
Gas
Liquid
Solid

Successive states of complexity building upon and guided by simple rules, a scale-invariant self-similar seed...blossoms into a universe, a continuous omnibang...the singularity is everywhere.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
All I'm gonna say is if god did do all this pics or didn't happen

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
42?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
If the LHC device, 1 of Earths many SCIENTIFIC study tools is designed to create a big bang for scientific observation, is a ENERGY containment device with OUTSIDE OBSERVERS AND INFLUENCERS STUDYING. Why is it hard to consider this little universe doing the same things done with LHC all the way to how the machine has been designed to contain massive amounts of energy in a DEEP SPACE like environment within the BEAMS. Further what would energies aware within the LHC unobservable think created them - keeping in mind the time inside the LHC collisions wouldnt be the same time out side.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I believe that all we are able to possibly find out is the beginnings of OUR Big Bang...meaning, the one for THIS universe...

The most plausible theory so far, according to recent theories from some of the world's top physicists, is the MULTIVERSE theory; the notion that there is not ONE universe, but multiple. They are also referred to as 'Parallel Universes'.

This is I have a thread called DREAMS ARE TRAVELS TO PARALLEL UNIVERSES. Basically, I discuss how those places in 'dreamland' are us temporarily experiencing our other realities....

Most likely, the Big Bang was an exploded supermassive black hole, one that has swallowed millions of galaxies from another universe and spewed the remnants out 'on the other side', creating a brand new universe.

Something likes this is happening all the time in each universe.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by curiousrb

remember that the big bang theory is just that, a theory. although it is the most widely accepted theory to date, that could all change with some new evidence or new theory. even the big bang theory itself has several theories as to what created it and what predated it. sometimes i wonder if we will ever know for sure.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
The whole idea of determining the origin and purpose of creation of our Universe, can be illustrated in an image I loved as a kid pondering the bigger things in life, with rudimentary conclusions.

So you can play basketball!

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
even the multiverse theory has several incarnations

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
My beliefs are that there are continuous big bangs, they've been repeating forever, a big bang, from 2 membranes touching, an expansion, then begins to contract.. and so on and so forth. I may have explained that properly, my excuse is NYE

But hey, what do I know

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
If we ever come close to finding out what it is I believe it will be through science. Not religion :p The reason why - Religion never changes and it already has many flaws.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Myself, I never understood the conflict between religion and science.

I don't believe the quantum scientists dispel a 'higher power' of ultimate origin as much as religion does, though the Vatican has already admitted to the possibility of extraterrestrial visitation and the ToR, in fact, they have an observatory on grounds. The Vatican Observatory, and a school of science.

What is to say a higher power didn't start the laws of physics in motion? Time is relative.

new topics

top topics

join