It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel kills al Qaeda-linked chief in Gaza strike

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Israel kills al Qaeda-linked chief in Gaza strike

www.reuters.com

Israel killed the leader of an al Qaeda-inspired faction in the Gaza Strip on Friday, accusing him of involvement in firing rockets and a planned attack on the Jewish state from the neighboring Egyptian Sinai.

The deadly air strike was Israel's second against a Salafi Islamist militant this week. Militants identified him as Momen Abu Daf, chief of the Army of Islam, among a loose network of Palestinian groups which profess allegiance to al Qaeda and have been reinforced by volunteers who slip in from the Sinai.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 30-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Al-Qaeda in Gaza now? I never knew the CIA infiltrated that region yet, I thought it was mostly Mossad.

This holiday season is full of wonderfully stupid propaganda, they're really putting it into overdrive. It's a little much, even for me.

I would like to see this "evidence" proving this man was planning attacks on Israel. I bet they can't produce, because it doesn't exist.

This one will be fun to watch unfold.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Nice topic once again CE. AQ is all over the Middle-east and if they are planning attacks on the West better believe they are planning them on Israel consdering they are a big enemy of the Arab world as well.

Even if there is no evidence, AQ admits to things they do, so I'm sure the cough it up sooner or later. If they don't they didn't do it...Same ol' game different country.

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
ISI, Al Queida as well as Hamas and Hezzbullah, SAVAK (in all its recent forms) and Shu'bat al-Mukhabarat al-'Askariyya all permeate that area as well so it was only a matter of time before one of those rogue agencies added complications to the area.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
The interesting part is "Al Qaeda inspired faction". WTH is an inspired faction?

First this mean... it's not Al Qaeda... but some faction inspired by Al Qaeda? What? I can classify many groups as Al Qaeda inspired? Who is the one labeling them in the first place?

edit on 30/12/11 by blackcube because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I think Israel has learnt from the US that instead of trying to justify why an innocent person was killed just label them as Al-Qaeda.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by blackcube

Inspired by someone, something or a idea. Faction being a group of people with a collective goal..?

My thoughts, not positive.

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackcube
The interesting part is "Al Qaeda inspired faction". WTH is a inspired faction?

edit on 30/12/11 by blackcube because: (no reason given)

Al Queida on the Arabian Penninsula
Al Queida in Iraq
Al Queida in Yemen
Al Queida in Somalia

Nigeria
Sudan
Malaysia
Phillipines
etc etc etc

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by corporation
I think Israel has learnt from the US that instead of trying to justify why an innocent person was killed just label them as Al-Qaeda.

or infidel / Zionist - depending on what side of the fence your on.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I must profess I am not overly familiar with this Momen Abu Daf individual however I am familiar with the Army of Islam in Palestine although I have never heard of this guy being there “Chief”, that would be the head of the Doghmush clan .

To refresh people’s memory, the Army of Islam is the same group that was responsible for the kidnapping of BBC correspondent Allan Johnston who demanded that in return for Johnston the British government release Abu Qatada. This is where the link to Al-Qa’ida appears to originate as Abu Qatada is considered to be “Bin Laden’s man in Europe” however it is unclear if this group is part of the wider Al-Qa’ida network. Rather it appears to be a group that shears a similar ideology to Al-Qa’ida yet maintains operational autonomy from the core of Al-Qa’ida for this reason it other Palestinian groups have distanced themselves from the group. What makes there link to Al-Qa’ida even more questionable is that Abd-Qatada actually offered to assist the British authorities in negotiating the release of Allan Johnston. One could speculate that this group does not have any real links to Al-Qa’ida and simply made the demand for his release in order to win favour with core Al-Qa’ida and gain their support thus making them a serious player in the Palestinian conflict. It appears to me that this group are not connected to Al-Qa’ida but just inspired by the ideology of Al-Qa’ida and sympathise with their goal for global jihad.

I hope that explains their link to Al-Qa’ida.

There reputation however as a major player in Palestine however has grown since the capture of Allan Johnston, they are one of the groups who were responsible for the capture of Gilad Shalit they Israeli soldier recently released in a prisoner swap.

To further add to some of the confusion around this report it was also reported in 2010 that the leader of the Army of Islam, Muhammad Namnam had been killed in a joint IDF-ISA strike. I would assume that this Momen Abu Daf could possibly be the new leader of the group however I have found nothing conclusive other than these reports that call him the leader of the Army of Islam there for the significance of this killing remains to be seen. What one can conclude form history is that even if he is the leader of this group it will not stop their activities.

idfspokesperson.com... american-and-israeli-targets-3-nov-2010/

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

To help you out with the situation (which is clearly very complex and nothing like the simple slogans most are exposed to):

Hamas destroys al-Qaida group in violent Gaza battle Fighting between Islamist groups leaves 21 dead after brief declaration of 'Islamic emirate' by foreign-led followers of Bin Laden

www.guardian.co.uk...
See - Al-Qaeda in the past succeeded infiltrating Gaza and even pissed off Hamas enough for shooting to start.

