It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the reason i quit going to church

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
so the moral to the story.
I went to find a true church.

NO?
or is it.
I want to mock the truth with a strawman arg?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by stealthmonkey
reply to post by cloudyday

we were on a hay ride looking at christmas lights and a little kid asked him why he became a preacher and that was his answer which was over herd by my grandpa sitting there which was a decon of the church needless to say he was voted out soon after

so your point is that preachers are infallible, and if not there is no God?
or that at 17 you thought as a child?
I am getting confused.
btw, I once drank a beer when I was 17.
Can you guess how old I am now? This is a reading comprehension test.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

we were on a hay ride looking at christmas lights and a little kid asked him why he became a preacher and that was his answer which was over herd by my grandpa sitting there which was a decon of the church needless to say he was voted out soon after

At least your church took action. My priest was probably worse than your preacher, but he has been the priest for 10 years and he will probably continue to be the priest as long as he wants.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
i stopped going too. i am the god of time. however , i have donated jesus in the flesh to the VATICAN for physical consumption at like, now,soo...like, yeah, whatever. don't blink...just call and ask. hint...earthfiles.com fleshcapacitor...ahum, oh and christ skin bandages to affect your genetics directly. seek christ under the stone and you will deal with PAUL the chosen instrument of GOD etc etc. just play football and seek christ.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by manna2
so the moral to the story.
I went to find a true church.

NO?
or is it.
I want to mock the truth with a strawman arg?

there is no moral to the story i was just sharing my experience i leave it up to you to decide what you do with the facts presented you can either take it or leave it there will be no sweat off my sack either way
edit on 30-12-2011 by stealthmonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

so your point is that preachers are infallible, and if not there is no God?
or that at 17 you thought as a child?
I am getting confused.
btw, I once drank a beer when I was 17.
Can you guess how old I am now? This is a reading comprehension test.

its ok to be confused nobody knows everything

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
so, how old am I?
I am only confused by your reasoning.
Why post this thread?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Why post this thread?

I believe this was posted because this is a discussion forum. Its where people gather to discuss things.

So....to get back on topic.....
I quit going to church because I found it to be too demeaning....why waste my time listening to some guy telling me that I'm a sinner, and I'm going to hell (unless I put enough money in his plate he keeps passing around).
edit on 30-12-2011 by vogon42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I quit going to church at 17 too. What I didn't like about it was the money aspect. Everything came back to money. I went to a small non denominational church. We would take trips to those giant megachurches for concerts and in the middle of the concert they would stop for a sermon, prayer, and pass around these giant buckets for people to throw their cash in. 10,000 people in there throwing in their money.. they were pulling in quite a profit I must say, some nice cars in their parking lots. A few years later it turned out the pastor I went to for 3 years was molesting 12 year olds. This was the same guy who told me I was going to hell for wearing my Metallica shirt to youth group.
edit on 12/30/2011 by martianmallow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by vogon42

Why post this thread?

I believe this was posted because this is a discussion forum. Its where people gather to discuss things.

I quit going to church because I found it to be too demeaning....why waste my time listening to some guy telling me that I'm a sinner, and I'm going to hell (unless I put enough money in his plate he keeps passing around).

and that is why I am giving this troll bait thread such a hard time.
How silly do you guys want to sound?
A guy that claims he quit going to church for 1 persons out of context 1 sentence statement nut claims he speaks greek and Hebrew when pressed (rolls eyes...ALOT) is backed up by a guy that feels it's common to be threatened by a collection plate offering or he will go to hell.
Dang people, if you are this petty turn off your tv.
If you gave a rl Christian perspective but what in the world are you or your parents up to to put you in such empty and vaccuous places of worship in the first place?
If you are echanging ideas spend more time with the muppets.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

A guy that claims he quit going to church for 1 persons out of context 1 sentence statement nut claims he speaks greek and Hebrew when pressed (rolls eyes...ALOT) is backed up by a guy that feels it's common to be threatened by a collection plate offering or he will go to hell.

If you gave a rl Christian perspective but what in the world are you or your parents up to to put you...

If you are echanging ideas...

Dude, please learn grammar, punctuation, and basic spelling.....then I will begin to take your posts seriously.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
You DO NOT have to go to church. You do NOT need a "mediator" between you and God. And I mean GOD, not Christ or any other polytheist notion.
If you pray to Christ, you are also praying to a mediator. You do not need to do that. You can pray to God directly. In fact, he COMMANDS you that you only worship Him, and no other.

So, no need for church.

Look, I'm a muslim. I do not have to go to the mosque. I can do it, to do the Salah (worship) - but the same worship I can do at home, on the street, on the beach, in the middle of a field. Anywhere.

If I want to LEARN about God, I also do not need a "pracher". I have the Book of God in front of me. Thank God there are ways and possibilities today to learn anything. If I do not understand a particular part of the book, there are commentaries and books that explain that.

So, maybe it was a good thing that thing with "your" preacher happened. Maybe if you had continued to go to that church you would have continued to kneel before an IDOL and pray to a HUMAN instead of God. And He does not like that at all.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by manna2

Why act so condescendingly towards others? Beliefs are subjective.
Second.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Your pastor should be a lot of things:

Group activities coordinator.

Counselor to all walks of life in his area, with privacy.

Music and speech authority.

Scripture authority.

Salesman.

Jesus expected them to be "fishers of men" or salesmen. Think about it. What does a fisherman do? Use bait? Prepare a net? Entrap?

That's a lot of job, especially in a large congregation.

I don't like the high wages, because suffering is good for the soul. My grandfather was a minister. He was also a wheat rancher. At the same time... He fixed his own cars. He visited each home of each family. He spoke at funerals, he presided over marriages. He walked the walk.

Just watch out for the ministers that look at it as a job in a business.

It should come from the heart.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
You should give it another try. Why judge an entire matter over one person/thing? That's an irrational reason for quitting anything.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by absssssss

i know passing judgment by what one person dose or says is being absent minded in its self but from all the responses i have gotten about other preachers and priest it seems to be wide spread

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Why post this thread?

If you gave a rl Christian perspective but what in the world are you or your parents up to to put you in such empty and vaccuous places of worship in the first place?

theres always atleast one a hole in the crowd and i believe i found them its funny how people go out of there way to talk crap about something they have no knowlodge of

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jim Scott
Your pastor should be a lot of things:

Group activities coordinator.

Counselor to all walks of life in his area, with privacy.

Music and speech authority.

Scripture authority.

Salesman.

Jesus expected them to be "fishers of men" or salesmen. Think about it. What does a fisherman do? Use bait? Prepare a net? Entrap?

I've actually given three churches a try. Two of them had preachers who where really good at the salesman thing, and not much else.

The other was a small.....85% of the congregation are blood relatives type church. (that felt just a bit to creepy)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Why post this thread?

my knowledge of this thread and you is based on what you have said, nothing more.
If you consider me an a hole, I wear the monicker proudly considering your posted logic and reasoning.
The same as being called a nut by a dysfunctional person or society.
I would be offended if you or society saw me as functional or cool. I would then have to reprogram from the mind numbing programming that is now the norm, kapiche?

Kind of like making life changing decisions based on the interpretation of appearance of1 persons1 sentence statement that becomes representative of a whole theology and institution at large.

theres always atleast one a hole in the crowd and i believe i found them its funny how people go out of there way to talk crap about something they have no knowlodge of

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I understand why you would have been very disappointed and disillusioned once you heard that preachers words.

He was not a very good preacher.

My brother is a priest, and he is not a very good one either so I know how disappointing it can be to be let down by someone you admire.

I hope you find what you are searching for, I suggest looking within yourself.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join