And how about Maan news, clearly not an Israeli propaganda:

Israeli forces killed a leader of a Salafi faction in the Gaza Strip on Friday, the second such strike on Palestinian militants with al Qaeda ties this week.

www.maannews.net...

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

You're much more knowledgeable than I am within your regional events, but I believe that many of these various factions have been infiltrated and are there to cause unrest. I'm sure you know where I'm going with this, I'm not going to bother listing any examples until I can compile some facts.

I myself can be guilty of trusting and discrediting sources before properly researching all the information, I believe you're a bit more trusting when it comes to some of the stories from some of these sites than I am.

I mean no offense, but clearly we differ in opinion on a lot of things on this topic.

I recall the instance from 2009 and even back then I thought it smelled fishy.

BTW, you're the only Israel supporter that I ever star. You always have interesting perspectives and even if I disagree, I also respect your debates.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
More footage:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

What’s very interesting is what groups are part of Al-Qa’ida, groups that are “affiliated” or “linked” and groups who are inspired by Al-Qa’ida.

It’s all to do with how a group evolves, take for instance the Al-Qa’ida organisation in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) they actually started out as a completely independent group form Al-Qa’ida with an entirely different objective. AQIM was originally called the Armed Islamic Group (AIG) and operated in Algeria they originally wanted to over through the Algerian government in favour of an Islamic state however they also attacked the French. To cut a very long story short the group split after disagreements about the killing of civilians, one of the most significant splinter groups to emerge was called Salafist Group for Preaching and Combat who had a ideology much more akin to that of Al-Qa’ida’s and it is believed sent some of their member’s to the training camps in Afghanistan run by Al-Qa’ida. At this point we can say that the group was most definitely linked to Al-Qa’ida. It wasn’t until 2006 when Ayman al-Zawahiri announced a union between the two Al-Qa’ida and SGPC that the group became “part of Al-Qa’ida” even it that it wasn’t until 2007 that they began to use the name the Al-Qa’ida organisation in the Islamic Maghreb.

The network that has become Al-Qa’ida is incredibly complex and each of these groups and how they relate to Al-Qa’ida really does need to be looked at individually.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Just also want to point out for you that Al-Qa’ida in the Arabian Peninsula and Al-Qa’ida in Yemen are really the same group. They used to be a separate group however they then joined with other Al-Qa’ida group’s on the Arabian Peninsula namely Al-Qa’ida in Saudi Arabia to form AQAP

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
The network that has become Al-Qa’ida is incredibly complex and each of these groups and how they relate to Al-Qa’ida really does need to be looked at individually.

Thanks for the insight in the region. Its nice to have someone who has more than a passing understanding who can help the rest of us out.

As far as the individual groups it makes sense if we view each affiliation as an independent cell, composed of smaller independent cells, composed of etc etc etc.

A fundamental shift in the warfare of Genghis khan we are used to. Gone are the days of large scale troop movements and large engaged battles with traditional organization. Now days its a constant insurgency using unconventional tactics.

If we look at history and use it as our guide its a concept that at one point allowed a rag tag group of people the ability to claim victory over the most powerful nation on the planet.

Of course at the time we knew the ragtag groups as the American colonists and the most powerful military / country on the planet as Great Britain. Warfare and tactics evolve, always coming back to lex parsimoniae - for those who dont know latin its commonly referred to as Occam's Razor.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I would like to see this "evidence" proving this man was planning attacks on Israel. I bet they can't produce, because it doesn't exist.

And,

How about a "body" ....

That picture looks more like another training mission.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

That body of his is probably the closest we will ever get to any proof of his terrorist intentions.

Remember the IDF airstrike a couple months back where they "stopped the terrorists right as they were about to fire a missile".

Here I found it

The IDF thwarted an attack from the Sinai Peninsula on Thursday after the Air Force bombed targets in the northern Gaza Strip, killing a number of senior terrorists involved in plotting attacks against Israel.

Palestinians reported that two people were killed in the attack and at least two others injured.

The IDF said the cell that was targeted was planning to launch an attack against Israel from Egypt. One of the operatives. Sobhi Ismail Batash, a resident of Gaza City, was described as a senior operative in the al Aksa Martys Brigades and was involved in planning the attack. The IDF said that the terrorists were supposed to cross from Gaza in to Sinai, and then into Israel.

Over the past week the IDF has been on high alert along the border with Egypt amid concern that terrorists were plotting an attack similar to the one in August when Palestinian and Egyptian terrorists crossed into Israel and killed eight Israelis.

Batash, the IDF said, was involved in a 2007 attack when a suicide bomber crossed from Sinai into Eilat, blowing himself up and killing three Israelis. He was also involved in other attacks over the years that were thwarted.

www.jpost.com...

Sounds like their good at thwarting attacks

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

And your clip says that a total of eleven Israelis were killed.

What's your point. That Israel thwarts attacks that aren't real? I think your own clip proved you wrong. Apparently, terrorists do slip through occasionally. And yes, they should be fairly good at thwarting attacks considering they've been consistently attacked for years now!

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

edit on 30-12-2011 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join